The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

But Tony and co. ARE the villains, that's the point, they're bad guys who have their motives, just like any 'real world bad guy' they're not out and out evil, they believe in their cause and would do anything for it.

I love the name Winter Soldier personally, I think it defines his character and past pretty damn well, especially if you read the Winter Kills (IIRC) one-shot.

Vilge, you should give Captain America a chance. The artwork on the book is excellent, and the writing lately has been fairly great. (They even did an issue recently that didn't have Cap in it, and it was good!) You might be tempted to avoid it due to the fact that they brought back Bucky, but the way it was handled was fairly well done, and there's an interesting plot going on with him working with Nick Fury.

My one artistic gripe about the way Cap is drawn in a lot of comics is that a lot of artists draw his shirt as if its scale mail, and its actually supposed to be chainmail.

If you have to choose five Marvel series and no more then you should be reading:

5. Captain America

4. She-Hulk

3. Criminal

2. Runaways

1. Daredevil

And while Criminal is published by Marvel, it is an ICON book, meaning it is Vertigo like and it is owned by the creators, Bru and Sean Phillips, and has no ties to any other Marvel books at all.

Seriously, these are the best five books Marvel is publishing, and might be five of the best books being published by any comic book company period.

If you had to choose five DC books and no more you should be reading:

5. Hellblazer

4. Y The Last Man

3. All Star Superman

2. Manhunter

1. Birds Of Prey

Hellblazer and Y are Vertigo books, and Y is wrapping up it's five year run this year, so they have nothing else to buy aside from them. All Star Superman is kind of like an Ultimate book, only it seems to only ship maybe 4 times a year, so the cost there is nil. Manhunter is soon to be cancelled, again. Leaving only BoP as the sole monthly book that will ever tie into any other ongoing mainstream DC book. All five are excellent books, which is becoming the exception rather than the rule over at DC since Infinite Crisis came and sucked ass.

I dumped Ms. Marvel because the writing wasn't that great, and the change in artwork was the last straw. They put Mike Wieringo, who is normally one of my favorite pencilers, on the book, but gave him an inker I've never even heard of before who sucks.

My current Marvel list:

Captain America

My current, full comics subscription list:

Batman

Captain America

Justice Society of America

Shonen Jump

Wonder Woman

By the way, if anyone here believes in supporting small press\independent publishers, check out a book put out by Spinner Rack Comics called Honor Brigade. The two creators are a couple of guys from a message board I've been part of for several years now, and it looks like its going to be a pretty good series. (I play City of Heroes with the writer, and the artist used to make hero skins for the game Freedom Force and its sequel Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich) They actually have 3 issues done so far, but just got a distribution deal so the first issue is being solicited.

If you have Previews (the Jan with Buffy on one side, Black Adam on the other), Honor Brigade is on page 313.

If you have to choose five Marvel series and no more then you should be reading:

5. Captain America

4. She-Hulk

3. Criminal

2. Runaways

1. Daredevil

No love for Astonishing X-Men? Or Iron Fist? Or Dr. Strange: The Oath (which is a limited series, so I can see how you might have ommitted it)?

Since I love lists, my top 5 Marvel comics right now are...

1. Captain America

2. Daredevil

3. Astonishing X-Men

4. Immortal Iron Fist

5. Ultimate Spider-Man

I'd talk about the DC books, but everything outside of Action Comics and All-Star Superman is missable.

I did forget an honorable mention that goes to any issue of Detective Comics written by Paul Dini. SUPERB!

And I read AXM in trade, which is why I forgot about it, but yes Whedon and Cassady do the best X-Men in a decade. As for Iron Fist and Dr. Strange, I have read neither, although I plan to get Strange in trade format when it is released, I mean it is written by Vaughn.

My rather limited list includes Astonishing X-Men, Cable and Deadpool and Doctor Strange: The Oath as the main ones.

I read more, but they're the ones I really look forward to getting.

OH - A Man Called Kev, a Wildstorm five issue mini-series has just finished, and that was great. Its was Garth Ennis writing.

Five page previews for comics tied into CW that are relased tomorrow in the US.

Be aware that they might contain spoilers, such as

the listing for Front Lines says that

"The betrayer among the Marvel heroes stands revealed, as war with Atlantis seems inevitable! And Speedball comes face-to-face with his accuser!

Edited by 28 TGCs Later

Im not too happy with the newest Frontline, more specifcally the Embedded arc.

They built up the big reveal of this bombshell news on Tony Stark, right up to the very end, and then just leave it for the next issue, meaning this issue might as well have just been a preview fro next weeks rather than its own. That and, Jameson being all respectful was way out of character. Ill have to read the rest, but worst part of the Embedded storyline yet.

Frontline #10

Okay, Robbie Baldwins new identity blew me away, that's some amazing hero creation, more than made up for the lack of real revelation we were told we'd get. Penance is my new favourite 'new generation' Marvel hero!

Then you might wish to pick up Thunderbolts 110, which the place where Penance will now regularly appear.

He sucks and last i knew he was turned into a Horsemen for Apocalypse. I dunno if he got unturned or not. It was before the big changes in the X Books creative teams.

How can you think Gambit sucks? He was the one of the only real reasons to watch the 1990's cartoon :(

(I don't really think that, it's hyperbole people).