Favorite Concept Albums?

Ash J. Williams

I was thinking eariler how much concept albums rule...so this thread to to obviously post your favorite concept albums...and help me find more (Y)

(For those that don't know, a "Concept Album" is a WHOLE album that tells one story)

My 3 Favorite Concept Albums are

1. Green Day's "American Idiot"

2. Electric Six's "Fire"

3. Dream Theater's "Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory"

In no particular order;

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Queensryche - The Warning

Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory

Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

Tool - Lateralus

Metallica - Master Of Puppets *

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire *

Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love

Muse - Absolution

Pink Floyd - Animals

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother *

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Roger Waters - Amused To Death

* Arugably a concept album, for the most part open for debate.

American Idiot - Green Day (2004) - A Bay Area suburbanite named Jesus of Suburbia flees his broken home to experience city life, transforming into the rebellious St. Jimmy. Notable as a punk rock opera. The first two punk rock operas can arguably be attributed to Hüsker Dü's Zen Arcade, a story of a young punk who runs away from home only to discover the horrors of the world, and the Minutemen's album about riding in a car, Double Nickels on the Dime.

Maroon - Barenaked Ladies (2000) - Tells the story of a depressed rock star.

The Mars Volta's Frances The Mute

The Mars Volta's De-Loused In The Comatorium

Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral

This Cathartic Nail's The Spider & The Butterfly

Type O Negative's Slow, Deep & Hard

"The Wall" by Pink Floyd is one of my favorites, concept wise, but the music doesn't appeal to me anymore. The film translates it better, I think.

NIN's Downward Spiral

A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step

Mars Volta's Deloused In The Comatorium

Radiohead's Ok Computer

Opeth's Still Life

Oh wait, sorry, I forgot that these suggestions are fucked by the MERE MENTION of Coheed And Cambria....my mistake >_>

EDIT: Without wanting to be pedantic, a concept album can be one story, or one theme. Thus, why Thirteenth Step is in my list.

Edited by rvdwannabe

American Idiot - Green Day (2004) - A Bay Area suburbanite named Jesus of Suburbia flees his broken home to experience city life, transforming into the rebellious St. Jimmy. Notable as a punk rock opera. The first two punk rock operas can arguably be attributed to Hüsker Dü's Zen Arcade, a story of a young punk who runs away from home only to discover the horrors of the world, and the Minutemen's album about riding in a car, Double Nickels on the Dime.

Maroon - Barenaked Ladies (2000) - Tells the story of a depressed rock star.

Guest Locutus of Borg

moe.'s live rock opera "Timmy" (you should be able to find it on Archive.org, as it was a fan recording not released by the band) which was recorded at an album release party. It's similar to The Who's "Tommy", but focuses around the journey of a character from the song "Timmy Tucker".

The Flaming Lips' "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" - just what the title of the album says. A "superhero" or robot of some sort protects the world from an invasion of pink robots.