Nintendo Wii

Benji

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember there used to be this accessory for some console (it actually might have been its own console, I forget) where you stood in like an octagon that was placed on the floor, and whatever you did, your character in the fighting game did - jumping, punching, kicking, etc. I'm pretty sure that flopped bigtime, so I really don't think Nintendo would try anything like that.

On (kind of) another topic, I think the interactivity of the Wii controllers is cool, and I'll probably try out a bunch of games with the motion sensors, but I'm pretty positive that after like one time I'm gonna switch to the "regular" controllers.

The one big thing with peripherals like that is that it needs developer support. If EA is onboard, then Nintendo is laughing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Nintendo Fusion Tour tonight and they had five Wii stations set up to try it out. Two of them had Wii Sports, one was set to the boxing game, the other was set to Bowling. They also had Wario Ware, Excite Truck and Duck Hunt set up. The latter two were on the side of the arena that was more crowded so I didn't get to see much of them. The bowling game looks like a fucking blast, can't wait to try that out, same with Wario Ware. Anyone familiar with Wario Ware on the GBA, the Wii is custom made for that series.

Now, since the lines were fucking HUGE, I only got to play one game, so I went with Boxing on Wii Sports. The nunchuck is your left had, the Wiimote is your right hand, the controls were responsive, but it was very hard to connect with accuracy. If you played Mocap Boxing in the arcades in recent years, it's a very similar feel, but it's going to take some getting used to in order to really figure the game out.

Obviously I didn't get a lot of time with it, but I'll try to answer any questions if you guys are curious.

Well, I think the most important question is whether it was actually fun or not. I mean, obviously it was just briefly playing one game and likely more figuring out the controls and all, but still.

It was way different. I can't imagine what it's going to be like playing an in-depth game like Zelda or Metroid, but for a pick up and play five minute game of Boxing? It's a blast. This will change the way many sports games are played, especially things like Bowling, Golf, or Billiards.

Would you buy it?

Yes. Hopefully the system gets some real support, but it just seems too unique to pass on for such a low price.

In your opinion based on your short time on it, would you say it is going to change the way we play games, or is it not going to catch on?

Too early to guess. I mean, people were all over it at the concert and everyone seemed to be having fun with it, but it was the Nintendo Fusion Tour. There were so many people there from Nintendo's street team whose sole job was to get people excited about the console and direct them towards it. But with that said, it could very easily change the way we play some games. I can't imagine playing GTA or MGS like that, but yeah, golf games, bowling games, boxing games, party games, rhythm games, first-person shooters, driving games, a lot of these genres could be drastically changed due to the Wii.

The Graphics...I heard people say they were about the same as gamecube. Is this true or do you believe they can truly pass off as "next-gen" calibur graphics?

Hard to tell. Of course all the set-ups were on top of the line televisions, but none of the games displayed were ones that are designed to be graphical showcases. Wii Sports, we all know looks like shit graphically, but it's a pack-in game designed to show off the system. WarioWare is a series of ridiculous mini games. From the short glimpses I got of ExciteTruck, it may have just been the TV, but it looked more crisp and clear than anything the GC could produce. It's going to take a side-by-side comparison of the Wii Metroid and the last Cube Metroid game to really be able to tell.

So what's everyone going to get on release? Wii Sports comes bundled over here, not sure about the other regions. I'm getting Zelda and Red Steel as my main two, and maybe Wii Play if I decide I want it closer to the time.

I don't think I'll have the money to get anything other than a Wii in and of itself with Wii Sports. But I'll probably get Twilight Princess as soon as possible, and possibly Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.