Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Only played through one, sent a shit act, with a shit song that I barely bothered to stage and successfully got nil points so I'm obviously doing something right.

As for the real one, I've got early starts tomorrow and on Sunday so not going to be able to follow it all this year but I should at least see the second semi and the performances on Saturday.

• Like 1

I'm all aboard the Rim Tim Tagi Dim hype train. Second year running a Rammstein-esque tribute run wild? Can't think of any big anniversaries the judges will want to win to try and hold back so hopefully get over the line.

• Like 2

• Admin

The Dutch Eurovision entrant did not take part in Friday's rehearsals for the song contest's final because of "an incident", organisers have said.

Joost Klein's props were being set up on stage inside the Malmö Arena when a production manager indicated they should be removed.

The European Broadcasting Union [EBU] said: "We are currently investigating an incident that was reported to us involving the Dutch artist. He will not be rehearsing until further notice.

"We have no further comment at this time and will update in due course."

No details about the nature of the incident have been revealed.

There was some confusion inside the arena during rehearsals as Klein’s song Europapa was skipped without explanation and Israel’s Eden Golan, who was next in the running order, took his place.

The last-minute change suggests the "incident" was recent – maybe even taking place as the two acts waited backstage.

The BBC has contacted the EBU for further explanation.

As rehearsals continued, organisers included Klein’s song in the voting montage, using footage from an earlier rehearsal. That suggests they think he will participate in Friday night's jury final.

The televised public final will take place on Saturday.

Israel's participation in Eurovision has been a source of controversy amid rising civilian deaths and a worsening humanitarian situation in Gaza, and there have been protests in the Swedish host city.

At a Eurovision press conference on Thursday, Klein asked Golan whether she had "ever thought that by being here you bring risk and danger for other participants and public?"

When the Israeli singer was told by the moderator that she did not have to answer the question, Klein chimed in: "Why not?"

Golan replied: "I think we're all here for one reason, and one reason only, and the EBU is taking all safety precautions to make this a safe and united place for everyone, and so I think it's safe for everyone and we wouldn't be here [if not]."

Earlier, when Klein was asked if his song could live up to the Eurovision slogan and unite people by music, he replied: "I think that's a good question for the EBU."

Footage has emerged of an Isreali journalist getting into an altercation with the Dutch delegation and loads of stories are going around at the moment. I'm sure there'll be some sort of statement but as it stands, he's removed all references to Eurovision on social media so it very much looks like he's on his way home from this whatever exactly has happened. This whole competition has turned into a minefield now with allegations of editing broadcasts, "irregular voting patterns" being cited and all sorts of other ridiculous things which is shit because actually, there weren't really any songs that I hated and musically I think it's one of the stronger fields throughout.

As a side note, I'm sad that San Marino didn't make it, I saw Megara at Download a few years ago, then in Spain supporting Babymetal last year so I like them and was hoping to see them again. There'll be a lot of rumours, speculation and more controversy to come, but for now, I just want to carry on listening to the songs on Spotify and I'll probably pop down to the Winchester and wait for all this to blow over.

----- update ----

Netherlands have indeed been removed from the running order for the jury show based on photos from the venue. Whatever has happened, it seems like it was evidently enough for them to completely remove him from the show

Edited by lanky316

The whole thing is a complete farce. I'd decided a while back to not watch this year, but I thought at very least they'd do a FIFA/WWE style job of hiding all the outside events, the fact they're potentially sending someone home the day before is getting silly.

Regardless of anything else, the voting is going to be a politicised mess.

This has been a shitshow and I think that Martin Osterdahl (the executive supervisor) will have to step down afterwards regardless. He's allowed a situation to get out of control and while I concede that the big picture isn't one that's easy to manage, at every opportunity they've allowed things to get worse. There has been enough stories about "incidents" involving delegations, media people complaining about censorship and all sorts of things that are out of the ordinary. If, as is being reported by Swedish press, the Dutch performer has hit someone moments before he was due to step on stage I'm not sure what is really going on. That on paper feels fairly open and shut and I'm shocked that ultimately nobody has actually been able to confirm if that is the case as it's not exactly going to have been an empty room where it happened! For what it's worth, at the show this evening they implied that they're hoping he'll be able to perform tomorrow but right now, it's just a load of nothing and that's just taking things further. Regardless, it compromises "the integrity" - I know.... - of the event as they're still expecting people to judge and position people based on hearsay, speculation and doubt and with this going on there's not much likelihood of that being down the middle even allowing for traditional elements of the vote.

As I said earlier, the worst thing is that this years music is generally pretty solid but none of that matters any more.

