Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

I don't want to waste my TM's like that <_< Hyper Beam is cheap as!

You can buy Hyper Beam, so it doesn't matter. Boltbeam is much better though as someone mentioned.

...my post is right there. Are you too lazy to check the name on the post? >_>

Anyway, as I said to Plubby on MSN, Hyper Beam requires a cooldown turn, fails against Ghosts and isn't great against Rock and Steel types. Boltbeam, on the other hand, hits everything at least neutral except Chinchou, Lanturn, Surskit and Shedinja. If your team has trouble taking on Lanturn or Shedinja, then that's a worry.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

So, remember that guy in Celadon City (?) in R/B/Y that was in the big building and said come back to him when you've filled the PokeDex? Yeah, what does he ever do? I've never completed the game to that standard.

So, remember that guy in Celadon City (?) in R/B/Y that was in the big building and said come back to him when you've filled the PokeDex? Yeah, what does he ever do? I've never completed the game to that standard.

In R/B/Y, he gives you an in-game certificate (not an item, just an on-screen certificate) for completing the 'dex. There's been a guy like that in each game since, and now there's varying certificates for completing that region's 'dex and then the national 'dex (all of them).

In R/B/Y, he gives you an in-game certificate (not an item, just an on-screen certificate) for completing the 'dex. There's been a guy like that in each game since, and now there's varying certificates for completing that region's 'dex and then the national 'dex (all of them).

Where is that in Diamond/Pearl, cause I visited Oak, and he gave me a pat on the back and promptly told me to fuck off. There was no certificate. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having loads of fun with Pokemon Ruby right now, which I've always owned but never played for a reason that is beyond me. I think I was put off by the mass amount of new Pokemon, but I worked around that by only catching the first two generations. I'm currently trying to figure out how the hell to get back to Rustboro to fight my father for his Gym Badge, and my team consists of Geodude, Skarmory, Kadabra, Gyarados and Combusken. Awesome fun.

I completed my Pearl game last year and completed my dex except for the two legendaries unavailable at the time.

Is there anything particularly special about Platinum that makes it worth starting a new game on?

So I'm playing through Pokémon Diamond, and I've played for 110 hours and got three badges.

No, I didn't leave my DS on for a day, I decided to train up every Pokémon I caught to the same level, currently they're all at Level 30. I'm not sure why I decided to do this, I think it was based on me not having a great knowledge of Gen III/IV Pokémon, so I didn't want to miss out on a good new Pokémon by favouring the older ones.

And that's awesome news about the Gen II re-makes. It's just scary that they came out ten years ago...

I got Platinum this morning (got rid of some games I never play, so got Pokemon and Zelda: Twilight Princess). I'm a couple of hours into it, having jut gotten my first gym badge and so far it's good. Like all pokemon games, it's fun and annoyingly addictive. My team so far consists of:

Turtwig - Level 16 (Ravor Leaf made the first gym far too easy)

Shinx - Level 13 (was my number one at one point, before Turtwig started owning all the rock types we came across)

Starly - Level 9 (Next on my level up list)

Bidoof - Level 7 (Useless)

Geodude - Level 4 (caught it and the found far better ones for leveling up)

I got Platinum this morning (got rid of some games I never play, so got Pokemon and Zelda: Twilight Princess). I'm a couple of hours into it, having jut gotten my first gym badge and so far it's good. Like all pokemon games, it's fun and annoyingly addictive. My team so far consists of:

Turtwig - Level 16 (Ravor Leaf made the first gym far too easy)

Shinx - Level 13 (was my number one at one point, before Turtwig started owning all the rock types we came across)

Starly - Level 9 (Next on my level up list)

Bidoof - Level 7 (Useless)

Geodude - Level 4 (caught it and the found far better ones for leveling up)

With the Bidoof, either keep it and level it up until it evolves or catch a Bibarel later as they're excellent HM whores. Starly will be useful for Fly and Defog down the line also.

My team in Platinum consists of:

Infernape - Lvl 61

Golduck - Lvl 62 (Was very useful during the Elite 4)

Steelix - Lvl 55

Garchomp - Lvl 55

Bibarel - HM Whore

Staravia - HM Whore

For the Elite 4 fight I had Giratina with me as back up, but it never got used.

You'll want a fire type as you go on. Ponyta is the only one in the game other than the starter I think. Though you could also evolve the Eevee you're given into a Flareon.

By some ridiculous coincidence I began playing Platinum again earlier today, I was at Pastoria last time, deciding on what to do for my final Pokémon since I couldn't get Milotic without trading (and I had wanted every Pokémon in a different ball type, and since I already had the starter and wanted this team to beat the Elite Four it was a pain), so for some reason whilst deciding what to do, I had stopped playing. Picked it up and played a bit more, settled on grabbing the Milotic in trade since it was basically the original choice for this "game run" team (I had never raised one before) so I'm on the run to beat the Elite Four, then I may raise that fully trained EV, natured etc team I've long contemplated... yeah... that last bit will never happen, don't have the patience :shifty:

Infernape - Lvl 61

Steelix - Lvl 55

Garchomp - Lvl 55

Bibarel - HM Whore

Staravia - HM Whore

I know it's in-game, but haha you're so lucky you didn't run into a Starmie, or for that matter any Water type that can use Energy Ball or Thunderbolt.

Infernape - Lvl 61

Steelix - Lvl 55

Garchomp - Lvl 55

Bibarel - HM Whore

Staravia - HM Whore

I know it's in-game, but haha you're so lucky you didn't run into a Starmie, or for that matter any Water type that can use Energy Ball or Thunderbolt.

Indeed I am. For a while there I was fucked every time a Gyrados came up. Had to get Infernape to learn Thunder Punch and Steelix to learn Thunder Fang to overcome this slight oversight. >_>

Infernape - Lvl 61

Steelix - Lvl 55

Garchomp - Lvl 55

Bibarel - HM Whore

Staravia - HM Whore

Indeed I am. For a while there I was fucked every time a Gyrados came up. Had to get Infernape to learn Thunder Punch and Steelix to learn Thunder Fang to overcome this slight oversight. >_>

Actually yes how the hell did I miss that weakness as well? I remember shortly after all the information for DP was released, and probably around the time it was released in Japan, people were putting up potential competitive teams to be rated, and the most common response was "Gyarados weak". That thing is a beast.

Giving Garchomp or Steelix Stone Edge or Rock Slide would've been a fix as well, but Thunderpunch works I guess. Gyarados can't abuse HP Flying any more so you just need to watch out for Aqua Tail.