The EWB Band 100 Results

Jook

It's fucking rock music, that's it.

That is almost a direct quote from my father after I talked to him when the Fusion tour show was over with. He said it after the Green Day show as well. "I liked it, it wasn't anything different to me, it was just rock... not the way that rock has always been but it was rock, no doubting it." I think people forgot what emo was originally applied to anyways, I mean some are calling bands like Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance etc. emo when it was originally stuff like Saves The Day and Dashboard Confessional that was "emo".

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how none of you know what emo is. Shut up.

Ahhh emo is about thinking you know something others don't!

And that you're superior for having the haircut, and glasses, and polo shirt, and cutting yourself, and being your own "scene" or whatever it's called these days (Y)

And that you're superior for having the haircut, and glasses, and polo shirt, and cutting yourself, and being your own "scene" or whatever it's called these days (Y)

No, emo is a type of music.

No, emo is a type of music.

That's true, but a lot of music fans simply use "emo" to describe any kind of rock music with vaguely emotional or romantic leanings that they don't like, in much the same way that anything with remotely metal-ish tendencies that was widely disliked got branded nu-metal a few years ago. It's not correct, but it's what happens.

I don't consider most "emo" bands to be emo at all, I think of them as "post-hardcore" (I hate all this genre shit, but it's fairly unavoidable), mostly because to me emo still means Goo Goo Dolls, Dashboard Confessional and other such trite radio-rock dirge. But even then, post-hardcore conjures up images of Sparta and At The Drive-In, so still wrong, I suppose.

Emo, in the eyes of the emoist (it's my word of the week), is basically being pretentious. Dress up in black clothes, go cry in a corner, talk about killing yourself. Yo man, you're deep and everybody will love up for being deep.

Emo, as the music genre, is generally where they place pop bands or more radio friendly rock bands who are unmarketable to the mainstream audience due to whatever problems (IE: they're poofs :P) so they aim for a demographic instead. Emo is for teenagers who's puberty is bringing them down into depression so they listen to stuff like this to make them feel better. If anything, Linkin Park is emo.

Emo, in the eyes of the emoist (it's my word of the week), is basically being pretentious. Dress up in black clothes, go cry in a corner, talk about killing yourself. Yo man, you're deep and everybody will love up for being deep.

Emo, as the music genre, is generally where they place pop bands or more radio friendly rock bands who are unmarketable to the mainstream audience due to whatever problems (IE: they're poofs :P) so they aim for a demographic instead. Emo is for teenagers who's puberty is bringing them down into depression so they listen to stuff like this to make them feel better. If anything, Linkin Park is emo.

God, you're an idiot.

Emo kids don't even dress in black clothing. Hello goth-fashion. So move on already. It's not about killing themselves either, usually about heart break and all that.

As for that second paragraph, dear god, no. Emo is probably the most "in" genre right now. Slipknot have radio friendly songs, are they emo? I'm not a teenager entering puberty, yet I can enjoy music. See, the way music is genrealised isn't like that. It's by the music, not by the bullshit you think. Linkin Park emo? I hope you die.

I hate how the word "emo" means emotional, as if no music before it had been. Emotional music's been around since...well, since music...so what makes this batch special?

I don't consider emo a genre, despite what anyone says. Anything can emo/emotional, so I don't consider it a genre.

I hope someone besides me got that.

I don't consider "emotional" music to be simply emo. All bands have emotional music.

But, for example, take The Rocket Summer. They're emo, completely emo. Then 40 Below Summer could have an emotional suck, but it isn't emo, because it's about the sound - as music should be.

If that makes sense.

I hate how the word "emo" means emotional, as if no music before it had been. Emotional music's been around since...well, since music...so what makes this batch special?

Bingo.

Cranberries are emotional, Sinead O Connor was emotional, Prince was emotional, Beatles were emotional, Rolling Stones were emotional, Elvis was emotional, Snow Patrol - emotional, Muse - emotional....It goes on and on.

Meh, I've had enough of a laugh for now, I'm going to bed.

Bingo.

Cranberries are emotional, Sinead O Connor was emotional, Prince was emotional, Beatles were emotional, Rolling Stones were emotional, Elvis was emotional, Snow Patrol - emotional, Muse - emotional....It goes on and on.

Meh, I've had enough of a laugh for now, I'm going to bed.

If the genre "emo" had the only requirement to be emotional, than these points would actually make sense.

At the end of the day, metal and punk don't explicitly tell you what a band are going to sound like, we just have pre-conceptions of what a punk or metal band will sound like. It's the same for emo. It's not just the fact that the music is emotional.

Can we stop talking about these bloody Emo's and get on with the list please, i agree with the guy above, lets just see the list, then we can argue about what is an Emo and why should My Chemical Romance beat The Sex Pistols.

Just as long as Gorrilaz are in the top 15 ill be happy.

Edited by The_Bill_Rox