Bloodrayne bombs

Lint

BloodRayne opening declared "a debacle"

Variety reports exhibitors refusing to show director Uwe Boll's latest; film nets a paltry $1.2 million over opening weekend.

By most accounts, Uwe Boll's latest game-to-film adaptation, BloodRayne, is stinking up movie theaters across the country. Those that actually screened their prints for audiences, that is.

Variety is reporting today that the vampire-themed action-horror film, which independent distributor Romar had said would be shown on more than 1,900 screens across the country, only wound up on 985. The venerable entertainment magazine's Web site labeled the debut "a debacle" for Romar, reporting that hundreds of BloodRayne prints were sent to exhibitors who hadn't asked for them, and refused to show them.

Based on Majesco's BloodRayne series of games, the film wound up pulling in $1.2 million, a far cry from the $20.1 million brought in by new release and weekend-box-office champ Hostel. Another gamer-centric new release, Grandma's Boy, did slightly better than BloodRayne, with $2.9 million in ticket sales.

News of BloodRayne's woes must come as a shock to actor Billy Zane (Back to the Future, The Phantom), one of the movie's stars, as he insisted shortly before the film's release that Boll "has totally made his mark and put his naysayers and critics to rest with this film."

Zane might feel obligated to say that, however. After all, he is a partner in the upstart distributor Romar, which chose BloodRayne as its first film.

By Brendan Sinclair

Posted Jan 9, 2006 1:04 pm PT

Can't say its really a surprise. Videogame movies typically don't do well, and Uwe Boll sucks as a director. But 1.2 million and only 985 theaters showing it? Yikes

Edited by Lint6

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea..thats why I editted my post from "videogame movies suck" to "don't do well"..the RE movies, while not insta-classics, could've been MUCH worse then they were

Guest Ringo Von Masterson

Uwe Boll is one of the worst directors ever, this movie was even worse than his previous movies. It's good that this is probably gonna be one of his last films because the German tax laws have changed.

Did anyone expect more of Dr. Boll? I do feel sorry for the people who actually paid to watch it, especieally when there are a shitload of good to great films playing: King Kong, Narnia, Capote, Munich, Brokeback Mountain, Hostel and so on. But then again, I don't think people who payed to watch Bloodrayne would have liked good films to start with. Yes, I am generalizing, but come on, you can tell just by watching the trailer and tv spots that it was going to be a stinker.

Looking at IMDB I can safely say there are a few more debacles to come. Postal? Nobody even remembers that game. Far Cry? Well, good game, not exactly a huge mainstream title but good game. Shame he'll destroy it. He's also got that Dungeon Siege movie due out later this year.

And apparently he's trying to get rights to Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life.

I was speaking to ROC about Dungeon Siege a while back and I think it's a good looking cast. I think he was pretty positive on it too, I forget.

I suppose it won't be as awful as the first three. I mean, as bad as Boll is, there's a fascinating cast. I know that could be said for this feature, but it'll be interesting to see how it goes. And if it's crappy, it won't shock anyone...again.

And don't think I'm believing one second that there'll ever be a Postal movie...how would that even be possible?

Supposedly The Rock was going to star in the Farcry movie, but he's not listed on the page, so maybe he's not afterall. that cast for Dungeon Siege is a pretty kick ass cast though. Maybe he'll make a decent movie outta it

I was speaking to ROC about Dungeon Siege a while back and I think it's a good looking cast. I think he was pretty positive on it too, I forget.

I suppose it won't be as awful as the first three. I mean, as bad as Boll is, there's a fascinating cast. I know that could be said for this feature, but it'll be interesting to see how it goes. And if it's crappy, it won't shock anyone...again.

And don't think I'm believing one second that there'll ever be a Postal movie...how would that even be possible?

Edited by Pepsi

Guest Chaos Theory

I have much respect for the guy. He doesn't do it for the fans. He does it because he wants to do it.

Bloodrayne was supposed to open in 2000 theaters, Boll said that he got a call saying that some theaters weren't going to show his movie because they watned to carry Cheaper by The Dozen 2. If some of you watched G4 TV you would know this. I plan on going to see Bloodrayne.

He is also doing Hitman, and Vin Diesel is slated to be in the leading role.

I have much respect for the guy. He doesn't do it for the fans. He does it because he wants to do it.

Bloodrayne was supposed to open in 2000 theaters, Boll said that he got a call saying that some theaters weren't going to show his movie because they watned to carry Cheaper by The Dozen 2. If some of you watched G4 TV you would know this. I plan on going to see Bloodrayne.

He is also doing Hitman, and Vin Diesel is slated to be in the leading role.

Guest Chaos Theory

Any of you ever thought that he does this with an independent film and has private investors. None of his stuff goes through a big motion picture company.

Don't listen to the articles. Go and see the movie and then make your decesion. Don't judge a book by its cover or a movie by its trailer.

Any of you ever thought that he does this with an independent film and has private investors. None of his stuff goes through a big motion picture company.

Don't listen to the articles. Go and see the movie and then make your decesion. Don't judge a book by its cover or a movie by its trailer.