The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I've been reading a shitload of comics these past 6-7 months, but only Marvel. Is there a good jump-on point for DC? Is it worth it? I was planning on picking up Superman and Batman versus Alien and Predator out of sheer curiosity, but apart from that, I'm really not sure. I heard this week's Batman is good, so I might pick that up. Help!

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say, Civil War was... Long winded. I've seen a lot of people around bitching about how it ended and such... but to avoid spoilers...

Herc waylaying Clor was great, Spider-man kicking ass was too. However, Captain America just up and surrendering was just... meh. It's very something he would do to protect people, it just seemed so... sudden. And a bit melodramatic. Stark being head of S.H.I.E.L.D. was expected and should be interesting.

Overall it should have been a 5 issue or so mini. Seemed too stretched out, especially with the extra series and tie-ins. It wasn't exactly the big mega event it was said to be (especially following the last few that happened). But it will be good set-up for stuff to come as everything will have repercussions barring a world wide mind wipe.

And now Hulk shall return and kick the shit out of everything in his way.

Edited by Vilge Duin

I've been reading a shitload of comics these past 6-7 months, but only Marvel. Is there a good jump-on point for DC? Is it worth it? I was planning on picking up Superman and Batman versus Alien and Predator out of sheer curiosity, but apart from that, I'm really not sure. I heard this week's Batman is good, so I might pick that up. Help!

You could always try and catch up on 52, it's a damn good read. It's a few issues in though so you'd have to get back issues somehow

And by a few issues in he means about 38 or so.

There is no good jumping on point. Really, DC is smack dab in the middle of event after event after event, much like Marvel is. Your best bet is to just try a few books and try to get caught up as you go along. Sorry, but that's how DC has been run since Identity Crisis in 2004.

Everyone should check out Y: The Last Man. You can download a pdf of the first issue here http://www.dccomics.com/features/ylastman/

Also here is a little about what the series is about. Found it on wikipedia.

Y: The Last Man is Vaughan's attempt to subvert the classic male fantasy of being the last man on earth. In the series, something (speculated to be a plague) simultaneously kills every mammal possessing a Y chromosome - including embryos, fertilized eggs, and even sperm - with the exception of Yorick Brown, a young amateur escape artist, and his Capuchin monkey, Ampersand.

Society is plunged into chaos as infrastructures collapse and the surviving women everywhere try to cope with the loss of the men, their survivors' guilt, and the knowledge that humanity is doomed to extinction. Vaughan meticulously crafts the new society that emerges out of this chaos, from the conversion of the phallic Washington Monument to a monument to the dead men, to the genesis of the fanatical ultra-feminist Daughters of the Amazon, who believe that Mother Earth cleansed itself of the "aberration" of the Y chromosome, to male impersonators becoming valued romantically and professionally.

Over the course of their journey, Yorick and his friends discover how society has coped in the aftermath of the plague. However, many of the women they encounter have ulterior motives in regards to Yorick. Though the subject matter of the series is entirely serious, Y: The Last Man is also noted for its humor. Yorick in particular is a source of one-liners, although the other characters have their moments as well.

Outside of Actions Comics and All-Star Superman, DC is a festering cesspool at this point. Avoid like the plague. Almost every Marvel title is good to great -- Avengers, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Captain America, Astonishing X-Men, Moon Knight, Fantastic Four -- with awesome mini-series all the time, like the Eternals, Dr. Strange: The Oath, and Nextwave. That's not even getting into the Ultimate Marvel universe, which is consistently readable, if nothing else.

DC? With the exception of the titles I listed above, everything seems to be mediocre or worse. There's no real compelling storylines going on anywhere, and their entire continuity is ridiculously convoluted. It's really a complete 180 from where DC was at the beginning of the decade, and I'd just sit it out until they can get their act together.

Plus, they killed the Question! Those fucking sons of bitches KILLED THE QUESTION.

Edited by GhostMachine

I wish you people didn't fucking exist, if Srar hadn't spoiled it on MSN it'd be shock, but then whoever posted a seperate TOPIC saying he was dead in the title I would've found out, if he hadn't done that, Skummy came in here without spoiler tags for it. I want surprises, that's why spoiler tags exist people. Jesus fucking Christ.

Edited by Captain Marvel

Oh shit, sorry; thought it was common knowledge >_<

I try to avoid spoilers for comics like the plague, when reading I get really hyped up and get so involved I ask questions out loud, I suspected it would happen to end Civil War, but when it didn't I relaxed, so this would've come as a MASSIVE moment for me because it seems to come out of left field, it's all like "he's safe... la-di-da... what the fuck?!"

I dunno', maybe it's just because comics are one of few things I can still just enjoy no matter what.