Joost Klein has officially been disqualified:

Statement on Dutch participation in the Eurovision Song Contest

The Dutch artist Joost Klein will not be competing in the Grand Final of this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.

Swedish police have investigated a complaint made by a female member of the production crew after an incident following his performance in Thursday night’s Semi Final. While the legal process takes its course, it would not be appropriate for him to continue in the Contest.

We would like to make it clear that, contrary to some media reports and social media speculation, this incident did not involve any other performer or delegation member.

We maintain a zero-tolerance policy towards inappropriate behaviour at our event and are committed to providing a safe and secure working environment for all staff at the Contest. In light of this, Joost Klein’s behaviour towards a team member is deemed in breach of Contest rules.

The Grand Final of the 68th Eurovision Song Contest will now proceed with 25 participating songs.

https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/statement-dutch-participation-eurovision-song-contest

• Like 1

I think they need to scrap the tradition of the winning nation hosting the following year's event. It would avoid the potential problem of repeat winners having to shoulder the financial burden and, more importantly, prevent problematic hosts.

If Israel win tonight, and there's a decent chance they will, the calls for a boycott will be increased massively. It could be very difficult for the contest itself to survive.

Apparently there was another incident that made Bambi Thug, the Irish entry in the contest, miss the flag parade dress rehearsal. But it looks like things are being taken care of and that they'll perform tonight.

According to the twitter account from an ESC fansite, the artists representing Greece and Switzerland were not present at the flag parade rehearsal as well.

Edit: Apparently Bambi Thug took offence with the commentary about their song during the Israeli broadcast of the 2nd semi-final: https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2024/0511/1448614-bambie-thug-angry-at-israeli-eurovision-commentary/

And the Norwegian spokesperson for the ESC has withdrawn from the finale tonight citing the "inflamed situation".

Edited by Hellraiser

Statement by the Dutch broadcaster regarding the disqualification of Joost Klein:

We have taken note of the disqualification by the EBU. AVROTROS finds the disqualification disproportionate and is shocked by the decision. We deeply regret this.

An incident occurred after last Thursday's performance. Against clearly made agreements, Joost was filmed when he had just gotten off stage and had to rush to the greenroom. At that moment, Joost repeatedly indicated that he did not want to be filmed. This wasn’t respected. This led to a threatening movement from Joost towards the camera. Joost did not touch the camera woman. This incident was reported, followed by an investigation by the EBU and police.

Yesterday and today we consulted extensively with the EBU and proposed several solutions. Nevertheless, the EBU has still decided to disqualify Joost Klein. AVROTROS finds the penalty very heavy and disproportionate. We stand for good manners -let there be no misunderstanding about that- but in our view, an exclusion order is not proportional to this incident.

We are very disappointed and upset for the millions of fans who were so excited for tonight. What Joost brought to the Netherlands and Europe shouldn’t have ended this way.

https://www.avrotros.nl/article/nederland-gediskwalificeerd-van-eurovisie-songfestival~527/

If this is really all it was, the disqualification is laughable.

And apparently the EBU went full WWE when the Israeli candidate performed. They turned off the crowd-mics and piped in cheers during their performance in the 2nd semi-finale:

Edited by Hellraiser

It's humiliating at this point. Fair enough if he's been abusive and so on and action needs to be taken due to zero tolerance for that behaviour. Okay, he's disqualified. Meanwhile we have incidents involving delegations (again, on camera and out there) being allowed to continue and while the disclaimer on that is that it's not the performer their message of zero-tolerance and providing a safe working environment rings hollow with it being allowed to continue and get this far. THANKFULLY this incident did not involve that delegation or things could have got even uglier and the bollocks about "people laughing about his dead parents" - presumably Christian has flown over for the event -  were proven to be bollocks. 

• Like 1

The whole build-up to the competition has been deflating. There are some fun acts in there, but nobody is having fun. I think Israel will do better than it should in the televote because of the "Stick it to the protestors" factor. The Italian televote leak as of a couple of days ago had Israel miles in the lead.

I suppose, at the very least, this event has been used as a means to amplify the concerns people have, but there's also an ugly side to some of the vitriol directed at Eden Golan personally. It epitomises the discussions around the whole conflict, really.

1 minute ago, METALMAN said:

Can I still boycott Eurovision if I haven't watched it for about 20 years?

Of course. Making a big song and dance about not doing something you never do anyway is the ultimate expression of protest.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The whole build-up to the competition has been deflating. There are some fun acts in there, but nobody is having fun. I think Israel will do better than it should in the televote because of the "Stick it to the protestors" factor. The Italian televote leak as of a couple of days ago had Israel miles in the lead.

Not surprising at all, the pro Israel vote goes to Israel, the anti Israel  vote gets spread between 20 odd countries.