The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I haven't read a comic book in like...7 years? Maybe more. I kind of want to get back into it, but I wouldn't know where to start. What can I pick up now that I'll actually be able to read without having to spend a fortune on back issues or whatever? Bear in mind that I won't know who some of these new-fangled characters are (and I've probably forgotten some of the old-fangled ones too).

Had to go to the mall where the comics shop is today to pick up a book I ordered at Waldenbooks last week (`The Death of WCW' book), so I called to see if I had any comics in this week. The comic in question was the ONLY book I had in (not surprisingly, since I picked up my comics last week).

a. I got the variant cover, which was surprising. (Not that I care either way, as I buy comics to READ)

b. The guy at the register said when they put the book on the stands, they sold out within an hour and a half.

c. Found this out at another board, but some idiot paid $310.00 + almost $8.00 s&h for both covers on eBay. That person is going to feel like an idiot in a few months, if not sooner. Especially with Marvel announcing that they overprinted the book, and a second printing probably being a lock.

d. There are already a few things pointing at it being a possible swerve.

Edited by GhostMachine

I went into Forbidden Planet yesterday and they had one issue of the variant cover left, so I got that. It was done fairly well I thought.

I also got the first two issues of the Garth Ennis written Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears comic, both issues were very good. Oh, and last week was the last issue of Doctor Strange: The Oath, which was fantastic.

I went into Forbidden Planet yesterday and they had one issue of the variant cover left, so I got that. It was done fairly well I thought.

I also got the first two issues of the Garth Ennis written Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears comic, both issues were very good. Oh, and last week was the last issue of Doctor Strange: The Oath, which was fantastic.

Edited by GhostMachine

Speaking of Ghost Rider.....I have a question:

I haven't been keeping up lately, but I know there's Trail of Tears and....another GR, series, I think? I've heard Johnny Blaze is Ghost Rider again apparently, but....

Is he bonded with Noble Kale (who was bonded to Danny Ketch and is his and Blaze's ancestor), Zarathos again, or is it essentially just Blaze with the Ghost Rider powers?

i was going to start a new thread but i'll just post my questions in here:

Where do i go now that civil war has just finished? i'm currently following astonishing xmen anyway but i'm interested to see whats happening to spiderman and daredevil (im intruiged to know whats happening in this prison storyline he's in or something) now that civil war is over.

which issues should i look out for?

and! regarding the end of civil war:

on the final few pages, was that spider man ina black suit and underground??

I want to get back into comics after being out of the loop for a couple of years - House of M bored me to tears apart from the Spiderman story, and caused me to give up, and I've therefore missed the Civil War (right?). I'm a Marvel man myself, and I'm preferrably looking for something that's just started/starting, so I can get into it right from the beginning. Any recommendations?

Speaking of Ghost Rider.....I have a question:

I haven't been keeping up lately, but I know there's Trail of Tears and....another GR, series, I think? I've heard Johnny Blaze is Ghost Rider again apparently, but....

Is he bonded with Noble Kale (who was bonded to Danny Ketch and is his and Blaze's ancestor), Zarathos again, or is it essentially just Blaze with the Ghost Rider powers?

The new series is up to issue 8. They haven't really explored too much yet, but it seems to just be Blaze on his own (dressed as Ketch, as in the movie). I never read any of the old Ghost Rider stuff, but I've found the new series to be quite good.

I want more information on this "Trail of Tears" Ghost Rider.

Well, there's not much to tell, yet. The series is at #2, and basically the story is kinda like this, ATM:

A soldier from the American civil war is injured, and rescued by a former slave who had bought his freedom and some land. That soldier befriends the slave and his family, working with them for about 2 years. Finally, he goes away, and eventually racist fellows slaughter the family. When the soldier comes back, he goes on to avenge the family, but when he gets to the property of 3 of the killers, they have been horribly slaughtered, with one of them walking while he was dead, before imploding. We then see a hooded figure watching from far away, on a horse, red eyes glowing on an otherwise shadowed face. Probably Ghost Rider. Maybe he's the former slave who was killed after being forced to watch his wife raped by about 12 men, and his children crucified? It's a good series so far, at least I'm liking it, written by Garth Ennis and drawn by Clayton Crain.

on the final few pages, was that spider man ina black suit and underground??

Yes.

It's part of the "Back In Black" storyline, which is already running on the Spider-Man titles; on Amazing Spider-Man, which is the title most related to the Civil War and where the "main" storylines occur, Aunt May has been shot by a sniper (bullet intended for Spidey, who ducked, saving MJ in the process, but not being able to save aunt May). It's unclear whether she survives or not; however, we know the reason he donned the black suit is because "he's not the same man". Take it for what it's worth.

According to last week's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, she's currently in a coma. I can't imagine they'll get rid of her.

Okay, I was reading some Toronto newspaper today and they said the first Buffy season 8 comic comes out Wednesday. Is this true? Because I don't regularly follow comics, but Astonishing X-Men with Joss has been awesome and Joss + Buffy = Must. :D

Yes, Buffy starts on Wednesday. I think Joss Whedon is writing the first four issues, then handing it off.

Also mark March 31st down on your calendars, because that's when the first issue of Tek Jansen comes out.