The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I've still yet to find the Batman comic that can live up to Long Halloween. I think I would have liked Year One better if I hadn't already read Long Halloween and seen Batman Begins, which is a pretty superior telling of essentially the same story.

I've still yet to find the Batman comic that can live up to Long Halloween. I think I would have liked Year One better if I hadn't already read Long Halloween and seen Batman Begins, which is a pretty superior telling of essentially the same story.

Oh, I completely agree. Batman Begins is a far superior origins story. As I was reading through Year One I was hoping Ra's Al Ghul was going to pop up somewhere. I thought the inclusion of Catwoman was totally unnecessary.

Long Halloween is one of my favourites, too. It's in my top 3 along with Dark Knight Returns and Hush.

A Death in the Family is my least favourite. It's just far too camp for my liking although The Joker is pretty ruthless in it.

Hush has always been on my list of comics to read. I've not yet gotten around to it. Have you read Joker, Mach? God damn wonderful. It's such a fantastic look into the character. Arkham Asylum: An Insane House or whatever is pretty great too.

I have first prints of The Walking Dead 7 and 8 that I am looking to unload. I was going to go the E-Bay route, but I thought I'd see if anyone on here was seriously interested in buying them first. Go ahead and message me here if you are interested. I will ship anywhere, and we can work out the price of shipping separate from the price of the book(s).

I sold those motherfuckers for $127.50 last night. Happy Birthday to me!

Opinions on the New 52 Action Comics ? I've heard dreadful things about the actual Superman book but is AC any better ?

I've got a good deal on a purchase for 1-12 and will probably get them for the sole fact that it's the Action Comics reboot and I'm collecting stuff for my kids as much/more than myself now. But, is it worth reading once before putting it away ?

Opinions on the New 52 Action Comics ? I've heard dreadful things about the actual Superman book but is AC any better ?

I've got a good deal on a purchase for 1-12 and will probably get them for the sole fact that it's the Action Comics reboot and I'm collecting stuff for my kids as much/more than myself now. But, is it worth reading once before putting it away ?

YES! It's not perfect, but Morrison throws in some great ideas. It's worth the read.

Joker is stunning, if it's the one I'm thinking of. The artwork is phenomenal, and it really takes the "Batman as concept rather than character" idea to its limits; he barely appears, and when he does, he never looks human, just like an abstract impression of what Batman is. I like the idea of that being how The Joker sees him.

Joker is stunning, if it's the one I'm thinking of. The artwork is phenomenal, and it really takes the "Batman as concept rather than character" idea to its limits; he barely appears, and when he does, he never looks human, just like an abstract impression of what Batman is. I like the idea of that being how The Joker sees him.

That would be Detective Comics yeah ? I mean Action Comics is Superman ...

YES! It's not perfect, but Morrison throws in some great ideas. It's worth the read.

thanks

Sorry - I wasn't answering your question, I was referring to the earlier post about "Joker".

Sorry - I wasn't answering your question, I was referring to the earlier post about "Joker".

... which makes sense :shifty:

On the Batman front though ... thoughts on The Dark Knight ? Didn't even realize I picked up #1 in my New 52 binge ... most of the people I talk to say that the regular Batman book and Detective is the way to go.

... which makes sense :shifty:

On the Batman front though ... thoughts on The Dark Knight ? Didn't even realize I picked up #1 in my New 52 binge ... most of the people I talk to say that the regular Batman book and Detective is the way to go.

I heard bad things about The Dark Knight so never picked it up. I cannot recommend the main Batman book by Snyder enough though. A fantastic book, though the constant crossovers with the 20 other bat books get annoying if you are someone that needs to read all in an event. You do not really miss anything huge by just reading the main book though.

Edited by Trench

I heard bad things about The Dark Knight so never picked it up. I cannot recommend the main Batman book by Snyder enough though. A fantastic book, though the constant crossovers with the 20 other bat books get annoying if you are someone that needs to read all in an event. You do not really miss anything huge by just reading the main book though.

That is good to hear. The CROSSOVERMANIA ! was the main reason I hadn't bothered with it yet.

Well, Earth One is definitely interesting, and it really shakes up what you think you know about Batman. I'm not sure I loved it, but it wasn't like any Batman I'd read previously (save for the art work, which reminded me of The Long Halloween or Dark Victory, but with a slightly more realistic slant on body proportions). That's basically the point, and at the end, you still feel like it deserves to be called a Batman story.

Night of Owls is decent, and it's well-driven, but it isn't the greatest story arc ever told in the regular monthly issues. Still worth the read if you've got it anyway.

AA #1 wasn't bad. I love the old school villian angle though, so ...

Haven't made up my mind on Fantastic Four, Iron Man or Thor yet so they're looking like a 5-10 issue trial to make a full judgement.

Uncanny Avengers is looking like it'll be put on the scrip list for a while.

AA #1 wasn't bad. I love the old school villian angle though, so ...

Haven't made up my mind on Fantastic Four, Iron Man or Thor yet so they're looking like a 5-10 issue trial to make a full judgement.

Uncanny Avengers is looking like it'll be put on the scrip list for a while.

Apparently the artist for Uncanny Avengers is notorious for being late and that is why there are large gaps between the issues. I really enjoy Thor so far though, a different look with the three different time period Thors and I like the creepy villain.