The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I think with the Secret Invasion the only place anything is happening is in Mighty/New Avengers. Secret Invasion itself seems like a great big battle every issue and then the last page is some big reveal. So far all seven seem to be doing this.

Maybe it's because I haven't been following R.I.P. closely and I just picked up a random issue here in the store, but I wasn't much a fan of it at all.

For example, what the fuck was up with Batman's costume? I'm sure there's a good explanation, because why in the fuck is he in yellow and red? If there's a good justification I'll be all for it, but it was just fucking weird and I imagine puts off casual readers quite a bit.

As for Secret Invasion, it hasn't been that great to be honest. As stated, it's been slooooowwwww. I think Civil War was TOO fast-paced. It was okay, but there really wasn't much focus on the characterization. Meanwhile, Secret Invasion has been fucking slow and confusing to keep up with. Mighty and New Avengers have been rather good from what I've read. I'm still fucking confused, though. To be honest I'm not even sure who all is Skrull. That's partially my fault for not reading everything, but I'm still confused.

Marvel needs to find a middle ground. I know X-Men is pretty solid right now, but to be honest Marvel is kind of struggling. Iron Man is pretty good too from what I've heard, but Spidey is absolutely terrible and Secret Invasion is just moving slooowwwllyyy. The Ultimate Universe is still my salvation for Marvel, even if War of the Symbiotes has sucked balls. I am excited for

the return of Gwen, though.

Anyway, I'm still reading The Walking Dead and still loving it. I pick up Elephantmen whenever I can and love that, and I'm trying to catch up on The Young Avengers and The Runaways. I stopped reading Astonishing X-Men after Whedon's run, because the art style put me off quite a bit, but I'll consider getting back into it.

I'm also reading Flight, which is just a huge collection of independent comics put into volumes. I've read Volume 4 and finished 5 yesterday. I still need to read 1, 2, and 3. Basically, I just read them because it's something to read and I can find them at the library. There's nothing to do with superheroes and to be honest half the shit I just don't care about, but there's been some great stories, quite a few cute ones, one or two thought-provoking, and some funny stories as well. There's some solid art amongst some art I absolutely despise, too. All in all there's some great stuff intermingled with some stuff I just don't care about and I figure it's mostly aimed towards kids. However, it is something to read, even if I can finish a volume in probably forty-five minutes. I'll pimp Igloo Head and Tree Head, though, because they're awesome.

Oh, and I'm eagerly anticipating The Joker.

Edited by Will.

Just finished reading the Spider-Man: The Other story arc and I must say, I was thoroughly impressed.

Just everything was great and there were times when I actually wanted to cry. When Mary was crying over Peter as he had just passed, or at the very end when Mary and Peter are just having a romantic evening. There was just great chemistry in those scenes, especially the romantic one. Kirsten Dunst's acting in the third Spider-Man film has now been demoted even worse than it already was in my mind. It's now

---- here's the line of excellence, where Mary Jane was through most of The Other

---- Here's crap

---- and here's Kirsten Dunst in SM3, looking up at crap.

Other times I was so damn jealous of Spidey and his superpowers that I felt like a kid again watching his 90's animated series. The spikes I'm kind of on the fence about, but I could live with seeing it in the future. I really liked the fact that they acknowledged Peter seemed to oddly only be able to have adhesiveness on his hands. Oh, and I can't say enough about the dream in Peter's coma, except for one damn box where the personification of his Spider-Powers seems a little too clear and articulate. Other than that, fucking amazing work there. It seems like they could have gone a lot of cool places with this, but after reading the wiki about how they just jumped to One More Day and the Mephisto thing which everyone's been saying is awful, I'm a little disappointed. Oh well, still an amazing read!

Just finished reading the Spider-Man: The Other story arc and I must say, I was thoroughly impressed.

Just everything was great and there were times when I actually wanted to cry. When Mary was crying over Peter as he had just passed, or at the very end when Mary and Peter are just having a romantic evening. There was just great chemistry in those scenes, especially the romantic one. Kirsten Dunst's acting in the third Spider-Man film has now been demoted even worse than it already was in my mind. It's now

---- here's the line of excellence, where Mary Jane was through most of The Other

---- Here's crap

---- and here's Kirsten Dunst in SM3, looking up at crap.

