Fuck you Jack Johnson. Shitty cover songs ahoy

Quom

Fucking stupid Jack Johnson. Dickhead has just released a cover of 'we're going to be friends' which was originally performed by the White Stripes and would rank as my favourite song of all time. Now I can enjoy a good cover, indeed there are certain covers that I would put above the originals, Johnny Cash's 'hurt', Tori Amos' cover of 'Smells like teen spirit' and Jose Gonzales' version of 'Heartbeats' instantly spring to mind. The main reason why I appreciate these covers is because they add something original, either the tempo and pacing, verses, or the entire dynamic of the song has been changed. Whereas Jack Johnson has added nothing - except for a simple piano part which does nothing for the song - at all. If any student were to do the same whilst writing an essay you would likely be kicked out. So why do musicians get away with it? I also thought this could be the antithesis of Zero's thread, so what's the worst cover you've ever heard?

Fucking stupid Jack Johnson. Dickhead has just released a cover of 'we're going to be friends' which was originally performed by the White Stripes and would rank as my favourite song of all time. Now I can enjoy a good cover, indeed there are certain covers that I would put above the originals, Johnny Cash's 'hurt', Tori Amos' cover of 'Smells like teen spirit' and Jose Gonzales' version of 'Heartbeats' instantly spring to mind. The main reason why I appreciate these covers is because they add something original, either the tempo and pacing, verses, or the entire dynamic of the song has been changed. Whereas Jack Johnson has added nothing - except for a simple piano part which does nothing for the song - at all. If any student were to do the same whilst writing an essay you would likely be kicked out. So why do musicians get away with it? I also thought this could be the antithesis of Zero's thread, so what's the worst cover you've ever heard?

I kind of take exception to the last portion of your statement. I'm not inclined to agree that a cover should add something new to an older song. I like to hear a band perform a cover in the same vein that the band that influenced them would play it. If for instance I listen to The Dictators cover Search and Destroy by Iggy and the Stooges, I'm not necesarily looking for them to change the songs lyrics, tempos, crescendos, pacing, and what not. I actually appreciate it more when a band stays true to the original song and doesn't butcher it completely. In some instances I like subtle changes, but usually my preference for a cover is to hear the rocker emulate his hero's work. Of course I'm also probably a fan of a different breed of music then you, judging by the examples you listed, so it's possibly a "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing. Still, I figured I'd add my two cents in the interest of discussion.

As for bad covers I think I'll just say the whole Ramones tribute album was deplorable. I really hated the whole album, with Havana Affair (Red Hot Chilli Peppers, sorry Cloudy) and the KKK Took My Baby Away (Marilyn Manson) being the worst offenders on the album.

I actually liked the Jack Johnson, I thought the whole Curious George soundtrack was pretty good. As covers go, I really don't care about them, but Destinys Child's version of Tragedy was absolutly horrendous.

Most covers suck. And some bands who have done multiple covers (of different artists) have had their hits or misses. Marilyn Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" is great while I absolutely hate their version of "Tainted Love" (although it does have a couple of hot chicks in the video). Bowling For Soup did an awesome version of "Hit Me Baby (One More Time)" while their version of "I Ran" kinda blows.

My least favorite cover of all time has already been mentioned by Dukes: Britney Spears' version of "Satisfaction". However, I also have a bone to pick with Mariah Carey for her fucked up version of "Bringin' On The Heartbreak". (And for borrowing part of Cameo's "Candy" for her long "Loverboy", but Cameo is as much to blame as she is)

My favorite cover changes from day to day, but I kinda like Coal Chamber and Ozzy Osbourne's version of "Shock The Monkey" and Monster Magnet's version of "Cars", and I hope that if Wang Chung ever releases a new album that they put their version of "Hot In Herre" on it, because I'd pick up the cd just for that one track. Guns N' Roses cover of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is also awesome.

I believe Avril Lavigne's cover of "Basket Case" OR "Fuel" takes the prize.

Edited by GhostMachine

You're all wrong. None of these covers you've listed are as bad as the real Worst Cover Ever.

'Bigmouth Strikes Again' by Placebo.

Read it and weep. I know I do. It makes me want to punch the person playing it, just because they are.

Worst cover ever?

Three words: Britney Spears, "Satisfaction".

Someone should have been SHOT for that.

You all EWB are crazy. Seriously, I'm shocked and GENUINELY appalled (sp?) that Dukes is the first and only person to mention this, I'm not even a Britney hater, in fact the occasional song has been known to creep onto my playlist, but her version is just... blergh. It takes a fantastic song and doesn't even make it terrible, it just makes it below mediocre, and that is even worse.

Well, I'd rank her "I Love Rock And Roll" as worse, personally.

And Tori Amos version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is ok, but nowhere near as good as the original (referring to Quom).

I hate Murderdolls "White Wedding"...oh, and Louise's "Stuck In The Middle With You"

1. You're problem is having a White Stripes' song as your favorite song. Get a real song as your favorite, like 'Freebird'.

2. Worst cover is anything Avril Lavigne tries to do. She never even knows half the words. Second would be Snoop Dogg's cover of 'Sad But True'. I hate to say it, because I have much love for Snoop, but saying 'It's Sad But True' in between rapping is not covering the Metallica song.