Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone put up a list of the Pokemon that help your EVs? I've got a copy of the walkthrough for platinum and it only lists 6 Pokemon as EV boosters, is that accurate?

Those Pokemon are:

Bidoof - HP

Machop - Attack

Geodude - Defense

Gastly - Sp Attack

Tentacool - Sp Defense

Starly - Speed

<_< well played, but I was referring to Emerald and/or Pearl

Sorry, it just seemed like the answer to give.

The only way to get the items needed for getting the event-only Pokemon was at the events themselves. I'm 90% sure they're key items and so can't be traded, so if you didn't go to the events then you're SOL on getting the Pokemon unless you either trade for one or cheat.

Can anyone put up a list of the Pokemon that help your EVs? I've got a copy of the walkthrough for platinum and it only lists 6 Pokemon as EV boosters, is that accurate?

Those Pokemon are:

Bidoof - HP

Machop - Attack

Geodude - Defense

Gastly - Sp Attack

Tentacool - Sp Defense

Starly - Speed

Every Pokemon helps your EVs in one way or another. Those six are all correct, but they aren't the only ones that give EVs in that stat. Just for another six off the top of my head, Chansey gives HP, the Luxray line gives Attack, Steelix gives Defense, Kadabra gives SpAtk IIRC, Mantine gives SpDef and Pikachu gives Speed.

Look on one of the Pokemon fansites, like Serebii, and you'll probably find a full list (I know Serebii has one).

Benji is sex.

He also reminded me of the easiest Pokemon to find and battle for Speed EVs: ZUBAT!

That fucking bat that shows up everywhere? Gives 1 Speed EV every time you smack one. If you're ever looking at training Speed EVs, just go to a random cave and go nuts.

Benji is sex.

He also reminded me of the easiest Pokemon to find and battle for Speed EVs: ZUBAT!

That fucking bat that shows up everywhere? Gives 1 Speed EV every time you smack one. If you're ever looking at training Speed EVs, just go to a random cave and go nuts.

I feel guilty doing that, 'cause I love me the 'bats :(

Okay really.. what do I need to know about effective Pokemon training? I had Diamond at one point, but sold it with my DS and now that I have Platinum I need to know what's going on with all this stuff... this is the first I've heard of EVs and I emulated all the GBA Pokemon games... I just fast forwarded leveling really... now I need to know what's really going on.

Where I am right now... I just got my second badge and I'm in the city that has Team Galactic stealing everyone's Pokemons. My team right now is;

Prinplup Lvl. 16

Machop Lvl. 19

Ponyta Lvl. 22

Bibarel Lvl. 16

Geodude Lvl. 11

So, any tips on effective training?

Im playing pearl at the moment, and bearing in mind I have no knowledge of which pokemon are any good, I find myself swapping out Pokemon ALL the time. I usually get to a certain point in the game and train all the Pokemon to a certain level, and then move on, but I find this time around, as I train them up to 20, I find a pokemon that looks like it could be awesome, or is a Magikarp, and decide to put them in my team. Meaning I have to train THEM up as well. I swear I have about 13 pokemon at level 20 or near that at the moment, and have not decided in the slightest who my best team is. I quite like it actually.

Okay really.. what do I need to know about effective Pokemon training? I had Diamond at one point, but sold it with my DS and now that I have Platinum I need to know what's going on with all this stuff... this is the first I've heard of EVs and I emulated all the GBA Pokemon games... I just fast forwarded leveling really... now I need to know what's really going on.

Where I am right now... I just got my second badge and I'm in the city that has Team Galactic stealing everyone's Pokemons. My team right now is;

Prinplup Lvl. 16

Machop Lvl. 19

Ponyta Lvl. 22

Bibarel Lvl. 16

Geodude Lvl. 11

So, any tips on effective training?

EV training is only really useful for competitive battling against real people. In the game against the AI it's not really something you need to concern yourself with. The same thing really applies to natures, they're not something you need to really worry yourself about too much. They'll add a bit of a bonus to certain stats.

My advice regarding your team for in-game play is to switch out a few of your Pokemon for ones that focus more on Special Attacks. Aside from Prinpulp, all of your Pokemon are regular attackers, so you'll have trouble against teams with high defense.

You'll want to keep your types rounded out so you can tackle any situation, so having two water types like Prinplup and Bibarel is one water type too many. So you may want to drop one (Bibarel, if I had to choose). Replace it with a Special Attacker (Abra, Ralts, etc) to help you out when you start running into high defense teams.

It's also usually a good idea to pick Pokemon that can learn a wide variety of moves. Check their move lists, TM lists, move tutor lists, etc and see what moves they can learn. Prinplup can learn a lot of different moves including Ice Beam (Ice), Grass Knot (Grass), Toxic (Poison), and Signal Beam (Bug)...just to give you an example of it's variety. Teach it one water move (I suggest Surf), and then try to teach it moves that help cover it's weaknesses, and make it more useful in a variety of different situations.

Water is weak against grass, but grass is weak to Poison (Toxic), Bug (Signal Beam), etc. So teaching it either of those moves will help you counter if the AI throws a grass type out at you.

Right, so I've sorted my team out...nearly. I've got a Gyarados, Luxray, Bronzong, Monfero, an egg and ....a Kricketune. Now, even though Kricketune does have X Swipe on it, which does the damage, I've never liked Bug Pokemon. Anyone recommend any replacements?

Right, so I've sorted my team out...nearly. I've got a Gyarados, Luxray, Bronzong, Monfero, an egg and ....a Kricketune. Now, even though Kricketune does have X Swipe on it, which does the damage, I've never liked Bug Pokemon. Anyone recommend any replacements?

You got online? I can send you a scyther egg if you want it.

:o MAKE IT A BLISSEY!

I dub my Blissey the "Noob-Cannon" It sits there taking punishment and dishing out Hyper Beam...it's like a Pokemon Turret.

...an interesting Blissey. Boltbeam is superior though.

Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Softboiled/Light Screen is hilarious against Special attackers.

Edited by DoubleX