World Cup 2006

Dan

It does sound stupid, because it takes away any athletic advantage.

I'm not saying I agree that someone should just sit at the attacking end and get passed the ball, but if the defense isn't athletic enough to keep up with the attackers, that deficiency shouldn't be covered up by the rulebook.

Its like, in American football, if you couldn't throw the ball to a reciever who beat the corner, or in basketball if you couldn't throw an outlet to a guy ahead of the defense on a fast break. Stupid rule in that regard.

Offsides isn't intended to cover that. For comparison, the reason it is there is the reason there is the line of scrimmage in the NFL. So that you can't just line up where you should be and instead have to fight to get there.

It does sound stupid, because it takes away any athletic advantage.

I'm not saying I agree that someone should just sit at the attacking end and get passed the ball, but if the defense isn't athletic enough to keep up with the attackers, that deficiency shouldn't be covered up by the rulebook.

Its like, in American football, if you couldn't throw the ball to a reciever who beat the corner, or in basketball if you couldn't throw an outlet to a guy ahead of the defense on a fast break. Stupid rule in that regard.

I still think that in the example I gave, its a stupid rule. From the sounds of it, if they start from the same position, say midfield, and the attacker dosen't have the ball, yet beats the defender to a spot, and gets a pass, its offsides... bullshit rule, and you won't change my opinion in that regard.

I still think that in the example I gave, its a stupid rule. From the sounds of it, if they start from the same position, say midfield, and the attacker dosen't have the ball, yet beats the defender to a spot, and gets a pass, its offsides... bullshit rule, and you won't change my opinion in that regard.

Edited by TheArsenal

DMN, it's not a question of athletic ability.

Very rarely do you get a situation where an attacker would be racing the last defender back to his goal anyway. That's just asking for trouble, and would be really terrible defending. There is usually, almost without exception, AT LEAST one defender in the last third of the pitch at all times. The only exceptions being when you're really desperate for a goal and have a free kick or a corner.

Once you've watched a few games (I'm guessing you've only started watching it with the world cup?) you'll start to appreciate how good the rule is.

It's all about timing your run, so that when the ball is played you're onside. A bit like a Quarterback timing his pass.

-

So yeah.. I'm loving the USA's inventive 8-0-0 formation... (Y)

They definately deserved a draw though. Ballsy performance.

Edited by TheReilDeal

Basically, offside is a good rule that the game needs. If you weigh up both sides of the argument and come out with more negatives for it than positives, then there is no use wasting time trying to explain it.

I'm just trying to comprehend a game without offside. Is it just me that can see how shite that would be? Players spread out all over the pitch, long balls all the time, teams filled with hefty 6ft+, 16st guys..... Not too dissimilar from another sport I know.

Just gone full time, very good result for the states. Unlucky with both red cards I reckon.