What music are you listening to?

Benji

Ryan Star - Songs From The Eye Of An Elephant

Good stuff. Mostly an entire album of just Star playing piano and singing with a couple of songs with drums tossed in and such. The ones I like the most are: "So Ordinary," "Losing Your Memory," and "Back Of Your Car."

Duke Ellington Presents - The Dollar Band Trio

Great little jazz CD. Similar sounds to some established songs at times - the opener, 'Dollar's Dance' has a bassline reminiscent of 'Mrs. Robinson', for example, but I forget the dates of both songs to claim which came first. Really good easy listening, toe tapping stuff.

8/10

my-chemical-romance-black-parade-$12075$180.jpg

9/10

I know, my review is totally ... like a few months late. And I know, I totally dug this CD when it first came out. Probably a 7 rating. But since it has come out, I've just listened to it a few times here and there. On my IPod, with friends, by myself. And you know what? This is top to bottom, one of the best CDs I've heard in a while. There isn't a bad song, with the exception of Famous Last Words, on this CD. I don't know, maybe its the incredibly sappy and cliché Cancer, or the Queen wanna-be Welcome To The Black Parade, or the downwright catchy Teenager. But this CD just doesn't get bad, it only gets great.

Fall Out Boy- Infinity On High

8/10

Fall Out Boy has gotten a lot of shit and I don't really see why. This is a pretty good album, its not as good as Under The Cork Tree but its still a good album. 'This Ain't A Scene' is probably one of the catchier songs from it, but not the best. With that being said, 'The Take Over, The Break's Over' is probably one of my favorite Fall Out Boy songs ever. A good album, and a good effort coming off of the success of Cork Tree. It didn't dissapoint, thats for sure.

Standout Tracks: 'The Take Over, The Break's Over', 'This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race', 'Thnks Fr Th Mmrs', 'The Carpal Tunnel Of Love'

6081.jpg

2/10

This CD is really only useful for two reasons: A) Jack White cameo in a disco tune, B) Gay Bar. Pretty much, this could have been an EP with three of the songs and we didn't need this to drag out an entire CD full of joke songs. Here is the thing - there are some joke bands who actually have more than a joke going for them. Junior Senior can make a damn fine dance tune, Turbonegro can rock out, and so forth. But really, at the end of the day, after listening to this CD, there isn't really anything good happening. It just seems like the band is milking a few unfunny jokes with a shitty CD full of awful songs. Why not phone up Junior Senior and ask them how to make hilarious music, but at the end same time, make it so rewarding.

200px-HeyHeyMyMyYoYo.jpg

9.5/10

Ok, so I haven't gave this disc a spin in a while. But I was chilling with my friends the other night, just sitting around having fun. And we wanted to listen to some killer tunes. I throw on Junior Senior, half expecting the interesting assortment of people to hate this music. Its clearly disposable dance music that should be despised. But instead, these guys get lauded all over. And you know what? Maybe this isn't a concept record about the war in Iraq (but rather has songs encouraging Big Foot to dance), or there isn't a twelve minute guitar solo (but rather, a half minute cowbell solo). But god damn, Junior Senior make music for the dance floor and they suceeded in every sense of the word.

Boo you for disliking Electric Six! How can you not like "STOP~!......CONTINUE~!" or "She's WHITE! White like the NIGHT!"?

Anyway...I listened to...Door, Door by The Boys Next Door.

It's interesting. For those of you who don't know, it was Nick Cave's band, pre-The Birthday Party, circa 1978-79. Prior to listening to the album, the only BND song I'd heard was "Shivers", which is a damn good ballad, but basically Bad Seeds-lite, and I expected much of the same. I was wrong. It's fairly standard new wave fare...think Nick Cave fronting Devo, and you're halfway there. Every now and then there's a flash of Roxy Music, or of Television, but for the most part, nothing too astounding. A couple of tracks highlight the bizarre time signatures and song structure that would eventually come to the foreground with The Birthday Party, but nothing quite as interesting, and the lyrics don't seem all that Nick Cave, either.

A solid album, but pretty much just a curio for fans of Dark Saint Nick.

Hahaha! Skummy, man, you totally remind me of my brother. When I told him I didn't like Electric Six, he was like "STOP.... CONTINUE!" too which I groaned. I should love this shit, its campy and its totally up my alley. I just can't get into it.

Stefani_061215090245518_wideweb__300x300.jpg

4/10

Why did I download... err.. rather... buy this? There is like three great songs and a handful of shitty other songs. Wind Me Up, the title track, and Yummy are the only that are worth even listening to. And Wind It Up is questionable. Its probably my undeniable love/lust for Pharrell that saves the track, but whatever. It gets a passing grade. It seems like at points, Gwen wants to be so different (Wind It Up), and in other points, wants to be different, but doesn't have the balls to do so (Orange County Girl). If one would take the best tracks from Love Angel Music Baby and The Sweet Escape, dare I'd say you'd have a tremendous CD. But it seems like on both outings, Gwen puts way too many disposable songs amongst some real gems. Lets be a little more selective next time and I definitely feel a home run in the near future. When its good, ITS great. When its bad (and this is often), its the drizzling shits.

