Official Transfer Thread

Guest The Real Deal

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Jon Stead has completed his proposed move from Blackburn Rovers to Sunderland.

The England Under-21 international almost joined The Black Cats when leaving Huddersfield Town but opted instead for a Premiership switch by heading for Ewood Park.

After a fabulous first campaign with Rovers, he struggled last term and only netted two goals, although one of them was a valuable winner at Everton.

Charlton Athletic were also keen to recruit the striker but Stead decided a move to Wearside would most benefit his career at this stage.

A £1.8 million deal was struck with Blackburn and the 22-year-old has penned a four-year contract with his new club.

"I had a choice between Sunderland and Charlton," he told Sunderland's official website. "I spoke to both parties and had a look around.

"It was just the feeling I got when I came here.

"It's a massive club, a Premiership club and I have every confidence we will be a Premiership club for many seasons to come."

Mick McCarthy was delighted to secure one of his top transfer targets.

"I'm thrilled to have Jonathan on board," he enthused. "He's a great signing for us."

"He is an England Under-21 international and he has scored goals in the Premier League.

"Jonathan is the kind of lad who will fit into our squad and team ethic straight away."

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends........

Stead basically sums up Everton Football Club in one player. He'll have an awesome year, then do nothing, then do well, then do very little again.

If he can have a good season next time round, he may be enough to keep a good Sunderland side in the top flight.

Rangers clinch deal for Hemdani

Brahim Hemdani

Rangers have signed out-of-contract Marseille captain Brahim Hemdani on a four-year deal.

The 27-year-old, who can play in central defence or in midfield, was a target for a number of top clubs.

Chief executive Martin Bain told the club website: "The Bosman market is competitive and Leverkusen, Real Betis, Everton and Bolton were interested."

"The player was impressed by the facilities we have and, of course, the prospect of Champions League football."

Bain went on to reveal that Rangers manager Alex McLeish has been keeping tabs on the tough Algerian-born player for 18 months.

He said: "Alex and I watched him against Newcastle two seasons ago and Alex has followed his progress ever since.

I hope that McLeish has pulled off another coup but I am sceptical if nothing else

From C

Have your say on Fans' Forum

"We had talks with Brahim last week and flew him to Glasgow to have his medical and to have a look at Ibrox and Murray Park.

"We gave him the weekend to make up his mind and we were delighted to get the call indicating he was going to join us.

"He is an experienced and very professional player."

Hemdari has repeatedly rejected calls to represent Algeria at international level but has never been called up by France.

Newcastle will hold talks with Chelsea's Scott Parker on Tuesday as they close in on a £6.5m deal.

BBC Sport understands that Parker has travelled to Tyneside to meet Newcastle officials as boss Graeme Souness hopes to sign the 24-year-old midfield man.

Everton had targeted Parker but have lost out and Souness is also confident of beating Toffees boss David Moyes to land Inter Milan's Belizoglu Emre.

Newcastle believe they are close to a deal for the Turkish midfield man.

Souness feared that he could lose Parker to Spurs, with Chelsea possibly using the England midfield man as a bargaining chip in the row over sporting director Frank Arnesen's expected departure to White Hart Lane.

But Newcastle have now agreed terms with Chelsea and are understood to be prepared to match his reported £55,000-a-week wage packet at Stamford Bridge.

Everton manager Moyes flew to Milan for talks with 24-year-old Emre's representatives over the weekend but it now looks like the Goodison Park club with be beaten to the punch again by Souness.

Souness has been tracking Parker since the end of the season and said recently: "He is a player we like very much and we are definitely interested in signing him.

"He's a player I've admired for a very long time and there is no question he will be an excellent signing for us."

KIA Motors have offered £4m to Deportivo so they would take Ahn Jung-Hwan, 29 year old Korean international. This is the player who got fired from Perugia when he scored Korea's winning goal against Italy in the World Cup 2002.

And no... I'm NOT making anything up. It's all real. :P

Laurent Robert has signed for Portsmouth on a 3-year deal. That's all it says on Sky Sports.com.

Also, El Hadji Diouf claims he's about to sign a 4-years deal with Bolton.

Newcastle are believed to be closing in on the £6.5m signing of Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker.

The 24-year-old England international was thought to be undergoing a medical at St James' Park on Wednesday morning.

Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd was reportedly given permission to speak to Parker at the weekend.

Newcastle have agreed terms with Chelsea, and are thought to be ready to match Parker's reported weekly wage of £55,000 at Stamford Bridge.

Everton dropped out of the race to sign him leaving the path clear for boss Graeme Souness to move in.

The Magpies' manager feared he could lose Parker to Spurs, with Chelsea possibly using the England midfield man as a bargaining chip in the row over sporting director Frank Arnesen's expected departure to White Hart Lane.

But the Magpies appear to have won the race, with Souness admitting: "He is a player we like very much and we are definitely interested in signing him.

"He's a player I've admired for a very long time and there is no question he will be an excellent signing for us."

Edited by botchedpiledriver

Tottenham have agreed a deal with Leeds for 18 year Aaron Lennon reported to be in the region of about £1m.

Another youngster for Spurs is all well and good, but I can't help feel we need some established players who can perform now and not in 5 years. Jol knows what he's doing.