The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

That seems like a deal Disney would have an issue with.

The fun thing about Harley is there's a bunch of it and rebirth didn't change it at all and there's no interruptions. You can go back to the start of the New 52 and read the trades up till now and just have a long story that makes sense all by the same team.

Outside of that I heard Green Arrow rebirth is good but I haven't started yet. Same with Batgirl. 

6 issues into Rebirth Batman Beyond

Spoiler

Ugh. Why can we not have a Batman without Joker? The Jokerz was a brilliant little tribute and way to show that he had influence on the world. Return of The Joker was a fine story letting Terry deal with Joker once and giving closure to Bruce's old adventures. This is lame though. Terry's Gotham does not need Joker lurking around the edges to be interesting.

Honestly, over the last decade I feel a massive Joker fatigue in general for the character. Ledger's Joker was once in a lifetime good, but it's romanticized the character with people and I feel like he's overexposed and seen as some tragic figure now with people identifying with him rather than seeing him as the villain he is.

• Like 1

It's really just the way the business works. In the mid-late 80s they advertised wolverine on EVERYTHING, even on comics he didn't even show up in, or if he did, only like two panels. Same with Silver-Age Spider-man. And much more recently, Iron Man after the first film didn't just put him on the map, but on the forefront of everything that's Marvel and then some.

And of course Deadpool first after he got his own video game, and then when he became the most prominent comic character in hollywood after his film.

Or you know, like Secret Avengers 7 wrote in their solicit "EXECUTIVE DECISION" DEADPOOL DEADPOOL DEADPOOL DEADPOOL DEADPOOL! WE HEARD THAT DEADPOOL RAISES SALES SO WE'RE DOING THIS EARLY ON. JUST KIDDING. ALL ABOUT THE ART. YOU'RE GOING TO PAY FOR THIS, RIGHT?"

Or the Guardians right now, who went from obscure heroes to being featured in most crossover events one way or the other. Especially (Baby) Groot is a merch machine with Rocket a close second.

So yeah, DC thinks they need to boost sales, and they do it the only way they can, by plastering Joker all over it because he's their only continuously popular character.

• Like 1

Spoiler

The weird thing is he was never even on the covers and now he's just back around in the world off-page. The last BB comic introduced The Joker King, a guy that was to be Terry's Joker  and he was a decent character. He was the brother of Terry's girlfriend IIRC.  They should have just given him a more traditional Joker color scheme and used him instead of having elderly Joker roaming around.

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

It's really just the way the business works. In the mid-late 80s they advertised wolverine on EVERYTHING, even on comics he didn't even show up in, or if he did, only like two panels. Same with Silver-Age Spider-man. And much more recently, Iron Man after the first film didn't just put him on the map, but on the forefront of everything that's Marvel and then some.

And of course Deadpool first after he got his own video game, and then when he became the most prominent comic character in hollywood after his film.

Or you know, like Secret Avengers 7 wrote in their solicit "EXECUTIVE DECISION" DEADPOOL DEADPOOL DEADPOOL DEADPOOL DEADPOOL! WE HEARD THAT DEADPOOL RAISES SALES SO WE'RE DOING THIS EARLY ON. JUST KIDDING. ALL ABOUT THE ART. YOU'RE GOING TO PAY FOR THIS, RIGHT?"

Or the Guardians right now, who went from obscure heroes to being featured in most crossover events one way or the other. Especially (Baby) Groot is a merch machine with Rocket a close second.

So yeah, DC thinks they need to boost sales, and they do it the only way they can, by plastering Joker all over it because he's their only continuously popular character.

Oh yeah, absolutely, I get why it happens, I'm just really worn out on the character, I think it's moreso because he's not even a hero.

Completely caught up on Batman Beyond.

Spoiler

I had my issues with the first arc but arc two is great. It retcons some of the animated series lore and it always was going to do that to make it fit in the comic continuity but I wish Bruce's final night as Batman stayed the same.

In the show Bruce gives up being Batman when his health is so bad that he's forced to use a gun to defend himself and the woman he was saving. In this he was forced out because his experimental suit cut off pain receptors and had an AI that forced the wearer to complete their goal no matter what and it forced him to stand and fight after Bane goons broke his back in three places thus crippling him.

I love that Damian was reasonable by the end Instead of just flat out insane and it was kinda cool that he and Terry both broke free of the experimental suit's AI and ripped it off when Bruce said he wouldn't have been able to get free of it originally if the Bane goons hadn't damaged it.

The whole thing with Damian taking over after Ra's passed in his sleep makes me wonder where Talia is. In the show Ra's took over her body to stay alive but that didn't happen here so she should be around.

Reading Green Arrow. Does this cover look strange to anyone else?

Screenshot_2017-10-14-17-22-45.png

Canary is drawn in completely different style. Those two don't look like they should exist in the same world.

I ran into a Batman cover the other week that had Catwoman looking like a 12 year old.

BM_Cv14_ds.jpg?w=630&h=968&zc=1&s=0&a=t&

• Confused 3

Guys, Green Arrow is so good. This is the best set of GA books I've read since the Mike Grell GA series and I've read nearly every Green Arrow book at this point. It should probably be titled "Green Arrow & Black Canary" through for as much as she features.

Also

Screenshot_2017-10-16-06-17-48.png

I love when artists draw a big Wonder Woman. Some draw her the same size as Catwoman and it just looks off. 

Have I talked about how I don't like this art?

Screenshot_20171016-220838.png

Screenshot_20171016-205930.png

I've never looked to see if it's just one particular artist or if it's just a style Marvel enforces but I see it in a bunch of Marvel and I find it way ugly. Too much black, everyone looks Samy with shit hair. Honestly it sometimes just looks like movie or TV screen shots cut together and put through a filter.