The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Frontline #10

Okay, Robbie Baldwins new identity blew me away, that's some amazing hero creation, more than made up for the lack of real revelation we were told we'd get. Penance is my new favourite 'new generation' Marvel hero!

Conversely, I think it's the most hilariously lame thing I have ever seen. I hardly see the point of Emo Goth Speedball and the whole S&M outfit is just cheesy. The only way this can even begin to work is if Ellis plays it for laughs in Thunderbolts because oh my god what.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got a quasi-free Ghost Rider #7 (I accidentally bought two covers for a comic thinking it was seperate issues and got one replacement), and I've got to say, the storyline intruiges me, but by god the artwork is ugly, I feel like I'm being distracted from a potentially very clever 'big bad' storyline by a very stupid choice in art. It's not even bad in the context of the comic, it's just outright bad.

If its Corben, its crap.

Only had two comics in this week:

Batman #662 and Justice Society of America #2. The ending of the Grotesk storyline was lame, but at least I get to look forward to Grant Morrison's Joker story next issue. The new Starman unmasks at the end of Justice Society #2, and he is

Thom Kallor, aka the pre-Crisis Star Boy from Legion of Super Heroes, and apparently also of Kingdom Come. Still has the beard, by the way.

Was waaaay too obvious about it being Thom Kallor, seeing as how his Starman costume is pretty much his last pre-Crisis costume with a mask added, but the KC revelation is an interesting twist.

Five new comics for me this week: Spider-Man Reign #2 which was good, the latest Cable & Deadpool that was strange. It was an average story, with a million plot-holes, yet was still good, mostly due to hilarity. I'm reading Ultimate X-Men in trades (though I'm at 10 and stopping), however I've been reading the Cable arc and this week was the last part. It again made me glad I've chosen to stop at trade #10. Then there was the next issue of X-Men: First Class. Good issue in the consistently inconsistent series. Finally, there was a new #1 of Star: Trek TNG comic, and it was actually darn good, even if what could have been a good 2/3 issue story is done with in one issue.

I'm also reading some trades, the afforementioned Ultimate X-Men, and with the re-prints of Cable and Deadpool, I've got volume one to read.

Next week is #4 of Doctor Strange: The Oath which has been great, and the next Moon Knight, which I believe features Spidey this issue.

I just read Thunderbolts and I see a problem with it. At least when it comes to me reading it. I'm never going to want to see them catch anybody. I want the good guys to win.
Edited by TheRaySays

I just read Thunderbolts and I see a problem with it. At least when it comes to me reading it. I'm never going to want to see them catch anybody. I want the good guys to win.

Ah, and therein lies the point. It's like HBO's OZ. In an environment where everyone's evil, you strangely find yourself rooting for the least evil. Also, no doubt some of the guys they catch are going to be optioned onto the team, leading to a power struggle. Clairely.

And, for the record, Richard Corben > you. Come on, he's one of the old school Heavy Metal artists as well as the artist on the uberawesome blaxploitative Brian Azzarello "Cage" MAX mini-series. Kids these days... no respect. Still, I would never in a million years put the guy on Ghost Rider, even for a fill-in issue.

Anybody check out last week's Fantastic Four Civil War tie-in issue? It features more French profanity than anyone deserves! Otherwise, it's kinda lackluster as it's clairely balls late, telling us stuff we already know if we've been reading Civil War. Mad Thinker gets a subtle push, tho, which is coolies.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend me any good reliable/trustworthy websites that I can buy comic books from?

The comic book stores here are usually missing issues I am looking for so I have to venture online now.

http://www.newkadia.com - I know a few people who have used this site, and they're pretty reliable apparently.

Mile High Comics is also supposed to be good, but I had a problem just trying to sign up for their service several years back when my local comics shop closed (they sent me the wrong packet, then when I called them about it, they mailed me the proper catalog but didn't send the sign-up forms or the back issue catalog I asked for), so I haven't used them.

• 2 weeks later...

This was in the Marvel e-mail weekly newsletter thing, previewing May:

- Jeph Loeb, David Finch, John Romita Jr. and John Cassaday head three Fallen Son one-shots as we see how the death of one of Marvel's greatest heroes affects Captain America, Iron Man and Spider-Man.

Interesting.....any thoughts?

This was in the Marvel e-mail weekly newsletter thing, previewing May:

- Jeph Loeb, David Finch, John Romita Jr. and John Cassaday head three Fallen Son one-shots as we see how the death of one of Marvel's greatest heroes affects Captain America, Iron Man and Spider-Man.

Interesting.....any thoughts?

I'm reading through Daredevil: The Devil, Inside and Out. It's the first DD I've read and its fucking good so far, if at times it does touch on how far I'm willing to suspend disbelief. But it is fucking good from what I've read so far.

But, one of the Fallen Son ones is Wolverine isn't it?

I've been reading a shitload of comics these past 6-7 months, but only Marvel. Is there a good jump-on point for DC? Is it worth it? I was planning on picking up Superman and Batman versus Alien and Predator out of sheer curiosity, but apart from that, I'm really not sure. I heard this week's Batman is good, so I might pick that up. Help!