World Cup 2006

Dan

Guest Bosstown Boy

One of my friends called and put forth the following scenario: if the US scores early against Ghana, could Italy and the Czechs both realize a draw is a favorable result and play accordingly?

One of my friends called and put forth the following scenario: if the US scores early against Ghana, could Italy and the Czechs both realize a draw is a favorable result and play accordingly?

Italy already has enough conspiracy theory on their plate, don't they?

I really think that the US team has a really good shot at winning. It's too bad that Italy has not looked that solid and the Czech Republic really could take advantage.

I predict the US beating Ghana 2-1.

If the Italian team can finally get motivated, and if they can avoid elbowing people in the face, then they will win. But if they play like they did today or against Ghana, they will lose. I will go with the Czech's winning 1-0.

Well, they are starting to build football only venues in America. I think they got them in Chicago and Dallas, but there is one for sure in the LA suburbs ... perhaps Chivas?

Columbus was the first one to have a football only venue. I don't think anyone else has one to themselves. Though DC United once were the only team in RFK. And will be again in a year or two.

Having figured it out, if Italy wins, and the US wins, Italy and US go through.

If the Czechs win, the US needs to win, AND make up 5 goals on Italy just to tie Italy in goal differential.

I like the first scenario better. Go Italy.

Italy and Czech could also draw, one point each. If the US won all they'd need is a better goal difference than Czech.

Oh, and FIFAWorldCup.com is calling Italy/USA the most exciting match of the tournament so far, and credits Keller and Pirlo as turning in world-class performances.

It's a shame that they call something exciting primarily (seemingly) for the number of red cards shown. The football on show was good, but I've seen better games so far.

Keller was excellent though, definitely. Makes up for some of his play against the Czech's.

And by the way, it is entirely possible that if Italy and Czech Republic can get away with it, they'd play for a draw and there would be nothing anyone could do about it. However, thats the exact reason they moved the last group games so they were played at exactly the same time. In the 1982 World Cup, Austria and Germany played a 0-0 bore draw which knocked out a good Algerian side who were playing their group match later. Naturally, everyone kicked up a fuss at this blatant "cheating", and the games got changed so that both games are played at the same time so that you can't really pre-plan a result to suit your needs.

Didn't the Italians moan about Sweden/Denmark planning to draw at Euro 2004? IIRC the two teams only needed a draw to both go through, and most of the pre-match build up was Italy bitching about how they'd just go for a draw.

I think the result was 2-2, and even though anyone that watched the game could've seen the last thing either team wanted was a draw the Italians still spent days afterwards asking FIFA to investigate?

Whilst Italy might be content with a draw. It's too much of a risk for the Czech team. So I don't see it happening. Since Ghana could overtake them with a win, and USA could overtake them with a win and a good goal difference (unlikely but possible). The Czechs need to play for a win. Like wannabe says, they put the games on at the same time so planning in advance is impossible.

I'm looking forward to the Australia/Brazil game now, if Brazil play like they did in their first game I reckon Australia could cause a massive upset. They don't seem to bad going forward and Brazil's defence is shit, so hopefully they can get at least a draw.

Guest Ringo Mars

Italian newspapers are reporting conspiracies against the Italian team (what else is new), the most amusing of which claims that McBride purposefuly headbutted De Rossi's elbow to get him sent off. That's gotta be the best excuse ever.

What the fuck...Miyamoto slips over and accidentally hits Prso, and that's a penalty?

Bwahahah, DENIED~! Kawaguchi may be weird with his love of punching the ball instead of catching, but that was a great save.

Edited by Xero Gravity