The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

In Rebirth, before the story begins, there's a page where they go through each main character and explain the backstory, so he won't be completely clueless to it. I had never read GL before rebirth, but got caught up quickly thanks to them having that information in the book.

Ah, okay, didn't remember that. Yeah, then Rebirth is definitely a great place to start.

BTW, Boulder, did you ever read Green Lantern: Agent Orange or Green Lantern: Secret Origins by Geoff Johns? Are they worth getting?

Yeah, I read them both, and they were both good. Neither was as good as Rage of the Red Lanterns, which I believe came between those two storylines, but if you like Geoff Johns on Green Lantern you'll probably like both (or all three) stories. Plus, they all lead into Blackest Night, about which I had mixed feelings, but is certainly the biggest GL event since Johns took over.

If anyone cares, I added a new piece to my Comic Art Fans gallery. (Got the artwork last month, but had to get a new scanner)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetailSearch.asp?ATy=2&GCat=24836

Fantastic drawing, I miss seeing Chris G. draw the Mini-Marvels. Did you pick it up at a convention?

Agent Orange is worth it because Larfleeze is neck-and-neck with Scandal Savage for my favorite DC character introduced in the last five years.

On that note, Secret Six remains fucking fantastic. I love that Gail Simone has her own little b/c-list villain sandbox to play in and write fantastic black comedy for.

If anyone cares, I added a new piece to my Comic Art Fans gallery. (Got the artwork last month, but had to get a new scanner)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetailSearch.asp?ATy=2&GCat=24836

Fantastic drawing, I miss seeing Chris G. draw the Mini-Marvels. Did you pick it up at a convention?

No. He had a special deal on his website last month where he was selling a limited time only package including a digest collecting issues of a mini-series featuring his original creation G-Man, the first issue of another G-Man series, and a sketch (customer's choice of character). I had a hard time trying to decide between Captain America, Hawkeye or Batman. (I've seen Batman pictures he's done for other people)

I got it in the mail around the end of last month, but I had to get a new scanner before I could post it anywhere and finally got a new one a few days ago.

Edited by GhostMachine

In regards to The Punisher and the Dark Reign storyline...

Holy shit, I did not see that coming. Frank Castle gets killed by Daken. Totally brutal fight that ends with Castle in pieces. I'm going to go through now and pick up the ongoing Punisher series, to see where they're going with "Frankencastle" and Morbius and whatnot... but I'm mostly doing it out of curiosity. It doesn't sound like the greatest idea, and really, where do they go after that?

I weep, knowing Dark Avengers has reached it's end. Think about it people... Norman Osborn was Marvel's #1 seller! And not just on the heels of his "promotion". He maintained that edge. I'd like to think Gobby has finally become one of Marvel's "elite" villains. Thoughts?

Just got paid yesterday (including my annual bonus, wooo!), so I'm looking for another batch of TPB purchases...probably about six of them in total. Currently I have:

New Avengers #4 (The Collective)

New Avengers #5 (Civil War)

New Avengers #6 (Revolution)

Green Lantern Rebirth appears to have a new print edition being released on June 25th, so I'll wait for that rather than bother with Amazon Marketplace for an older version.

Not sure what direction to go in for the other three. I really liked House of M, but from what I can tell the obvious spin-off is Decimation, and the first book of that (X-Men - The Day After) isn't currently available on Amazon for whatever reason. Plus I can't quite tell whether it's meant to be any good or not. Probably not inspired to get House of M's Civil War book either (as surely there's only so much Civil War that can be worthwhile...).

If I were to get some more Captain America (having only got Winter Soldier), should I just head right into Death of Captain America or are there others I should get first?

And I'm also looking at Iron Man options. A quick glance at Amazon suggests that the Marvel Platinum 'The Definitive Iron Man' collection is presumably designed to be the first purchase for those drawn in by the film(s), but since there are all sorts of others floating around like Invincible Iron Man/Director of SHIELD/etc. I guess I should check about those as well. :shifty:

On a sidenote, I read a friend's copy of 1602 last weekend. That was good fun.

Isn't the Green Lantern Rebirth that's coming out the Absolute edition? If so, it's a big, hardcover volume with a lot of extras, but also quite pricey. You might be better off just looking for the trade.

As far as Cap goes, there are three trades (Red Menace 1 & 2, Civil War) that bridge the gap between Winter Soldier and Death of Cap. You might be able to get by without reading them, but they all introduce elements that come into play in future stories, and they're all really good.

With Iron Man, you can either start with the beginning of Matt Fraction's run on the title (there's an omnibus of the first 19 issues, or you can get the first trade, The Five Nightmares), or you can go back to Warren Ellis's Extremis. If you're not looking to spend a lot of money the former option might be better, but Extremis is really the start of the "modern" Iron Man and I thought the Knaufs' work which followed it was superb.

There is an 'Absolute' hardcover edition of Rebirth that goes on sale for £39.19 tomorrow. I'm waiting for an £8.24 paperback version that comes out a month from now. (Y)

In the end I've gone for...