Other times I was so damn jealous of Spidey and his superpowers that I felt like a kid again watching his 90's animated series. The spikes I'm kind of on the fence about, but I could live with seeing it in the future. I really liked the fact that they acknowledged Peter seemed to oddly only be able to have adhesiveness on his hands. Oh, and I can't say enough about the dream in Peter's coma, except for one damn box where the personification of his Spider-Powers seems a little too clear and articulate. Other than that, fucking amazing work there. It seems like they could have gone a lot of cool places with this, but after reading the wiki about how they just jumped to One More Day and the Mephisto thing which everyone's been saying is awful, I'm a little disappointed. Oh well, still an amazing read!

If you liked The Other, you should try and get a hold of the What If they did based on the story. It's a "What If" where Peter rejected the Spider's offer. Fun read. And yeah, I was also curious about the new powers until they fucked things up.

So, I got Joker today and just finished reading it. It was absolutely fucking fantastic, and dare I say the best Joker one-shot out of all of them. Obviously The Joker was the star of the show and he was fucking rad. He was FUCKED UP, dare I say more fucked up than The Joker in The Dark Knight. He was just twisted, and fucking awesome for it. For example...

He skins a dude alive and forces everyone in a strip club to see said skinned dude wander about on stage before dying.

The takes on Harvey Dent, Killer Croc

Cannibalismwtf
, Harley Quinn, and the Penguin were awesome. It was incredibly gruesome, gritty, and the art style worked perfectly with the superb writing. I often hate first-person perspective writing, but it worked perfectly here. IGN gave it a 9.8 out of 10 and it definitely deserves that. I need to read it again, but it's in the top five of my favourite one-shots right now.

Fucking read it, because it's brilliant. It's also incredibly dark, gruesome, and amazing.

I've been starting to read Y: The Last Man recently. I like buying the books with 5 issues or so in them as I can read through them pretty fast but I must say this series has deserved all the acclaim it has gotten. It's amazing and while slightly unrealistic is still feels like it could happen at any time

I've been starting to read Y: The Last Man recently. I like buying the books with 5 issues or so in them as I can read through them pretty fast but I must say this series has deserved all the acclaim it has gotten. It's amazing and while slightly unrealistic is still feels like it could happen at any time

It's great pretty much all the way through. Not sure it needed 10 full volumes - it could've probably done just as well with 8, but I really enjoyed it all the way through. A very good read.

I agree with Wintersun (who lent me his volumes >_>) from the 8 volumes I've read, it's all good to very good but highly readable, bar Volumbe 4 which was pants. There's the odd shaky bit and it does feel like it's going 60 issues for the sake of going 60 issues, but it's largely a very good read that I'd recommend.

Anyone who might be a fan of or are reading DC's Robin, Nightwing, or Birds Of Prey are all officially shit out of luck. All three have been cancelled.

Which leads credence to Dick being Batman after Batman R.I.P. is over. Surprised BoP was cancelled, though.

Anyone who might be a fan of or are reading DC's Robin, Nightwing, or Birds Of Prey are all officially shit out of luck. All three have been cancelled.

Which leads credence to Dick being Batman after Batman R.I.P. is over. Surprised BoP was cancelled, though.

And low sales can't be considered a reason considering that the books were middle of the pack sellers with many lower selling DC books still going.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody read Silver Surfer: Requiem? I just finished it myself and it was a pretty interesting read all-in-all. It wasn't full of action, but the action that was there felt really significant. Basically, for those who might be interested, the premise is Surfer contracts a terminal illness and the story follows him through his final days going from planet to planet and using his amazing powers. Once I finished, my basic summary of thoughts were that I wish Jesus was as cool as Norrin Radd.

• 2 weeks later...
125-130 or so? And although he only makes a brief appearance, The Riddler is rad as fuck. Like, ten times radder than the normal Riddler. I'd love to see this adaptation become the normal Riddler, to be honest.

If that became the normal Riddler, I'd stop reading. The Riddler in JOKER was fucking stupid. He went from being a smart yet crazy dude who likes Riddles, to a tatt'ed up crack head looking dude. I didn't like it one bit.