Mark Lanegan & Isobell Campbell - Ballad Of The Broken Seas

I finally got round to listening to this last night, and again today, after having been excited about it since it was first announced, and I wasn't disappointed. I wasn't sure what to expect, as I couldn't really imagine either person singing the other's style, so it's good to see it's gone the more country route that Lanegan has been leaning towards lately, as Lanegan singing Belle & Sebastian, or Campbell singing hard rock, would have been fucking disastrous. That said, "(Do You Wanna) Come Walk With Me?" does seem to have an air of B&S twee-pop about it, which is a nice contrast with Lanegan's world-weary vocals. Solid little album, anyway, the only problem I can find with is that while the first time you hear Campbell's vocals overlapping with Lanegan's, singing something completely different, it's novel. Three or four tracks later, it gets annoying. That's only a minor concern, though.

Edited by Zeta (TAFKA Skummy)

Oasis - Stop The Clocks

Track Listing

Disk 1

Rock 'N' Roll Star

Some Might Say

Talk Tonight

Lyla

The Importance Of Bieng Idle

Wonderwall

Slide Away

Cigarettes & Alcohol

The Masterplan

Disk 2

Live Forever

Acquiesce

Supersonic

Half The World Away

Go Let It Out

Songbird

Morning Glory

Champagne Supernova

Don't Look Back In Anger

I've been an Oasis fan since I was 10 and was given "Morning Glory" for Chrismas. Every single song on the album is a great. Granted, I would have put Stop Crying Your Heart Out on instead of Songbird as the inclusion from the very wishy washy "Heathen Chemistry" but Songbird is a great little tune. The final two tracks (Champagne Supernova and Don't Look Back in Anger) are quite possibly the best two tracks Noel has ever written.

9.5/10

Edited by MGW

The Shins - Wincing The Night Away - 7.5/10

Not earth-shattering, but thankfully, The Shins know how to stay consistant with their music. It's good to know that the band hasn't attempted to go for something contrived with their first major album since their rise to fame in part due to Garden State. However, it does stand the risk again of you forgetting the album mere minutes after listening to it. Still, it's a simple, breezy record that manages to please the pretentious types like me. (>_>)

Black Market Hero - 5 Song CD Sampler

Pretty good stuff. A slightly different sound to 40 Below Summer, I guess, with there being more screaming on these than there is on 40 Below Summer's stuff. I guess Max just wanted to do something a little different to make it not an exact 40BS copy. The music, for the most part sounds mostly the same, but it only has the lead guitarist and lead singer as the same members in each band. It did have the bass player, but he left.

In order from best to worst of the five songs:

Hate Mail

Walking The Plank

How Long

Worship

3D

Muse- Black Holes and Revelations

9/10

I love this cd. I got it a few weeks ago after I suddenly got an interest in Muse, not sure why, and I haven't stopped listening since. I absolutely love the sound, they have a whole lot of catchy songs up here and its some of the best music I've heard all year from 2006.

Standout Tracks: Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight, Knights Of Cydonia

Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future

I was expecting mediocre things from this, to be honest. I have all the EPs, but I still didn't expect much. Turns out they're fans of proving me wrong. A truly great album, which has been in near-constant rotation with Neon Bible, which shows something. The only thing I don't get is how they get this whole 'nu-rave' tag. Bar 'From Atlantis To Interzone', there isn't any other songs, in my mind, which have anything near a 'ravey' quality to them. They're far too good to be at the forefront of some shit movement made to create NME cover features. I would recommend this album to...anyone actually. Not just fans of a certain genre. Plus it has an awesome, awesome cover of Grace's 'It's Not Over Yet'.

9.5/10

Edited by SSTB

Marazene - machiNation

Marazene is a generic industrial band... not a bad cd, there are a few good songs. with my favourite being "Give"...

5 out of 10

Spyder Baby - Let Us Prey

pretty good cd. a few awesome songs... including a cover of Ministry's "Everyday Is Halloween" which i prefer to the original... about half the songs are really good...

Edit:

after listening to this album more, its a 8.5 out of 10... its really good

Edited by Styk

Frizzle Fry - Primus

200px-Primus-Frizzle_Fry.jpg

One of my favorite albums in my collection and I listen to it almost daily now. The bass is amazing (as expected) and it's one of Primus' works where only Seas Of Cheese comes close in quality. "Too Many Puppies" and "Pudding Time" are my top two tracks although the other ones are also very good.

9/10