New Avengers #4 (The Collective)

New Avengers #5 (Civil War)

New Avengers #6 (Revolution)

Captain America: Red Menace #1

Captain America: Red Menace #2

Invincible Iron Man #1 (The Five Nightmares)

Curiously, I noticed that while the big hardcover Iron Man omnibus is said to contain issues 1-19, the separate three TPBs (of which The Five Nightmares is the first) are supposedly 1-6, 8-13 and 14-19. Not quite sure what's happened to 7 amongst all that, but oh well.

Good call on the trades. IIM #7 was a one-shot dealing with Spider-Man and Iron Man's relationship post-Civil War and Secret Invasion. It was a good issue, I'm surprised they didn't stick it on The Five Nightmares.

sorry for the dumb question, but is this the complete civil war story?

Like, I seen all of these http://tplist.millarworld.net/civilwar.html on that page, and are those all of the civil war stories included in the amazon link, or are they different ones?

And, is Civil War worth getting? Was it good? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm pretty new to comics and was just wondering. Thanks. (Y)

Just read the first issue of the new Avengers series. Words cannot describe how much I wish Brian Michael Bendis would stop trying to write the Avengers, it's like if you hired Garth Ennis to write Captain Marvel.

sorry for the dumb question, but is this the complete civil war story?

Like, I seen all of these http://tplist.millarworld.net/civilwar.html on that page, and are those all of the civil war stories included in the amazon link, or are they different ones?

And, is Civil War worth getting? Was it good? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm pretty new to comics and was just wondering. Thanks. (Y)

The first link says it contains Civil War #1-7, which means is literally just a hardback copy of the fourth title listed in the second link, aka the 'main' Civil War story.

As for the other ones in that second link, I read 'The Road To Civil War' before I read the main 'Civil War', and it certainly helped for someone like me whose Marvel knowledge is/was, um...'sketchy'. They were both good and I would recommend them. Haven't got/read the other side-bits yet (although I'll probably be reading the New Avengers one today :shifty:).

Just read the first issue of the new Avengers series. Words cannot describe how much I wish Brian Michael Bendis would stop trying to write the Avengers, it's like if you hired Garth Ennis to write Captain Marvel.

Well now that's something I will forever dream about. Ennis on Captain Marvel. Wow that would be great.

I don't know much about comics besides the main guys they make movies out of but my roommate checked out The Tornado's Path and now I want to get hooked. Loved the story line but I am a little lost since they formed a new Justice League in it? Where should I go from here?

I don't know much about comics besides the main guys they make movies out of but my roommate checked out The Tornado's Path and now I want to get hooked. Loved the story line but I am a little lost since they formed a new Justice League in it? Where should I go from here?

You would look for the following:

Vol# Title Material collected

1 The Tornado's Path Justice League of America (vol. 2) #1-7

2 The Lightning Saga Justice League of America (vol. 2) #0, #8-12, Justice Society of America (vol. 3) #5-6

3 The Injustice League Justice League of America (vol. 2) #13-16, JLA Wedding Special #1

4 Sanctuary Justice League of America (vol. 2) #17-21

5 The Second Coming Justice League of America (vol. 2) #22-26

6 When Worlds Collide Justice League of America (vol. 2) #27-28, 30-34

Justice League: Cry For Justice Cry For Justice #1-7 (Available June)

7 Team History Justice League of America (vol. 2) #38-43 (Available August/September)

You could also toss in Final Crisis somewhere in there, I forget where exactlty, but that was a fucking muddled mess of shit. There is also a bunch of Green Arrow & Black Canary stuff that takes place around the time of the Wedding Special.

Hope that helps.

Furthermore.....some of the best stuff ever in my opinion:

JLA #1-125 (January 1997 - February 2006)

This series has been collected in the following trade paperbacks:

# Title Material collected

1 New World Order JLA #1-4

2 American Dreams JLA #5-9

3 Rock Of Ages JLA #10-15

4 Strength In Numbers JLA #16-23, JLA Secret Files #2, Prometheus One-shot

5 Justice For All JLA #24-33

6 World War III JLA #34-41

7 Tower of Babel JLA #42-46, JLA Secret Files 3, JLA 80-Page Giant 1

8 Divided We Fall JLA #47-54

9 Terror Incognita JLA #55-60

10 Golden Perfect JLA #61-65

11 The Obsidian Age (Book 1) JLA #66-71

12 The Obsidian Age (Book 2) JLA #72-76

13 Rules Of Engagement JLA #77-82

14 Trial By Fire JLA #84-89

15 The Tenth Circle JLA #94-99

16 Pain of the Gods JLA #101-106

17 Syndicate Rules JLA #107-114 and a story from JLA Secret Files 2004

18 Crisis Of Conscience JLA #115-119

19 World Without A Justice League JLA #120-125

Can you explain that? I never read anything Avengers that wasnt written by Bendis. Why is it so bad?