The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

On 21/07/2017 at 19:09, The Chiksrara Special said:

Does anyone actually read Secret Empire? I know people were freaking out over the first couple issues and how horrible it all was but now you don't really hear about it. This makes me happy because I really hate it. I was just hoping someone could tell me it was going horrible for Marvel

I enjoyed what I've read thus far, but then again I've only recently started reading comics properly so don't have much to base it on from what I've read (mainly the crossover events Inhuams v X-Men, Avengers v X-Men and Civil War II). I'm also apparently alone in having liked all the all-new, all-different characters.

7 hours ago, Paul Scholes! said:

I'm also apparently alone in having liked all the all-new, all-different characters.

Which ones classify as these? Because I think I like most of them.

I'd say the only one I don't 'like' would be Riri, but that's all to do with the way Marvel debuted her and shot her into relevancy, as opposed to how they've written her which has been quite good all things considered.

Edited by Jasonmufc

I'd say out of all the new characters in the past few years the only major ones I don't like are Riri and Lady Thor. Even then I've not read a ton of lady Thor, I've just seen the worst bits on Reddit, don't like them using Thor as a mantle and have a interest in old Thor/Odinson. 

Edit:Oh and teen Jean most of the time. She's the dirt worst outside of her solo book.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm reading some Friday the 13th comics. I start with Jason X because I liked the movie. Uber Jason gets ejected from a ship and rockets back down to earth and hits the ground. A couple see this, run up to the crater and the guy exclaims "This could be a one of a kind scientific discovery" and the woman's immediate response is to ditch her shirt and say "Cool! Science makes me horny!" and then they're just naked fucking on top of a log while the dude spouts some "science" facts until Jason smashes them with a tree.

Now, I know it's Jason's thing to kill horny teenagers but FFS don't write that lazy just so you can get to the killing faster.

Fun Fact:up until High School where History of the Holocaust, American Military History and Publications were subjects Kirkland's favorite subject in school was Science, because Dinosaurs.

It's great. It's Tom King, who I guess is the current Batman writer but I mostly know him for his run on The Vision, and the premise is wonderfully silly yet plays the whole thing 100% straight.

More Friday the 13th comic stuff.

I wonder if these writers get told they can't beat Jason like the movies do. In a few of these series no one survives and Jason just wades back into the waters at the end. He even goes and pulls one chick out of the hospital just to drag her back to camp and drown her after she got away.

One was different and cool though. The camp reopens and asshole kids try to drown a deformed kid as a sacrifice to Jason. Jason shows up, slices the assholes and takes the deformed kid with him. Over the next like two weeks Jason becomes this weird murderous mute father figure to the boy and he learns to stick up for himself from the whole thing. 

One bad one too. It tales two side by side tales that are supposed to be the same and proof the land is cursed. Jason slaughters three camper that got caught in a snow storm because Jason reasons and the Native man in the other story hunts and kills the white men that raped his wife and then killed her and their baby. Not exactly equal motivations there.

VAULT just launched three more titles:  Alien Bounty Hunter, Zojaqan, and Spiritus.  As with EVERYTHING they've put out before them, these three are freaking amazing. 

update on the pullbox:

THE ENTIRE VAULT LINE (Heathen - legit arguably the best book out right now, Fissure, Powerless, Karma Police, and the three new ones as well as The Atoll)

Defenders, ASM, PP:SS, Ben Reilly:SS, Cable, Weapon X, Astonishing XMen

7 to Eternity, Gone Generation, The Old Guard, Redlands, Redneck

Afterlife w/Archie, Sabrina

Black Eyed Kids, Jimmy's Bastards, Pestilence, Unholy Grail

XO

The Wildstorm, Mist Miracle, Astro City

I might be missing 1 or 2 ....

Screenshot_2017-08-08-16-45-59.png

What exactly is that arm hanging on to? Aside from that this one gave me my favorite kill from all these comics.

Screenshot_2017-08-08-16-47-48.png

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this on Reddit. Figured I'd stick it here too in case anyone can help.

Can someone recommend me something to read.

I'd like a complete story, with a start, middle and end, nothing that will leave me hanging. Other than that I'm pretty open minded.

I prefer your kind of, street-level superheroes, over the really fantastical stuff, and I'd like something relatively modern. No like, 1950's action comics or whatever.

Recently I read

Batman: Year One
Batman: Black Mirror
Catwoman: Selina's Big Score
Daredevil: Guardian Devil
Daredevil: Parts of a Hole

I've got Old Man Logan (The first one) which I've read before, but will probably read again before I purchase something else.

All of those were cool. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm a comic book kinda guy, but I'd like another try.

I know that's kind of open ended, but if you give me a couple suggestions I'll just pick one.

Just now, K said:

Can someone recommend me something to read.

I'd like a complete story, with a start, middle and end, nothing that will leave me hanging. Other than that I'm pretty open minded.

I prefer your kind of, street-level superheroes, over the really fantastical stuff, and I'd like something relatively modern. No like, 1950's action comics or whatever.

Recently I read

Batman: Year One
Batman: Black Mirror
Catwoman: Selina's Big Score
Daredevil: Guardian Devil
Daredevil: Parts of a Hole

I've got Old Man Logan (The first one) which I've read before, but will probably read again before I purchase something else.

All of those were cool. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm a comic book kinda guy, but I'd like another try.

I know that's kind of open ended, but if you give me a couple suggestions I'll just pick one.

If I were you I'd just look into the New 52 Batman volumes. I think there's 7 and I know the 7th is a great end point anyway because of the story it features. Each one should have a good ending though because they're made around separate story arcs.  Also Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman all have "Earth One" graphic novels separate from all other continuity.

1 hour ago, =BK= said:

If I were you I'd just look into the New 52 Batman volumes. I think there's 7 and I know the 7th is a great end point anyway because of the story it features. Each one should have a good ending though because they're made around separate story arcs.  Also Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman all have "Earth One" graphic novels separate from all other continuity.

I've read the first two volumes of New 52 Batman and would recommend them.