Son of the Mask insult to the real history

Guest The Dark Vampire

Guest The Dark Vampire

The reason Son Of The Mask sucks is because it is not the real version of The Mask history even the original Jim Carrey movie was not a true version of the comic book mask which was made my Dark Horse Comics where it was more of a adult orientated horror comic than anything else as The Mask was a murder .

The truth is when New Line movies bought the rights to it they planned a new horror movie series franchise as Freddy and Jason both owned by them were dieing out and they had already killed Freddy off by this point

Here is a brief history on The TRUE Mask origins and you will see just how it differs from the kids movie

The Mask is a mystic artefact which is capable of transforming the wearer into a crazed living cartoon type person . Originally from Africa, it was stolen and took to The USA to be sold

Before this it was locked away and no human had put it on for many years possibly even hundreds of years

Stanley Ipkiss was the first person in modern times to put the mask on bt he was a neurotic person He first found it lying in an antiques shop, and bought it as a present for his girlfriend Kathy. What he did not realise is that The Mask is able to sense evil in a person's heart, and called out to Stanley, and made him try it on.

He tuned into The Mask and then killing spree where he took revenge on anybody who had ever hurt or pissed him off He was dubbed Big-Head my the media and public

In the end Stanley managed to take Mask off. but then it took control of his girlfriend Kathy, who then murdered Stanley.

Kathy also was able to take off the Mask, and gave it to police officer Lt. Kellaway for safe-keeping. She told him to never in no circumstances to put it on or let anybody else do so .

But later he tried it on as a joke and became an crazed vigilante, he decided to destroy invulnerable mob killer Walter and other criminals

In the end Mask drove him mad and it was only when he almost killed a good friend who got in his way that convinced him to give up wearing it. He buried under his basement.

However the mobsters he had attacked hunted him down, and Kellaway tried to retrieve the Mask free off the cement floor.

But was wounded before he could get it the Mask hen took over a nerd man who was only used by the mob as a driver, he then took over the entire local criminal underworld. However Kathy tracked him down, and tricked him into taking off the Mask, then she killed him.

By the time this happened Walter had gotten out of prison by this point and in a new fight between the mobster and Kathy once again wearing Mask saw the loss of the Mask the presumed death of Walter.

But sometime later the Mask was found once again, this time by 4 high school kids who shared it around between them. But Walter was not dead as thought and he to had returned looking for revenge

After this it fell into the hands of an embittered comic book artist whose wife had been murdered by the mob, who went on a murderous rampage

After this Dark Horse did crossover comics with it with other comic book makers most notably DC (Detective Comics)

IT stared falling through the parallel dimensions finally ending up coming out the Vortex into Comic's Greatest World.

The next wearer used it to hunt for his missing sister in New Orleans,

The last real know wearer was no other than The Joker where he used it to try and did successfully defeat Batman

After Joker lost it the Mask has continued to move from wearer to wearer, leaving chaos murder and destruction in it's wake

I would say to anyone get the comics and see how The Mask should be

But sometime later the Mask was found once again, this time by 4 high school kids who shared it around between them. But Walter was not dead as thought and he to had returned looking for revenge

I remember reading a few of the old Mask comics, and that one where the kids share it comes to mind. I agree that this Son of The Mask film looks bollocks, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it insulted the history, because I really don't care about the comic to be honest :P

The Jim Carrey film was alright in itself, and wouldn't have minded a true sequel to that, but this just looks horrible to me.

That reminds me of that TV Show Dead Mans Gun, that Kris Kristofferson used to narrate.

To be honest I don't really care about the comic books, the first film was OK but the sequel looks crap anyway.

Guest The Dark Vampire

I do believe thou if New Line had gone with the original plan and made the horror movie we would be on about part 6 by now.

Even thou I did like the first movie in general I would of liked the horror better they could of done something else with Jim even a similar sort of movie but just of left The Mask as it was.

Son of the Mask looks so horrible its not even funny. I really do hope that it bombs in the theaters. When I was at the movies with my friend and saw the preview, he started telling me that it looked hallarious and that he was going to see it. I proceded to slap him and leave him there. Stupid fool. :shifty:

Guest The Dark Vampire

The comics were actuality good I only gave a brief rundown but films almost always mess up comic book/graphic novels anyway just look at Alien vs. Predator the film sucked while graphic novel was fantastic they even made a follow up Aliens vs. Predator vs. Terminator which to was a fantastic read. The only good movies to be made from comic books are the recent Marvel movies

The problem I have is they couldn’t of changed The Mask more if they tried I suppose if I didn’t read the comics before seeing the movie then I wouldn’t be as bothered but I do understand ppl would prefer the movie as it was made

• 18 years later...

17 minutes ago, damhausen said:

There is no way to properly articulate how seeing "18 years later" pop up on my screen as I scrolled through this topic made me feel.

I hope wherever they are The Dark Vampire still hates Son of The Mask.

I probably prefer The Mask to Son of The Mask and also Mask. But I've not any of them in a long time.

Ive no strong opinions on M.A.S.K though

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hobo said:

I hope wherever they are The Dark Vampire still hates Son of The Mask.

I probably prefer The Mask to Son of The Mask and also Mask. But I've not any of them in a long time.

Ive no strong opinions on M.A.S.K though

M.A.S.K. is good compared to other shows of the time, the racing series is a bit meh, but T-Bob is a total bitch through out.

Also a banging theme.

• Like 2