Bill Belichick and New England Patriots "parting ways"

I honestly wouldn't like to see it because the Pats are still smelly and stupid, and I like Mike Vrabel as a Head Coach. But him signing with the team he won three rings with would be a nice choice. Pats get a HC who made the playoffs three years in a row and is young to boot, so he's a good option to finally work towards a rebuild of the franchise.

My favorite recent Belichick memory was when someone asked him a question about long snappers in his press conference and he went into like a 15-minute filibuster about the history of the position.  Both helped him milk the clock on his mandatory media availability while also being a history lesson.

All the more reason I’d prefer he just go into a media and just talk football.  But I know he’ll coach again.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Busch Wyatt said:

My favorite recent Belichick memory was when someone asked him a question about long snappers in his press conference and he went into like a 15-minute filibuster about the history of the position.  Both helped him milk the clock on his mandatory media availability while also being a history lesson.

All the more reason I’d prefer he just go into a media and just talk football.  But I know he’ll coach again.

• Like 2

Stat of the day: Since 2000, there have been 24 Super Bowls and 24 college football title games. Belichick, Saban and Carroll have coached in 22 of those games (46%) and won 15 of them (31%)

9 hours ago, Lineker said:

It's huge sporting news which transcends just the NFL world. Same deal when Sir Alex Ferguson retired as Manchester Utd manager. 

Feels like karma whoring, gonna have to report 🫤

As Bill Simmons points out the only weird part about this is they still have to fill the GM seat and now whoever they hire doesn't have a say in coach.

Best guess though is they have a reasonably similar succession plan mapped out in-house.  With Mayo they could hire him immediately.  If they're promoting an in-house front office member who is white they will, unfortunately, have to make a sham of the Rooney process.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lineker said:

It's huge sporting news which transcends just the NFL world. Same deal when Sir Alex Ferguson retired as Manchester Utd manager. 

Linekles, can I request that once this story ceases to be ongoing news you merge it with the general NFL thread so that future EWB historians after we're all dead and gone will be able to build a complete picture of NFL talking points from this year by looking at the NFL thread alone? They are likely to think that it will be a one-stop shop for NFL discussion and overlook the existence of the other thread and this could be disastrous for future generations' understanding of what went on.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1