Crazy Frog Is #1 In The UK...Almost

tristy

The Crazy Frog's Axel F is currently outselling the Brit-winning band's new single Speed of Sound, according to early retail reports.

HMV said the Crazy Frog was now almost certain to top the new chart.

Coldplay recently became the third UK band to have a new entry in the US Top 10 singles chart with Speed of Sound.

They had been tipped to take the UK number one slot with their first single for two years.

HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo said Crazy Frog would be the first hit ringtone to cross over into the singles charts in this way.

He said: "Music purists might not be too happy at the prospect of the Crazy Frog outselling Coldplay.

"But it shouldn't come as that much of a surprise when you consider its huge novelty appeal and the massive amount of exposure its currently getting.

'Ironic appeal'

"Kids obviously find it cute and cool, but students and even office workers seem to be drawn to its rather kitsch, ironic appeal.

"The only real issue is whether the record label can press enough copies to keep up with the huge demand that we're seeing right now."

The profile of the Crazy Frog mobile phone ringtone has been raised in recent months through heavy television advertising.

It is a new version of the Beverly Hills Cop movie theme tune by Harold Faltermeyer, which reached number two in the UK 20 years ago.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First you Brits clone an embryo, now a fucking ringtone is going to be the #1 single in the UK? The fuck?

On behalf of the UK, I apologise. This is depressing. -_-

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

As I type this I can hear the advert in the background, in order to get #1 you've only gotta sell 16,000 singles or so, basically if someone with power wants it to be #1 then they'll do it.

I know of no-one that'd actually buy it.

As I type this I can hear the advert in the background, in order to get #1 you've only gotta sell 16,000 singles or so, basically if someone with power wants it to be #1 then they'll do it.

I know of no-one that'd actually buy it.

Fuck Coldplay, if they want a number one maybe they should release a single that is actually different to the last, boring fucking boring.

I've often said in my life that such and such a group/band/person is the opitomy of what is wrong with todays music scene but no one comes close to the Crazy Frog. Not only is it on EVERY SINGLE AD BREAK but it's number 1 as well? Ban kids pocket money I say.

Hey, maybe the people who stopped the Sex Pistols going to number 1 might do the same to Crazy Frog. I desperately hope so.

And WTF is 'ironic appeal'? It's so bad it's good?

Edited by King Ellis

The bad to good scale is not, in fact, a line. It is a circle.

Things go from excellent, to good, to average, to bad, to awful and then some things are so bad they're actually good again.

There's a very thin line between genius and idiocy.

And this ring tone is certainly idiocy.

And in my opinion there is nothing ironic about it to try and save it.

We all know the British singles charts are the haunt of 9-16 year old girls.

These are the people who will have the ring tone anyway.

Also, every single chav in the country will buy it.

Coldplay are great and they will get to number one in the album charts. I don't think they'll be too bothered. I know that there's no-one I know who cares about what's number 1 in the singles chart...

Its just background music, how anyone can sit back and think 'wow, this is amazing' I'll never know, they do the same thing again and again, its almost depressing.

Infact, it even sucks as background music.