The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Having only just started reading comics last year I never really paid much attention to the names of writers/artists but I have finally found a guy whos work I really really like. Brian K. Vaughan is most definately my favorite writer around right now. His work on Runaways, Y:The Last Man, Pride of Baghdad and the last one I just read, The Hood has been really good stuff. Sometimes his work takes a steer towards getting across a political opinion(A very heavy theme in POB unsurprisingly) which I normally cant stand in a comic, but whatever political opinion he's trying to get across, its norally overshadowed b y the characters and their stories.

I think the next title I invest time into will have to be Dr. Strange: The Oath. I hear a lot fo good things about it and even though Strange has never appealed to me(I cant get into magic) Im sure he'll make it worthwhile. Anythign else by Vaughan that is a must-read?

The Cable story arc in Ultimate X-Men is fucking amazing. I'm going to throw my thoughts in spoiler tags though, for the people who haven't read it.

At first, I was a little hesitant on Cable being a future version of Wolverine instead of the son of Scott and Jean, but the way everything played out was fantastic. Xavier being gone into the future with Cable, while Wolverine is off searching for answers, Shadowcat's left the team and Cyclops disbanded the X-Men in favor of creating more of a school environment.

I'm wondering now if Bishop is actually going to start his own team, and also how long it will take the Hellfire Club to make their presence known.

The Cable story arc in Ultimate X-Men is fucking amazing. I'm going to throw my thoughts in spoiler tags though, for the people who haven't read it.

At first, I was a little hesitant on Cable being a future version of Wolverine instead of the son of Scott and Jean, but the way everything played out was fantastic. Xavier being gone into the future with Cable, while Wolverine is off searching for answers, Shadowcat's left the team and Cyclops disbanded the X-Men in favor of creating more of a school environment.

I'm wondering now if Bishop is actually going to start his own team, and also how long it will take the Hellfire Club to make their presence known.

In conclusion...Ultimate X-Men is the best book I've read in a long time. Get it. All 16 volumes of Trade Paperbacks.

In conclusion...Ultimate X-Men is the best book I've read in a long time. Get it. All 16 volumes of Trade Paperbacks.

Having only just started reading comics last year I never really paid much attention to the names of writers/artists but I have finally found a guy whos work I really really like. Brian K. Vaughan is most definately my favorite writer around right now. His work on Runaways, Y:The Last Man, Pride of Baghdad and the last one I just read, The Hood has been really good stuff. Sometimes his work takes a steer towards getting across a political opinion(A very heavy theme in POB unsurprisingly) which I normally cant stand in a comic, but whatever political opinion he's trying to get across, its norally overshadowed b y the characters and their stories.

I think the next title I invest time into will have to be Dr. Strange: The Oath. I hear a lot fo good things about it and even though Strange has never appealed to me(I cant get into magic) Im sure he'll make it worthwhile. Anythign else by Vaughan that is a must-read?

I've only really read Ultimate X-Men, but it's an amazing book, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I'm getting Ultimate Spidey volumes 1-4 thanks to Keith, so I'll let you know which one I prefer when those arrive.

I've not yet read UFF (surprising considering it contains Namor around the mid-twenties issues) but USM is a brilliantly written, well plotted and fantastically drawn book. UXM is okay but nothing impressive, it's not as good as the 616 main books in my view, but it's worth checking out.

If you like Vaughn, Y: The Last Man is a solid piece of work. It is one of my favorite comic books currently running,

Also, I just ordered the first four trade paperbacks of Ultimate Spider-man. Hopefully they are as good as everyone says. They were all just over $10 american so pretty good price imo.

If you like Vaughn, Y: The Last Man is a solid piece of work. It is one of my favorite comic books currently running,

Also, I just ordered the first four trade paperbacks of Ultimate Spider-man. Hopefully they are as good as everyone says. They were all just over $10 american so pretty good price imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Captain America: Winter Soldier, House of M and Daredevil: The Devil, Inside and Out at Waterstones the other day in a 3 for 2 sale.

House of M seemed good with some very good moments, whereas DD simply seemed very good throughout. I'm 2/3 through CapAm and it seems to be generally good, with the second half of the story better than the first.

Going on this, can anyone recommend me some purchases (of trade paper backs)? I've also read Avengers: Disassembled recently and enjoyed that too.

The New Avengers series has been tremendous. I have volumes 1 through 4 I believe, and it's one of the better books out there. Plus, you have a fist full of characters that are easy to enjoy. Wolverine, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Captain America, Iron Man and company.

Ok i'm going to buy Civil War. Looking at amazon which 4-5 should I get, lets say no more than $60 post tax?

I'm grew up loving Spidey and the X men, but never buying a subscription? Also I have a feeling I will like Deapool quite bit, but I don't to waste money on guys I like if it's shit.

Well, I've ended up buying:

Marvel Knights: The Sentry

Daredevil: Guardian Devil v. 1

Annihilation Bk. 3

Ultimate Galactus: "Ultimate Nightmare", "Uiltimate Secret" and "Ultimate Extinction" Box set.

Captain America: Winter Solider v. 2

Should be good. :)

Is it tomorrow that X-Men 200 is out?

Yeah, but why ask since you've said you don't care?

Tomorrow is going to be an expensive day, with Criminal #7, Daredevil #98, Hellboy: Darkness Calls #3 (It's been a bit crap, but I already have a third of the series so I may as well continue), World War Hulk: X-Men #1 (I hope unlike Civil War: X-Men that this will actually have some sodding relevance to the event), The Immortal Iron First #6, Silver Surfer: Requiem #2, Cable and Deadpool #42 and X-Men 200 all coming out. Sexy ones boled.

And the TPB' of Criminal Vol. 1, and Ultimates 2 Vol. 2. Plus, a few more trades I was gonna have a look at, this could be a fucking huge trip to the comic store, assuming of course it hasn't been affected by the floods.