Video Games Becoming More and More Mainstream

zero

So it's no secret video games have come a lot further than where they were twenty years, even thirty years ago. They're no longer kids toys or for the creepy guy that hangs out in the arcade, they're almost a legit artform. We see it in the entertainment industry with everyone needing a PS2 or Xbox in their Hummer, we see video game award shows, we have a channel devoted almost exclusively to video games. Even recently, I've been hearing radio ads for Mech Assault 2 and while it's amazing enough to hear commercials for video games on the radio, the background music was Getting Away With Murder and then the next time I heard it Right Now by KoRn. It was an incredibly well put together radio spot and just struck me to discuss this in the first place.

That said, we still got a long way to go. Angry politicians and out of touch parents still look at them as nothing more than kids toys. When it's been proven the average gamer is now in their late 20s and more and more mature games keep coming to the market. My question to you is, what does the video game industry have to do to be taken completely seriously? What do they have to do to get M-Rated games looked at in the same light as an R-Rated movie instead of being looked at as the dirty game on the "nintendo thing the kids play with?"

Video games will always have their doubters, but The generation of young people (Under 30's) who are growing up now, will in 20-30 years be the older people and will look at games seriously because they grew up with them, unlike the older people who grew up diddling their fingers or some shit.

So it's no secret video games have come a lot further than where they were twenty years, even thirty years ago.  They're no longer kids toys or for the creepy guy that hangs out in the arcade, they're almost a legit artform.  We see it in the entertainment industry with everyone needing a PS2 or Xbox in their Hummer, we see video game award shows, we have a channel devoted almost exclusively to video games.  Even recently, I've been hearing radio ads for Mech Assault 2 and while it's amazing enough to hear commercials for video games on the radio, the background music was Getting Away With Murder and then the next time I heard it Right Now by KoRn.  It was an incredibly well put together radio spot and just struck me to discuss this in the first place.

That said, we still got a long way to go.  Angry politicians and out of touch parents still look at them as nothing more than kids toys.  When it's been proven the average gamer is now in their late 20s and more and more mature games keep coming to the market.  My question to you is, what does the video game industry have to do to be taken completely seriously?  What do they have to do to get M-Rated games looked at in the same light as an R-Rated movie instead of being looked at as the dirty game on the "nintendo thing the kids play with?"

As video games become more and more realistic, of course people will want them.

I know forty year old people who you would think would look at video games and go "stupid kids" but play them themselves. In 20 years when we're all old, we'll still play games (or I will at least) and as the new generation comes, the video game is gonna get huge.

That is, unless EA buys everything out.

It's a bit weird too, because I bet you if Manhunt was a movie, then turned into a video game, it'd be critically acclaimed or some such shit.

Natural Born Killers?

Well, parts of it definitely reminded me of the Manhunt commercials I saw. Killers was out first so it would definitely be a case of Manhunt ripping it off.

And Killers definitely was both acclaimed and hated at the same time, depending on who you asked.

It's a slow process but I think eventually it will be seen as an art form rather than kidsplay. The fact that there are channels dedicated to video games and they play a role in popular culture means that the younger generation has accepted it. It's just the older folks who haven't. Either time will change their views, or they'll just die out.

The older generation grew up with Pong and Space Invaders. They fon't get the appeal of games like GTA and Mortal Kombat. Once the current 16-25 generation grows up and has kids, games will be more appreciated.

I know for a fact that I'm not going to stop playing games just because I have a fmaily and a job.

There are a full range of games for every interest, and the range of selection gets bigger every year. With games getting more realistic, this should catch more mainstream attention.

My 64 year old driving instructor always goes on about how he can reinact old wars such as the Battle of Hastings and other olden times wars with certain RPG games. This was no near possible years ago, but now a subject he is rather interested in can be captured in a video game.

Video games is a growing market IMO, and with computer being in the majority of homes now, everyone will have at least one video game for their PC within the next few years.

The older generation grew up with Pong and Space Invaders. They fon't get the appeal of games like GTA and Mortal Kombat. Once the current 16-25 generation grows up and has kids, games will be more appreciated.

I know for a fact that I'm not going to stop playing games just because I have a fmaily and a job.

Same here, people always say that we'll grow out of it or something, but I see it being a common thing that people have parents and then grandparents who play video games. Another thing i'm happy about is the fact that it's become less and less nerdy to actually play games.

My dad's one of the few of the Pong generation I know that enjoys games. He is actually capable of taking me apart on Madden because he's very knowledgeable about American Football, and he can actually employ real life strategies and stuff in order to win the game, which is cool, because his gameplaying skills are normally rubbish :P. And I have great fun playing with him, because it's sometimes more of a challenge playing him than the computer, although I have bagged a few victories recently :D

He also enjoyed playing Championship Manager, though it's a bit too time consuming for him to play anymore.

• 10 years later...

I decided to hit "last page" on Coin-Op Arcade and this thread was #1. Thought it'd be interesting to revive it since it's over a decade since it was raised. How far have video games come in the mainstream over the last decade? With the release of the Wii in 2006, video games became into a massive part of not just all gamers, but even the casual person. Now parents and grandparents play games, be it on console, or on their mobile phones. We still have contraversies, but these days they're more internal within gaming culture thanks to a widespread level of acceptance of the genre as "not just for geeks in their bedrooms" (though most of us are :shifty: ).

I was reading 2005 and 16-25 year olds and thinking 'that's only 5 or 6 years ago'. It's a decade and I was 22. :(

Also ROC's post on the fall of Disney is fascinating in hindsight. Make higher rated movies? Fuck that, we'll just buy Marvel and Star Wars.

Edited by Ultra Rare Colly

Games have come along way in that time, mainstream wise. However smart phones, DLC and the freemium model has set them back eyars creatively and have mde it easier than ever to make money from incomplete, inferior products.

• Like 1

They've also crossed over well, not only do we now get actors turning up and actually performing in games, not just Hardy Boyz in Attitude mocap style but dedicating the time and work they would to any other role and games are often much better for it. On the same side of that coin though, we're now seeing the scores turning up in the Classic FM hall of fame as the music industry acknowledges the quality of scoring there the same as film soundtracks, in more popular music we can look at how the Rock Band platform, and the Hero games caught the eye and support. Going from 30 "as made famous by..." songs to having hundreds/thousands of licensed tracks to play in your own home.

On the negative, as budgets have gone up and the need to push things have gone up creativity at the top can largely be down. You still do get decent different takes in Indie games but for the most part, as far as accessibility goes AAA feel semi-samey with very few real "wow" moments. I also despise the rise of Freemium and Pay to Win becoming a more reliable form of business then actual releases.

I also hate the idea this topic is over a decade old :(

• Like 1

I legit don't understand how you can look at a gaming landscape fraught with "brooding white dude battles evil in gritty setting" titles and BATTLEFIELD MURDERCOPSQUAD and blame mobile for ruining creativity.

• Like 8