"Emo" is the way forward.

Summers

I believe bands such as some 311, Death Cab For Cutie, Dashboard Confessional, H.I.M., Matchbook Romance, Relient K, Senses Fail, Stroke 9, The Used, and Yellowcard are all worth checking out as well, and that's just a rough look at some of my play list.

Especially Dashboard, Senses Fail, and Stroke 9. Stroke 9 isn't too commonly known, but their "Rip It Off" CD is awesome.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stroke 9 are emo?

Aren't they the ones that did that Kick Some Ass song from the JASBSB soundtrack?

Indeed. First actual song on the disc, if I remember correctly.

I've always hated the term...well, genres in general, go me...but I feel as if the bands associated as such are starting to decline in terms of quality. The only recent band I've picked up on is Panic At The Disco, but there isn't much to really catch my attention aside from Story of the Year's contribution to the MLB '06 soundtrack ("We Don't Care Anymore".)

Summers gets cool points for having 3 Inches of Blood in his sig.

Erm, to answer the question, Dashboard have some good songs, wheras they also have some terrible songs, I find it to be very hit and miss with them, I'd reccomend As Lovers Go espesh. the acoustic version, it's "emo" as fuck, but immensely good.

Something Corporate are also a band that are classed as emo that I find myself listening to a fair bit, the whole of Leaving Through The Window is cool, as is the song "Drunk Girl"

ermmmmmm *racks brain*

This one is a long shot, but my mate whose really into "emo" loves Scary Kids Scaring Kids, not actually heard them though so Im not sure what genre they are.

You should probably check out Gregory and the Hawk as well if you havent already, your best bet of finding songs is on myspace. The music isnt exactly emo, its acousticy sad songs...its hard to explain listen and you'll see.

And nu-metal owned when I was a kid *nods*

Summers gets cool points for having 3 Inches of Blood in his sig.

Erm, to answer the question, Dashboard have some good songs, wheras they also have some terrible songs, I find it to be very hit and miss with them, I'd reccomend As Lovers Go espesh. the acoustic version, it's "emo" as fuck, but immensely good.

Something Corporate are also a band that are classed as emo that I find myself listening to a fair bit, the whole of Leaving Through The Window is cool, as is the song "Drunk Girl"

New Dashboard on the way, for the folks not yet aware. Tour dates and info from mtvnews.com.

Btw, this is somewhat moot since McManus is the primary songwriter for Something Corporate, but given his recent solo stint, anybody else seeing him just dropping the SC name?

Death Cab For Cutie, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Get Up Kids, Alkaline Trio (I guess) The Headlights, The Postal Service, Funeral For A Friend, Jack's Mannequin, Electric President, Silverstein, Coheed & Cambria, Alexisonfire, The Spill Canvas, Something Corporate, Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, Hellogoodbye, Angels & Airwaves, Thrice, brand new, Matchbook Romance, Maserati (Instrumental), Pedro The Lion, Headphones (PTL sde-project), Bright Eyes (I'm starting to get into his older stuff, still not a fan though), Sunset Valley, Modest Mouse, Dntel, All-Time Quaterback (I'm desperately trying to find the full album)......I'm all out for now.

How about some Screamo?

Saetia, Hot Cross, Circle Takes The Square, Joshua Fit For Battle, Orchid...damn it, I used to know so much more. I was heavily into screamo not that long ago.

Edited by YI

FAR are the greatest 'emo' band with the exception of Sunny Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring and Small Brown Bike.

Go download their stuff. My I recommend 'Mother Mary' by Far, an amazing song, and also proof that Lost Prophets can't write their own songs.

I believe bands such as some 311, Death Cab For Cutie, Dashboard Confessional, H.I.M., Matchbook Romance, Relient K, Senses Fail, Stroke 9, The Used, and Yellowcard are all worth checking out as well, and that's just a rough look at some of my play list.

I'd recommend all of these... except Yellowcard.

Something Corporate are one of my favourite bands too, plus i'd also suggest you try some stuff by Strung Out and Story of the Year. Not everybodies tastes but hey, I like them.

Without getting into ridiculous sub-genre talk too much, Fall Out Boy once described themselves as "Softcore" (rofl).

I've heard him say that, as he basically said they were hardcore kids doing soft music. I doubt he was saying it in a "look at this new kinda genre" way, more tongue in cheek.

And Coheed And Cambria aren't prog-rock, since prog rock as a standalone is old stuff like Rush and Yes, with bands like Dream Theater holding up thier end for the newer bands doing it. Coheed And Cambria would be progressive emo, as I think Summers mentioned.

And as I stated somewhere else for genres....they make sense if you think of each term seperately and what they mean, as then when they get lumped together it naturally is just a mix of the two. So grindcore, for example, would naturally have elements of grind and elements of hardcore. It is like in films, where a romantic comedy is a romance film with comedy (really obvious example, but meh :P)

I just said I heard they were progish.. as in in complexity/make-up of songs. Didn't mean to say outright prog-rock.

Prog-mo... interesting...

Bands I've heard described as 'emo' that I like include Hundred Reasons, ATD-i, Hell is for Heroes, Copperpot Journals, Reuben, Brand New and the Used's first album.

By and large I hate most 'emo' bands, stuff like Fall Out Boy, Panic! and MCR, and 'emo' hairstyles and clothing. Ugly people make themsekves look worse by trying to create the effect that a black cat has died on their head, pale little fuckers.

I've not read the whole topic, but emo is an extremely blanket term, and there's so many different types (I'm not talking meaningless genre names, but sounds) because to me bands like Bright Eyes are emo, but so are bands like Panic!, as well as the usual Thrice, FFAF, TBS, etc. etc.

My favourite 'emo' band of all time would easily be Bright Eyes, because I think Conor Oberst is so diverse and different, he just sounds like nothing ever done before him, and whether it's the more teen-dream pop-punk of Commander Venus, the grown up Angst of Decaparecidos or the general cry little emo kid, cry sound of Bright Eyes I've not disliked it.

On the more electronic side, the 'emotronica' I'm a huge fan of Hellogoodbye and Panic! at the Disco, because no matter if their singing about strip clubs, prom dates or getting dumped they bring a smile to my face, and make me bob about.

In the more traditional, loud guitars and pissy lyrics side of emo I've always been a big fan of FFAF, as well as Hundred Reasons, Biffy Clyro, Jimmy Eat World, Alkaline Trio, Hell is for Heroes, Rise Against and Strung Out. All of them are just really energetic, and when I've seen guys like FFAF, HR, Rise Against and Alk3 live I've found them to be so much fun to listen to.

Bands that I don't see as emo, but others do that I like are bands like Cave In, Million Dead, Reuben, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Head Automatica, The Bronx, Mew and Less Than Jake. I can see why people may consider them emoey, but I don't see it, but if your looking through all the different sub-genes I'd give a few of them a try, because they're all great bands.

Edit: I just want to say I'm falling in love with fineintent, all the bands he mentioned (minus the Used, who I can't stand) are great bands, and I'm a huge fan of them all. Never knew he liked Reuben, and as the board's resident Reuben pimp, I just wanna say "YAY!"

Edited by Ollie Beak