Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Lineker

Indeed. It would be terrible if Eurovision became political. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hear the Croatian entry again tomorrow which is not political at all and certainly not made in response to any current geopolitical events:

No sir, no politics here. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hellraiser

I Wrote A Song is a genuinely good song, and would be a prime candidate for winning if it wasn't representing the most loathed country allowed to take part.

I'm going to assume it will be another Ukraine victory (and will assume the same until the war ends).

I don't really think the UK's popularity or lack thereof in Europe has ever made a noticeable difference. If you enter a good enough song, you do well. Germany, Portugal and the Netherlands usually end up near the bottom of the leaderboard, but they all put out uncharacteristically decent songs and got a victory. Sam Ryder might well have done the same last year if it hadn't been for the war in Ukraine.

As for I Wrote a Song, I think it's still better than the vast majority of UK efforts this century, but it doesn't strike me as a top candidate for the win. A top ten finish ought to be possible and should be seen as a success.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

I don't really think the UK's popularity or lack thereof in Europe has ever made a noticeable difference. If you enter a good enough song, you do well. Germany, Portugal and the Netherlands usually end up near the bottom of the leaderboard, but they all put out uncharacteristically decent songs and got a victory. Sam Ryder might well have done the same last year if it hadn't been for the war in Ukraine.

As for I Wrote a Song, I think it's still better than the vast majority of UK efforts this century, but it doesn't strike me as a top candidate for the win. A top ten finish ought to be possible and should be seen as a success.

I'll have you know we scored a top 3 and won once in the past decade. :shifty:

I Wrote A Song felt below par when it was announced and it's not really grown much on me, it could be a top 10 finish but I wasn't particularly impressed with it and it felt a big come down from Sam Ryder where it would have won pretty much any other year. I'm struggling to see past Loreen winning it back this time, Lord of the Lost are about to tour supporting Iron Maiden and are a band I've known people to be really in to over recent years so there could be a buzz of them performing better than people anticipate if the metal community jump on board with them.

Overall though I'm still leaning towards a Nordic 1-2 with Sweden ahead of Finland. Tattoo isn't as good as Euphoria was but it's still decent and she's a recent Eurovision legend while the Finnish guy seems to have charisma out the wazoo and it's a decent fun and catchy song so can see why they're both so fancied. If the awards go crazy for Loreen though I think it's going to be a scramble for second with the rest living off scraps and anyone who consistently picks up anything could go well in the chase.

I like our song, I'd heard it on the radio without even realising it was for Eurovision. Doesn't seem to be liked elsewhere though. Looks like Sweden might be in the running, I was pretty meh on that one.

I got the impression that the UK song was very good but the live performance let it down a lot. Anyway, the usual dull as dishwater results from the juries thusfar.