Connan to replace Leno...

St. Dubb

NBC is set to announce that Jay Leno will step down as host of "The Tonight Show" in 2009 and be replaced by Conan O'Brien, according to Variety.com.

Variety is reporting that this deal was brokered personally by NBC U head Jeff Zucker. O'Brien has inked a new long-term deal with NBC that guarantees him the hosting gig when Leno steps down.

Today is the 50 year anniversary of "The Tonight Show."

For the full story on Variety.com (subscription required), click here.

[Credit: Variety.com]

Edited by J-Dubb

Guest Ringmaster

Only problem, according to Variety and the Hollywood Reporter, is that Conan has to make his show somewhat tamer if he doesn't want to piss off the FCC, as the networks are given a freer reign after 12. But then again, who knows what 2009 will be like.

Edited by Ringmaster

I was seconds away from posting this when I decided to hit refresh to see that you posted it...

I'm kind of worried that Conan will have to tone down his jokes now that he is on the 11:35 slot. Plus I wouldn't be suprised if he started to get Jaded of this because in 2009 that will be his 16th season of the show. I know he is closing in on his 2000th show coming up and that is alot of shows for one person to do.

I was excited to hear this, great news and Conan has deserved it for years but Leno has been doing a good job getting ratings so NBC was really inbetween a rock and a hard place. Here's to 5 more years at 12:35 and hopefully another 16 at 11:35.

Edit: Didn't see ringmasters post... but remember that Leno talks about weed almost every show so I wouldn't thing he would have to lower it alot. I doubt we will see the masturbating bear anymore.

Edited by Slimg

Guest seattlebandfan9

Conan rules!

This would be awesome, although, I am also worried about it being lame. I dislike the Tonight Show as it stands now. However, like someone else said, 09 could be much different.

I hope that when the switch occurs, if Max and the rest of the people are there then they go with him. I think that Conan's show is great as it is at the moment.

Meh, Conan's on at the time he is for a reason. If he's moved to the 11:30 slot, then some of his characters and antics will have to be a little less risky, which would make the show a little less good. I mean, I'd take Conan over Leno at any time of any day of the week, but still -- Conan's good as he is.

Letterman's humor wasn't destroyed when he moved to 11:30. And Leno gets away with A LOT of risque humor, O'Brien will be no different. Might be somewhat tamer, but nothing drastic, plus he gets a bigger budget. And dammit, it's Conan getting the Tonight Show! Rejoice dammit!

I don't see how this is really good news at all. We all pretty much knew that Conan would inherit one of the 11:35 slots, only now we know that Leno's going to be around for 5 more years. That's easily 10 years too long. This is just a stopgap to keep Conan happy and prevent him from jumping when Letterman retires.