Bands you like...

Benji

We used to have a wrestlers thread like this, but I've been listening to Bowling For Soup and Good Charlotte, and I'm just thinking, why do people hate them so much? I think Good Charlotte, while selling out for a different image, the music they create is still great music. As for Bowling For Soup, why does everyone criticise them? They are catchy and fun, a band doesn't have to write about depression and crap like that to be 'cool' do they?

I don't know, just something that bothers me. So in order to create discussion, what bands do you like that seem to get shitted on by the so called 'smart' music fans.

Edited by Benji O' Doom~!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily bands that get "shitted on", so to speak, but bands that don't have as much integrity as some bands that I like are:

Savage Garden

Crowded House

Depeche Mode

New Order

Live

Looking at my CD collection, quite a lot of the stuff I like is "critically acceptable", but the bands I list above are ones that people nowadays either don't know much about,don't like, or just think they are "teh ghey and old".

You can possibly add Goo Goo Dolls and Hoobastank to that list.

Also, Morrissey and The Smiths can go there, as they are critically adored, but seem to have not as great commerical value, especially amongst younger music fans.

Edited by rvdwannabe

We used to have a wrestlers thread like this, but I've been listening to Bowling For Soup and Good Charlotte, and I'm just thinking, why do people hate them so much? I think Good Charlotte, while selling out for a different image, the music they create is still great music. As for Bowling For Soup, why does everyone criticise them? They are catchy and fun, a band doesn't have to write about depression and crap like that to be 'cool' do they?

You can predict all of Good Charlotte's songs though...it's all bitchy whineing that gives a bad name to what they are apparently trying to respresent. I wouldn't dislike them that bad if they hadn't of spawned the fan base they did.... urgh.

Anyways, bands\artists for me seem to go:

New Found Glory

Matthew Good (Not that he's trashed, he just doesn't seem to get covereage)

blink-182

And that's pretty much all that reminds constant, i'll drift in and out of listening to other music that might be trashed a bit, but I never really stay with it for more than one or two songs.

You can predict all of Good Charlotte's songs though...it's all bitchy whineing that gives a bad name to what they are apparently trying to respresent. I wouldn't dislike them that bad if they hadn't of spawned the fan base they did.... urgh.

No offence, but I hate this, surely a band is about music and not it's fan base?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't like thier music either, not at all, but also you have to look at the members themselves and what they're showing. Then, when i'm already as low as I can be, the fans are among the most obnoxious i've seen ever. I'm not saying GC is the only band that does it either, to a lesser extent (as I don't see such a fanatic fanbase) Simple Plan is the same way.

surely a band is about music and not it's fan base?

Yes, until they sellout. :P

I liked one of Bowling For Soups songs, the girl the bad guys want or something, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them. I utterly despise Good Charlotte though. Even if they didn't look like utter twats, their music is simple and boring. To me anyway, I guess there are some people who like them. Unfortunately <_<

Metallica

Godsmack

People dislike Metallica and Godsmack? :o

Metallica's newest stuff (last 3 albums) got panned, by most. Godsmack aren't totally disliked, but they get very little coverage/positive press.

I always loved St. Anger, the song, but yeah, the recent stuff is pretty bad, but Godsmack aren't really big enough to be hated by most surely?

Metallica

Godsmack

People dislike Metallica and Godsmack? :o

Metallica's newest stuff (last 3 albums) got panned, by most. Godsmack aren't totally disliked, but they get very little coverage/positive press.

I always loved St. Anger, the song, but yeah, the recent stuff is pretty bad, but Godsmack aren't really big enough to be hated by most surely?

As I said, they aren't hated, but not loved by all by any stretch of the imagination. For most, Godsmack appear to be one of those "meh" bands that are just there.

This thread is gonna lead to flame-city, but hey, who gives a fuck? (ie. my next sentence >_> ) Yes, Good Charlotte ARE complete poser twat/wannabes, but what else is new in the world of pop-music!?

Live, on the other hand are a very good band, i thought everyone knew about them? I've never heard any one say anything bad about them either, a very inoffensive lot.

In terms of my picks, hmm... This is hard since most of the music i listen to is dated, and hence people dont bother to shit on it (not that they would of heard of most of the bands, see sig, but hey), let's see....

-Sepultura? I've even warmed slightly to their most recent album after swearing off the post-Max line-up. Im a die-hard 'old-school' Sepultura fan, ie. anything from Roots on back i think is great, but i have always HATED derek green, his vocals really are complete shit compared to Maxs' in my opinion. Wait a minute, i'm criticising the band im complaining about other people criticising... Ok, how about, 'old' Sepultura? They seem to get no love whatsoever, at least from people i know.

-The White Stripes? I mean, not 'everyone' criticises them, but i've heard alot.

Edited by kaya

I've loved MUSE since I saw them supporting Ash in 1999.

A lot of people are always criticising them though and I really can't see why...Live they are astounding.

Opera meets modern rock.

I'm also a huge fan of Bjork. And people always complain about her voice and her being strange.

I tell you this, I kid you not, Bjork is one of the most important musicians in the music industry at the moment. At least she tries new things.

Other than that, the bands I like tend to be very credible as they're electro and people who aren't in the 'know' don't know enough about them to have a go at them...

This thread is gonna lead to flame-city, but hey, who gives a fuck? (ie. my next sentence >_> ) Yes, Good Charlotte ARE complete poser twat/wannabes, but what else is new in the world of pop-music!?

Live, on the other hand are a very good band, i thought everyone knew about them? I've never heard any one say anything bad about them either, a very inoffensive lot.

In terms of my picks, hmm... This is hard since most of the music i listen to is dated, and hence people dont bother to shit on it (not that they would of heard of most of the bands, see sig, but hey), let's see....

-Sepultura? I've even warmed slightly to their most recent album after swearing off the post-Max line-up. Im a die-hard 'old-school' Sepultura fan,  ie. anything from Roots on back i think is great, but i have always HATED derek green, his vocals really are complete shit compared to Maxs' in my opinion. Wait a minute, i'm criticising the band im complaining about other people criticising... Ok, how about, 'old' Sepultura? They seem to get no love whatsoever, at least from people i know.

-The White Stripes? I mean, not 'everyone' criticises them, but i've heard alot.

-Sepultura? I've even warmed slightly to their most recent album after swearing off the post-Max line-up. Im a die-hard 'old-school' Sepultura fan,  ie. anything from Roots on back i think is great, but i have always HATED derek green, his vocals really are complete shit compared to Maxs' in my opinion. Wait a minute, i'm criticising the band im complaining about other people criticising... Ok, how about, 'old' Sepultura? They seem to get no love whatsoever, at least from people i know.

Chaos AD rules hardcore!

White Stripes are good live, but not a band I'd listen to on CD.

And I mentioned Live, just because they seem to be under-rated, more than anything.