The Guitar Hero Thread

apsham

I can understand why people are so mad about the DLC but to me, it's fine. My reasoning is this: if I wanted to play Guitar Hero I for the PS2 I would have to buy:

Guitar Hero: 40$

Guitar to play Guitar Hero: 50$ (most likely 60$ but I'll lower it to be fair)

PS2: 130$

Which all adds up to 220$. Yes, I know people will say "yeah, but the PS2 is worth it" and all that, but I myself would much rather just pay 18$ or so a month (maybe more or less depending on how often they release them) to add life to a game I enjoy without having to pay over 200$ all at once for a system that's on its way out. Should RedOctane just release GHI on the 360? Sure, why not. Do I really care if they do? Not really.

Maybe I'm just insane but I don't see it as a rip-off. iTunes wants .99 a song. Why not pay about 2$ for a song you actually get to play?

Yeah, I suppose I'm just insane. @_@

Rationalizing it like that is what lets them charge that much.

At the end of the day, Guitar Hero 1 is a year and a half old game on a system owned by almost 100 million people and it's available for $50 and you get an actual game and guitar.

Why not just port Guitar Hero 1 over to the 360? They'd be guaranteed more buys than with this idiotic pricing.

I got GH2 and a second wireless guitar for some multiplayer all for £85. Which is about average for the PS2. I kinda missed the boat in terms of board discussion but favourite tracks are so far Jessica, Woman, John The Fisherman(?) and Stop! I thought I'd hate the Megadeth one but it's not too bad. Hella disappointed to find out that No-One Knows is on Guitar Hero 1 though. :(

It's arriving from Play.com on Monday. :D

What's all this hammer and pull crap? I've been playing the second game for a few days now and have only seen it mentioned on the tips screen?

Edited by wilson316

What's all this hammer and pull crap? I've been playing the second game for a few days now and have only seen it mentioned on the tips screen?

Notice how all notes have a white circle in the center? Notice that some notes that are very close together don't have the black ring around that white circle? You can 'hammer on' or 'pull off' those notes. For instance, if you have a green note, quickly followed by a red note, you only have to strum on the green note, then simply press the red fret, you don't have to strum again, that's a hammer on. Now, if for instance you're going blue to yellow, you can hold both frets, then "pull off" blue and just hold in yellow.

Anytime you see that white circle without a black ring around it, you can hammer on/pull off and it doesn't necessarily have to be just two notes. In the harder difficulties, you might see ridiculously long strands of notes that you can hammer on/pull off. In Guitar Hero 1, they're very difficult to do, but it's pretty simple in 2 once you get the hang of it. Definitely learn it, it will make the game a lot easier.

Edited by Zero

I was going to get it...and now I'm holding off. The most expensive game in the 360 library isn't out a week and they're already expecting $10 for DLC? Just screams "Look what we kept off the disk so you'd spend another $10!" to me, even though I know the game went gold well before release and technically it's wrong.

I was going to get it...and now I'm holding off. The most expensive game in the 360 library isn't out a week and they're already expecting $10 for DLC? Just screams "Look what we kept off the disk so you'd spend another $10!" to me, even though I know the game went gold well before release and technically it's wrong.

I don't know if that's really a fair way to look at it. The game is $90, which is only $10 more than its PS2 counterpart, just like every next-gen game. Plus, they didn't leave anything off the disc, the game is pretty stacked - ten new songs, leaderboards, good achievements and improved all the problems with the PS2 version. I didn't expect to get all the songs from Guitar Hero (which is still selling incredibly well on PS2) for free or already put into the 360 version. Making them DLC is fine, it's just the pricing that is out of control.

I think what bothers me about how they're releasing the GH1 songs isn't so much the price, as it is how they're being packaged. I wouldn't mind paying the per-song-price if I could only download the specific songs I wanted, but they're most likely going to package each good song with one mediocre song and one song no-one wants.

And on the topic of Hammer ons and Pull offs, Jessica on hard and expert is one of the best songs to practice them on.

Just turned the game on and an update was available. Anyone know what it's all about? Perhaps the whammy bar issues?

The other day they issued a statement saying the issues were software problems, not hardware. This should hopefully fix all that, I have it pencilled in for purchase and this whole thing was making me hesitant.

Is it just me or is player 2 much quieter than player 1 in multiplayer games? I've tried swapping the guitars to see if it was the wireless ones fault, but its the same with the wired one. Is that a common problem, or just my PS2?

Edited by wilson316

Time to change the topic title to Guitar Hero/Guitar Hero 2/Guitar Hero 3. From Gamespot:

Guitar Hero III will add online multiplayer, wireless

Next incarnation of the popular music game franchise will feature both cooperative and competitive online modes, as well as wireless guitar controllers; Wii and PS3 editions now official.

By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK

Posted Apr 16, 2007 8:35 am PT

On board a specially designed Guitar Hero rock bus in London today, RedOctane president and founder Kai Huang confirmed details about the third installment of the Guitar Hero game to GameSpot.

Huang announced the game's platforms--as rumoured, it will indeed be coming to the Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 2, arriving in stores just before the end of year holidays. There will also be a Nintendo DS version of the series, which will arrive "early next year."

The latest game will also boast new wireless controllers "so that fans can finally rock out in their living room and jump off their couches and do all that crazy rock star stuff." There will also be a variety of colours and a new design for the guitar controllers, along with some higher-end options made to look and feel more like real guitars.

Like developer Harmonix's recently announced Rock Band, Guitar Hero III will also feature strong online elements. There will be both cooperative and competitive online modes, along with extra downloadable content.

"We've got a lot of songs and artists still that we would love to have," Huang commented. "In particular, we've been trying to get Metallica, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin. So hopefully sometime in the near future, my wish and everybody's wish will come true and we can get some of their music in the game."

WHAT ABOUT LENNY KRAVITZ?

"Are You Gonna Go My Way" would be a sweet edition. Of course, we could all sit here all day and come up with a set list that's 500 songs deep with what we'd like to see. I just hope that if they do get Zeppelin, AC/DC and Metallica, it's not going to be the stereotypical "Stairway to Heaven," "Shook Me All Night Long," or "Enter Sandman."

I'm hoping the Zeppelin song is 'Black Dog' or 'Kashmir'. Both of those would be incredibly fun. Metallica is probably going to be a bitch to get, so they'll probably get one of the lesser known songs, but still one of the good ones. Probably 'Fuel' or something like that.

Dyer Maker or nothin!

Master of Puppets for the game's finale.

And Whole Lotta Rosie for AC/DC

Assuming they get any of these, which I doubt they will. Maybe AC/DC, but don't hold your breath on Metallica or Led Zep.