Bands you like...

Benji

They are catchy and fun, a band doesn't have to write about depression and crap like that to be 'cool' do they?

I never knew that song about Suicide was so fun and non-depressing. Or how about there new song? Do you even listen to Good Charlotte? Seriously, having listened to their songs before they ALWAYS sing about depression and most of there music isn't very fun.

Le Tigre - Ever since there self-titled album they haven't been very in with the music elite. But I still love. They are the most essential riot grrl band next to Bikini Kill. Plus they are chicks with attitude [not that fabricated mainstream attitude either] making dance music that has a punk-edge.

Justin Timberlake - yes, he is a corporate whore. Yes, his music is completely pop. But there is just something about him that makes me love him. Perhaps the unbelievably catchy beats and lyrics, dripping of cliche left and right, corporate logos everywhere. Perhaps the next Michael Jackson?

Edited by PunkRockPete

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll listen to Good Charlotte's music, but I only have their VERY first album (the one with "Little Things"), cause even tho I do like their music, I really think they arent as good as they were then.

I am a huge fan of Crazy Town, but damn that "Butterfly" song, once that was released they were finished. At least Shifty is having a decent solo run....

EVERYONE bashes Linkin Park in here, but I am a fan. I like more of the "harder" stuff, like "One Step Closer" and "Faint" rather that "Numb" or some of their other slower stuff.

This band is not really bashed, but they get no recognition and I felt the need to say their name to try and get all ofyou to go buy their album. Band is called Atomship, and they are, IMO, like Disturbed's first album...kind of, but not really.

The Rasmus are alright, I like their "Dead Letters" album, tho it seems they are kinda the laughing stock of the industry right now...

If I think of more, I'll be back.

I'd agree with CSAMH on Bjork, she's fan-fucking-tastic. An actual artist, rather than just a musician.

Speaking purely from my friends views, not many can get into Sikth, whilst I'm maintaining they will become the most fantastic band over the next few years and at a live show they are utterly captivating.

Hundred Reason's last album was slated, but I think they make really decent music and whilst not that original, are slightly distinctive in a MTV world of rubbish emo bands.

And I'm I the only person who doesn't see the attraction to Metallica? Ever? They're built up by many to be these metal gods, and I've never really enjoyed listening to them at all. Maybe it's because my friends raved about them when we were like 11, then I heard them expecting sheer brilliance and was disappointed by the, IMO, fucking average nature of their guitars, bass, drums and vocals. In short - their whole sound.

They are catchy and fun, a band doesn't have to write about depression and crap like that to be 'cool' do they?

I never knew that song about Suicide was so fun and non-depressing. Or how about there new song? Do you even listen to Good Charlotte? Seriously, having listened to their songs before they ALWAYS sing about depression and most of there music isn't very fun.

That was about Bowling For Soup if you'd bothered to read, idiot.

Bowling For Soup, quite like their cover of "1985". I despise how Kidz Bop *wretches at the name* has butchered it much like they've done with Modest Mouse's "Float On". It made me cry.

I've never heard any one say anything bad about them either

Did you miss the rest of this thread? :shifty:

Yeah. Whether you like the band or not SHOULD be based on the music. Unfortunately, I do base it on the music, and that makes me hate GC even more...

As for bands I like that the media/people in gneral shit on..where do I start?

Nickelback

Creed

The Goo Goo Dolls (they don't really get shit on, but they don't get hyped as much as they deserve)

InMe

The Darkness (the only reason I can come up with for why people hate them so much is that for once, someone is popular and good at the same time. People don't like that, they want to be different, so they proclaim to hate The Darkness and only listen to them on iPods when nobody else can hear.

I despise Nickelback and Creed, but your point about The Darkness is well founded, and I think they are awesome.

Also, fineintent, I agree with you on the Sikth comments...it took a while for me to get into them, but now I have, and seen them live, they should be something for the future.

There probably isn't a whole lot I can list, for the most part people probably haven't heard much of what I listen to. On the other hand, alot of people enjoy the stuff I play when they get a chance to hear it.

The Sex Pistols - I hear so much crap about them being a "manufactured band" which is complete bullshit. Some people believe they are a terrible band, when the reality is they played good rock and roll. There was nothing overly special about them, but they have a great sound.

G.G. Allin - A fellow whose reputation has caused people to stray away and criticize him. When G.G. Allin had the Jabbers and Scumfucks behind him, he produced alot of great songs. Believe it or not, G.G.'s work with the Jabbers has a very poppy element in it.

Dying Fetus - Metal fans probably will enjoy them, but most of the mainstream music lovers shun them as "screamy, noisy crap". I enjoy their fast and agressive sound, and the growling vocals is the perfect compliment to it.

G.G. Allin - A fellow whose reputation has caused people to stray away and criticize him. When G.G. Allin had the Jabbers and Scumfucks behind him, he produced alot of great songs. Believe it or not, G.G.'s work with the Jabbers has a very poppy element in it.

Can you tell me anything about his reputation? I've been wondering ever since I saw the segement in CKY4.

The Sex Pistols - I hear so much crap about them being a "manufactured band" which is complete bullshit. Some people believe they are a terrible band, when the reality is they played good rock and roll. There was nothing overly special about them, but they have a great sound.

Totally agree. I think that their piss-ass manager was manufacturing them to an extent, but the core of the Sex Pistols was raw and very entertaining to watch. Kurt Cobain as a lead singer HAS nothing on Johnny Rotten. The Sex Pistols introduced me to hundreds of bands that I know listen to, so I will always defend them to the grave because of there influence on me and the entire music business.

Dying Fetus - Metal fans probably will enjoy them, but most of the mainstream music lovers shun them as "screamy, noisy crap". I enjoy their fast and agressive sound, and the growling vocals is the perfect compliment to it.

Going to see them when they support Nile in March \m/

The only I can think of is Sum 41. I'm not a huge HUGE follower, but I do like their music very much and support them 100%. They don't claim to be the best band in the world, nor do they claim be one of the better, but they are a group of 4 guys from Ajax, Ontario, making some catchy tunes and having a good time along the way. They are hilarious too, one of the funniest bands I have ever seen. I have watched quite a few specials on them and seen one of their DVDs, all of which were really funny. I'm used to some people telling me that they are just a poser punk rockers or that they are a boy band with guitars (which doesn't make sense to me). Whatever, they have pop elements, they aren't the best musicians, but their CD's have some great songs one them. I actually think their style is very original, borrowing different elements from diferent styles and making a kind of unique sound. That's what I think and I know a lot of people around here probably despise Sum 41, but I don't care, I think they're awesome. Plus, they make some killer music videos.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Blink 182, but I don't really think they get much bashing.

I don't mind some of linkin parks older stuff, And numb is a nice song.

Uhm, I like one or two of good charlotte's older stuff.

Also, Frank ferdinand,muse, Keane and coldplay all fucking rock.

Edited by Dan