The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

• 4 weeks later...

Spider-Man #649 spoilers.

I'm a big Hobgoblin fan. The Kingsley one, not the MacEndale one. So, I was naturally excited to see the true Hobgoblin, the one who was actually a threat to Spider-Man, back in this storyline after a few years' absence. Let's keep in mind that Kingsley is more than capable of taking care of himself, as he has shown several times in the past. And in this issue, he gets killed in about 3 pages by Phil fuckin' Urich? Really? Phil Urich? The hero Green Goblin? And why? Because Urich was in one of Green Goblin's weapon caches getting some stuff so he could impress a girl?

Seriously, I'm really pissed by this development. I mean, could Kingsley have a lamer death? Fuck.

Totally agree with you there, JLH. I was very :(.

I'm still hoping it's another guy that was killed or something, as you-know-who was known to send brainwashed dupes to do his bidding, and considering his history with the Kingpin, it wouldn't really be very smart to go meet with him himself. But if this is definitive (well, as definitive as it can be in comics), it's waaaaay shitty. Loeb-level shitty. Hell, it even sounds like something Loeb would write himself for the cheap shock.

I've started to check out Ultimate Spider-Man from my local library and it's been good so far. The only problem that I encountered was that I got Volume One in paperback and Volume Two in hardback. However, I realized that I feel like missed something and then I looked it up and found that the volume numbers between paperback and hardback don't correspond. Hardback covers two story arcs while a paperback is just one so I missed out on Learning Curve which I'm now acquiring. I believe the rest of the material at my library is paperback so I'll be on volume five next.

I been buying some Batman comics, I just ordered Year One, Hush, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum and The Dark Knight Returns, all of which were highly recommended to me.

I've also been putting a list together of a lot more Batman comics, but I don't know about the quality. If anyone has read any of the ones I'm listing, can you tell me whether or not they're any good? Sorry in advance for the very long list.

- Batman: The Man Who Laughs

- Batman Four of a Kind

- Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast

- Batman: A Death in the Family

- Batman: Blind Justice

- Batman: The Many Deaths of the Batman

- Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying

- Batman: Sword of Azrael

- The Batman Knightfall series

- Batman: Prodigal

- Batman: Contagion

- Batman: Legacy

- Batman: Cataclysm

- The No Man's Land series

- Batman: Evolution

- Batman: Officer Down

- Batman: False Faces

- Batman: Bruce Wayne, Murderer?

- Bruce Wayne, Fugitive series

- Batman: Death and the Maidens

- Batman: Broken City

- Batman: As the Crow Flies

- Batman: Hush Returns

- Batman: War Drums (Prelude to War Games)

- Batman War Games series

- Batman: War Crimes

- Batman: City of Crime

- Batman: Under The Hood 1 and 2

- Batman: Face the Face

- Batman: Detective

- Batman: Death and the City

- Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul

- Batman: Private Casebook

- Batman: The Black Glove

- Batman: Heart of Hush

- Batman R.I.P.

- Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

- Batman: Battle for the Cowl

- Batman: Long Shadows

- Batman: Arkham Reborn

- Batman: Life After Death

- Batman Legends Of The Dark Knight series

- Batman: Rules of Engagement

- Batman: Lovers and Madmen

- Batman: The Wrath

- Batman: Cat and the Bat

- Batman: Dead to Rights

- Batman: King Tut's Tomb

- Batman: The Bat and the Beast

- Joker: The Devil's Advocate

- Batman: Nine Lives

- Batman: Thrillkiller

- Batman: Tales of the Demon

- Batman: Strange Apparitions

- Batman: Gotham by Gaslight

- Batman Adventures: Mad Love

- Batman & Dracula:​ Red Rain

- Batman Son of the Demon (DC Comics)

- Batman: Cult

- Batman: Anarky

- Batman: The Ring, the Arrow, and the Bat

- Batman: The Last Arkham

- Tales Of The Batman

Edited by Baby Hewey

I love everything Grant Morrison's done on Batman, but it's pretty polarizing. His run starts with Batman and Son, so you should read that before reading Black Glove or R.I.P. Apart from that, I'm not a huge Batman fan. I thought Battle for the Cowl sucked, but it bridges the gap between R.I.P./Final Crisis and Batman and Robin.

Is there a list anywhere of the order of the books? I just read Year One and moved onto The Man Who Laughs after seeing that listed as one of the books that could be considered "next".

I used this, go to modern Batman under the collected editions, and it should be there in order.

Also, thank you Boulder and Steven for the help. I'll look up the Grant Morrison titles. I've heard good things about the Batman and Robin series.

Edited by Baby Hewey
  • Like 1

X-Men: First Class is probably a good place to start off with. It's a re-telling of old stories and new stories featuring the original X-Men group. I'm not sure about it, but I would imagine that the Wolverine/Cyclops/Jean Grey love triangle is explored within those pages at some point.

Ultimate X-Men is a nice thing as well. All three featured prominently in the first few years as well. Sure, the book is cancelled now, but it's not a bad book and I think its all available in like 12 trades or like 6 or so hardcovers.

And how in the blue hell is anyone not familiar with The X-Men????

OK I need some help putting some things in order chronologically. I'm not too big into comics but I've....acquired some stuff to see if I can get into it. I'm familiar with the plots kinda due to wiki but I just wanna make sure I read in order.

Captain America Reborn

The Siege

Secret Invasion

Dark Reign

Civil War

Edited by Kirkland

Thanks! i figured I'd have to use the net to fill in the blanks a bit, hope I don't get too lost,lol

X-Men: First Class is probably a good place to start off with. It's a re-telling of old stories and new stories featuring the original X-Men group. I'm not sure about it, but I would imagine that the Wolverine/Cyclops/Jean Grey love triangle is explored within those pages at some point.

Considering that Wolverine was never a member of the original team, I doubt it unless they do some serious retconning. Closest thing to a triangle with the original team would be Angel being attracted to Jean, but that never went anywhere.

My gripe with First Class? That it even exists. X-Men: The Hidden Years by John Byrne was better, and that series was cancelled because Joe Q is an ass. It was selling better than other comics that weren't cancelled, despite Marvel not really advertising it enough.

Oh, and Kirkland, I was fairly disappointed with Captain America Reborn. Just saying.

Edited by GhostMachine