The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Disrespecting characters history or their actual characters. Since CW is long over, I feel no need to put things in spoiler tags, but I will say that I am about to reveal a few things, so you might want to leave now if you don't want it mentioned.

Okay?

Okay.

Tony Stark, Hank Pym, and Reed Richards are now all murderers. Yeah, that's total disrespect. It's totally out of character, and it's some of the shittiest writing I've ever encountered. This kind of thing would fly in the Ultimate Universe, but not in Marvel Prime.

Spider-Man revealing his true identity to the world, no longer worried about the health of Aunt May or MJ or any of his countless other friends. This is completely against everything the character has ever done or said. "Oh but Tony convinced him to do it, Teej." And why? Another example of Tony being written out of character.

Just two examples. I'm all for change and maturing the characters and allowing them to grow and evolve, but this wasn't that. This was bad writing all around.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Reed, Pym, Spidey, sure. But Tony has killed people before (unless there's some retcon I wasn't aware of), and his character's been twisted in so many different directions over the years that what is/isn't in/out of character for him is pretty much impossible to define.

Reed, Pym, Spidey, sure. But Tony has killed people before (unless there's some retcon I wasn't aware of), and his character's been twisted in so many different directions over the years that what is/isn't in/out of character for him is pretty much impossible to define.

Who did Tony kill? If you refer to him being a bad guy working for Kang for years, that was pretty much done away with post Heroes Reborn. If not, I am totally forgetting what you might be thinking of.

I have to bring this up, because it's such a brilliant thing. Bullet Points, I'd suggest it to anyone who asked, it's one of those things that sounded fantastic but was a slight dissapointment when it came out, but the more I read it the better it gets, I loved the fact they acknowledge that not everything changes, just a few (major) things. It's a simple story, a simple premise, but it's a brilliant story and brilliant premise. The ending with Rogers/Parker is a touching moment you rarely feel close to in a mini-series.

Shit, I just read a synopsis for Bullet Points and it sounds fucking awesome.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Who did Tony kill? If you refer to him being a bad guy working for Kang for years, that was pretty much done away with post Heroes Reborn. If not, I am totally forgetting what you might be thinking of.

Disrespecting characters history or their actual characters. Since CW is long over, I feel no need to put things in spoiler tags, but I will say that I am about to reveal a few things, so you might want to leave now if you don't want it mentioned.

Okay?

Okay.

Tony Stark, Hank Pym, and Reed Richards are now all murderers. Yeah, that's total disrespect. It's totally out of character, and it's some of the shittiest writing I've ever encountered. This kind of thing would fly in the Ultimate Universe, but not in Marvel Prime.

Spider-Man revealing his true identity to the world, no longer worried about the health of Aunt May or MJ or any of his countless other friends. This is completely against everything the character has ever done or said. "Oh but Tony convinced him to do it, Teej." And why? Another example of Tony being written out of character.

Just two examples. I'm all for change and maturing the characters and allowing them to grow and evolve, but this wasn't that. This was bad writing all around.

You realise barely any of that has any real effect on "The Other", in fact, that wasn't even the aftermath of The Other, that's after that. So explain again why The Other disrespected Spider-Man :P

I never said The Other disrespected Spider-Man. You misinterpreted the two different posts. I said The Other sucked. I then said I dislike a company that disrespects it's characters.

Ah fair enough, yes, I agree on the doing away with character personas. Especially Peter, of all the ways to reveal Spider-Man to the world, that was not it, it was just an excuse to bolster sales. I'm pissed off with Reed most of all, seriously, Mr Fantastic and the rest of the FF are the only character sin the entire universe who should never under any circumstances be able to be counted as a murderer.

Is the Spidey: Reign series worth checking out?

It has a Hypno Hustler cameo. So my answer is yes, even if I've never actually read it in its entirety.

Guest Coowra

Hey new to the forum here so first of all just hi.

I saw a comic topic so thought i would dive right in. Just wondering anyone here pick up the new "New Avengers" "Runaways" or "Daredevil."

All Marvel titles.

I've started collecting New Avengers from the current arc (forget the name), and its enjoyable stuff.

I've read Ed Brubaker's Daredevil run in trade and its immense, it's just really, really great, and I'm collecting the current arc in actual comics.

A friend forced me to buy a couple of the Bendi Daredevils, Underboss which was alright, and Out, which I haven't read yet.

I never read Runaways, but I brought that 'story so far' special issue last month and wasn't impressed, so I won't be reading.

Guest Coowra

I've started collecting New Avengers from the current arc (forget the name), and its enjoyable stuff.

I've read Ed Brubaker's Daredevil run in trade and its immense, it's just really, really great, and I'm collecting the current arc in actual comics.

A friend forced me to buy a couple of the Bendi Daredevils, Underboss which was alright, and Out, which I haven't read yet.

I never read Runaways, but I brought that 'story so far' special issue last month and wasn't impressed, so I won't be reading.