The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Guest Coowra

if you're new into comics and want to get the motivation to start collcecting series. Then yes i reccomend the civil war series. It also sort of introduces you to what Marvels going to be like over the next few years,

Hey guys I'm new to comics really.

I have almost got my hands on Civil War #1-7 and Captain America #25

Has anyone read this series and if you have, is it any good. I've only heard good things

Honestly, if you're just getting back into comics, I'd recommend starting at issue #1 of one of the many Ultimate Universe titles.

I collect Ultimate X-Men, and The Ultimates (Avengers)... but Ultimate Spider-Man, from what I've read, is tremendous...and Ultimate Fantastic Four is supposed to be okay.

None of them are so far in that you can't get issue #1 in some form, whether it's the original comic or in Trade Paperback (which I vastly prefer).

Anyone with an actual attatchment to marvel's characters hates CW and what it did to so many prominant characters.

Don't be that guy Teej, don't be the guy who makes a sweeping statement just because your own opinion is that strong, I hate that guy.

Anyone with an actual attatchment to marvel's characters hates CW and what it did to so many prominant characters.

Well i dont hundred percent agree tot hat. I have a strong attatchment to marvel characters, especialy Tandy and Tyrone (Cloak and Dagger.) I also have an attatchment to Cap and i very much enjoyed what it did too the characters. Yeah they done things which seemed bad then but the'yre going to make some great stories in the future so stop bitching about it really. The way Cap portrayed is amazing, he's a super SOLDIER and when he and his friends were threatened he went into Soldier mode acting this tactics and doing things to help his cause, now if you try that "oh but he totally pussied out at the end." He really didnt, at the end of the series Cap was knocked OUT of soldier mode and given time to think and thats why what happened, happened. Also the way Cloak and Dagger were in this series is amazing, never have these great characters been used so much in a big title like this and they were used effeciently. Dont get sore because people know who Pete is (gonna make some cool stories) and because Tony and Reed are now seen as these evil fucks. Tony Stark is now head of S.H.I.E.L.D right!? Well hello if you ever picked up New Avengers you'd know right now S.H.I.E.L.D has actually got something wrong with it being corrputed soStark coming off like the way he is, is a good idea and way in story development.

First of all, quit talking to me like that.

Secondly, when you turn Tony and Reed into self serving fucks and murderers, and you can add Hank Pym into that list too, I don't care what eventual stories you have in mind, it sucks.

Third, I didn't make a sweeping generalization based on nothing but my opinion, I made it based on many many many articles and polls I've read where the vast majority of those asked simply do not like how CW treated the more iconic characters.

Edited by Stone Cold TGC

Guest Coowra

Well i dont hundred percent agree tot hat. I have a strong attatchment to marvel characters, especialy Tandy and Tyrone (Cloak and Dagger.) I also have an attatchment to Cap and i very much enjoyed what it did too the characters. Yeah they done things which seemed bad then but the'yre going to make some great stories in the future so stop bitching about it really. The way Cap portrayed is amazing, he's a super SOLDIER and when he and his friends were threatened he went into Soldier mode acting this tactics and doing things to help his cause, now if you try that "oh but he totally pussied out at the end." He really didnt, at the end of the series Cap was knocked OUT of soldier mode and given time to think and thats why what happened, happened. Also the way Cloak and Dagger were in this series is amazing, never have these great characters been used so much in a big title like this and they were used effeciently. Dont get sore because people know who Pete is (gonna make some cool stories) and because Tony and Reed are now seen as these evil fucks. Tony Stark is now head of S.H.I.E.L.D right!? Well hello if you ever picked up New Avengers you'd know right now S.H.I.E.L.D has actually got something wrong with it being corrputed soStark coming off like the way he is, is a good idea and way in story development.

So you're saying "anyone with an actual attachment" isn't a sweeping generalisation? Seriously, I didn't like what it did to the characters, but I did like the actual Civil War. While I do agree that it did horrible things to characters, I'm sure there are some people who did enjoy it. It's not the actual fact that you disliked Civil War I'm picking on, it's the fact that you all but said "everyone with an attachment" hates it.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Well i'm sorry if i offended you and i dont know what you mean..talk to like "that. But anyway, about you're statement about Tony being turned into a self serving fuck. I think it was him during "armour wars" i think it's called that, where he was exactly that, self serving. ALso once again taking on Captain America. Tony has always been quite self serving. Plus saying throw hank pym into all that, Marvel may have noticed they done that as you notice in Civil War three or four i think Hank Pym shows alot of remorse for what he's done. Also in Avengers The initiative he defiantley shows alot of remorse for whats happened and whats done, especially in issue two where he decides to single handley take down a Hydra ship so people rememebr him doing that...heroing.

So you're saying "anyone with an actual attachment" isn't a sweeping generalisation? Seriously, I didn't like what it did to the characters, but I did like the actual Civil War. While I do agree that it did horrible things to characters, I'm sure there are some people who did enjoy it. It's not the actual fact that you disliked Civil War I'm picking on, it's the fact that you all but said "everyone with an attachment" hates it.

Fair enough. Point taken. I guess I meant more people with long term investment in the characters. Longer term than a few years, longer term than five to ten years. So I was mistaken in how I said it, and for that I apologize for the sweeping generalization I did in fact make.

And Armor Wars was about Tony keeping his technology out of the hands of the villians of the Marvel U, as was already said. He fought Cap for very different reasons than they did in CW.

Who cares about Tony anymore, he's been so badly handled in the last few years it's almost a moot point to argue it, let's discuss Reed and how horribly he was handled. Seriously, if you can't write Reed fucking Richards right, you shouldn't be writing, he's the easiest character in the entire universe, Marvel or otherwise, to write for.

Guest Coowra

Well i stand corrected for the Armour Wars remark then.

I also agree with the Reed remark. I didn't even try to defend him earlier in the arguement.

On another subject....World War Hulk...anyone else psyched for this!?

Edited by Coowra

I dug Civil War and although the majority of it was all one sided. Sure, Tony could have been portrayed better and I agree that Richards was done poorly, I liked it and the effects on the 616 Universe it has. Although the X-Men tie-in was horrid times 10.

But the point, I think, TGC was trying to make, is what's the point in making massive changes to the universe if you're just going to change the characters in it? You may as well just have introduced new characters into their roles. I'm all for artistic license with characters, but you can't just outright go against who characters are.

But the point, I think, TGC was trying to make, is what's the point in making massive changes to the universe if you're just going to change the characters in it? You may as well just have introduced new characters into their roles. I'm all for artistic license with characters, but you can't just outright go against who characters are.

Guest Coowra

I'm sure this has been covered in the topic, but know of any sites that I can get some books?

Recent and some old school stuff would be nice. The place I have by me is downright awful.

Thanks guys.