Nintendo Wii

Benji

Wii: November 24 for £149?

UK trade magazine predicts Nintendo's launch plans.

by Alex Simmons

UK, September 8, 2006 - Nintendo will release the Wii in Europe by 24 November for £149, according to games industry trade magazine MCV. The paper also claims there will be enough consoles to cater for demand both at launch and during the busy Christmas period.

The news comes ahead of Nintendo's official European announcement, which is expected to made at a London event next Friday. When asked about the possible price and release date Nintendo commented: "We know that everyone is as excited as we are about the pending launch of Wii and as a result there is a lot of speculation and rumours. We ask people to be patient as all will be revealed in due course."

If the Wii does indeed launch for £149, the console will be priced at £50 less than Microsoft's Core Xbox 360 bundle and a staggering £275 less than the predicted price of the PlayStation 3.

IGN will have correspondents at each of the global Wii conferences next week, so watch this space for official confirmations, plus fresh hands-on impressions of the Wii games scheduled for launch and beyond.

Fuck me, I was expecting that date, but that price confirmation is beautiful :wub: I'll be getting me an extra Wiimote and a few games at that price ^_^

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$277.959.

And what exactly are the launch games for this? The price sounds fantastic and it's good to get a date, but all I've heard so far are features and stuff. I'd guess there'll be a Mario platformer, but is there anything really cool out soonish?

Some of the games, new Dragon Quest, Call of Duty 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel, Trauma Center, Wii Sports, Blitz: The League and new Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles among a few.

They should all be out before Christmas.

Edited by Benji O' Doom~!

None of them excite me.

At all.

I'd take FM07, Halo 3, MGS4 and PES6 over all of them.

OK Dan we get it, you don't Nintendo. You don't have to point it out in every post you make.

Agreed, you are going over the top, if you don't care for it then don't bother making comments, unless you become an official Sony or Microsoft rep then I'm going to start warning you for flame baiting my dear, don't make me do that :P

Really, as long as it's under $300 I'm going to try and get one at launch here in the States. It's really the only console that interests me at the moment, at least until GTAIV comes out, at which point I'll probably give the 360 a shot.

I bought a Gamecube about a year ago and as cool as a couple of the games are (granted, I haven't played that many) I just don't think its worth getting because there just isn't enough games that interest me. I got it to "give it a chance" and it impressed me with a couple of games but that was about it.

For instance, say I get a £400 budget to spend over a year on games. I could spend £400 and easily get all the games I'd be interested in for the Gamecube. Translate that budget to say, a PS2, and I could spend £400 on PS2 games and still be wanting to buy others when the money is gone.

I've fell off the gaming wagon a LOT the past couple of years. Got back on for GTA: San Andreas and the last Metal Gear game and probably wont get back on until the new Final Fantasy comes out. I'm willing to give anything a shot so I'm not here to hate on the new Nintendo, I just wont be looking forward to its release. Like the Gamecube, I'll probably hear and like the sound of a couple of games and then buy it when there's a really good offer on, play it a couple of months and that'll be it.

my main problem with nintendo is that the quality of games have been pretty good overall, but the only problem being, there were only about 2-3 games released a month and most of them feature mario in one way or another.

i'd like to think id buy a wii, but its doubtfull. The delay in PS3 has got me interested in 360. so meh

I dunno, the price is higher than I hoped. I was hoping for under $200... $250 would be decent, but $299 would be too much. Still, the novelty of the console itself has me intrigued enough to probably throw down the cash.

Some of the games, new Dragon Quest, Call of Duty 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel, Trauma Center, Wii Sports, Blitz: The League and new Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles among a few.

They should all be out before Christmas.

Red Steel is going to suck... horribly, I guarantee it. Zelda and Metroid will be the system sellers, no doubt. Trauma Center will be cool, but a niche game. Wii Sports should be fun, if pretty ugly graphically. Still, the new Splinter Cell is supposed to be launching with the Wii, so that's one to add too.

Trauma Center, if it's anything like its DS counterpart, will be fun but also really stress-inducing and hard to play for long periods of time.

The Wii game I'm looking forward to the most is Smash Bros. Brawl, because... oh man, Smash Brothers. Totally my favorite game series.

Trauma Center, if it's anything like its DS counterpart, will be fun but also really stress-inducing and hard to play for long periods of time.

The Wii game I'm looking forward to the most is Smash Bros. Brawl, because... oh man, Smash Brothers. Totally my favorite game series.

Sonic versus Mario baby!

I dunno, the price is higher than I hoped. I was hoping for under $200... $250 would be decent, but $299 would be too much. Still, the novelty of the console itself has me intrigued enough to probably throw down the cash.

It might yet be lower than you expect. If anything the UK gets higher priced consoles than America so it might cheaper when comes round to announcing a price in $'s.

Case in point:

X-Box 360 on Amazon.com $400/£215

X-Box 360 on Amazon.co.uk £275/$513

Edited by King ROOOOOOOONEY!