What music are you listening to?

Benji

Sigur Rós - Takk

9/10. Beautiful, amazing, and glorious from the first second to the last.

Senses Fail - Still Searching

6/10. Meh.

From First To Last - Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount

7/10. It's good, but having heard Heroine first, it just cowers in the shadow of it's successor.

The Legion Of Doom - Incorporated

8/10. I thought a bunch of 'emo' remixes would suck. Newsflash: they don't in the slightest.

Stars - Nightsongs

9/10. My favourite Stars album. It's just beautiful.

Stars - Heart

8/10. My second favourite Stars album. It's just excellent.

Stars - Set Yourself On Fire

7.5/10. My least favourite of the three Stars albums. It's not as good, but still better than most.

As Tall As Lions - As Tall As Lions

7/10. At first, it had me hooked. Then it lost me.

Sage Francis - Personal Journals

9/10. I love this album. I really do. Clever lyrics, unusual beats/samples. A great combination.

The Prize Fighter Inferno - My Brother's Blood Machine

7.5/10. Sometimes it's better than some Coheed. Sometimes it's not as good as any Coheed. Shouldn't really be compared, but it's inevitable.

Funkadelic - Funkadelic

8/10. Nice, well constructed, good instrumentation, and weird.

Daughers - Canada Songs

8/10. You have no choice but to pay attention. Not something I could listen to all the time though.

xLooking Forwardx - What This Means To Me

6/10. It just wasn't very good. Songs were too similar.

30 Seconds To Mars - 30 Seconds To Mars

7/10. Good, but nothing spectacular.

Converge - Jane Doe

8/10. It's like hardcore, black metal, punk and screamo had a little love child.

Klaxons - Gravity's Rainbow EP

8/10. I like it. What they're doing is pretty interesting to me.

There we go. I'll add more as I listen.

Wow, I didn't really listen to much of Sam Roberts - "Chemical City" when it came out, but wow, it is an AWESOME record. Every single track is quality, and it's such a technical step forward for him that it's hard to fathom.

Sean Lennon - Friendly Fire - 6.5/10

Yeah, so I listened to it on Beatnik's (when he was handed the CD by Ringo) recommendation and I think it's pretty good. I like the 80s style pop of it, a good contrast to the bland nature of normal pop and Lennon, while obviously not as brilliant a writer as his father, writes well-done songs. His voice takes a lot to get used to (it's actually oddly similar to AFI's lead singer Davey Havoc), but the lyrics and the music resonate enough for it to be an alright record. Not the best thing I've heard this year, but the son of Lennon isn't too bad at that musical thing after all.

The very best of Back to the Movies.

It's a mixture of a load of different song's from some of the best film's it's a three Cd set and is pretty good.

Just a few track's to note are-

Berlin- Take My Breath Away

Phil Collins- Agaisnt All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)

All Saints- Pure Shores

Ray Parker Jr- Ghostbusters

Simple Minds- Don't You (Forget About Me)

Huey Lewis and The News- The Power Of Love

Survivor- Eye Of The Tiger

Gorillaz- Feel Good

Ben E. King- Stand By Me

9/10

Horror High Presents Prom Queen Massacre

a collection of horror punk songs from a number of different bands and artists including Michale Graves, Zombeast, The Death Riders, Blitzkid, the 69 Eyes, Calabrese, Nim Vid, The Rosedales, the Vincent Black Shadow and more... There are a few songs that were "exclusive" to this CD, but a lot of the songs are available other places, overall its a fairly good collection.

Standout tracks... The Death Riders' "Karen Black" (only available on this CD), Zombeast's "Wolfskin Killer" (can't wait to get their debut album... it should be showing up within the next week), the 69 Eyes "Devils" and Calabrese's "Children of The Night"... i do also reccomend the Michale Graves song "Beware" (also on his "Punk Rock is Dead" album) and the Frankenstein Drag Queens from Planet 13/Wednesday 13 song "Scary Song" (off of "Night of the Living Drag Queens" & "6 Years 6 Feet Under the Influence")

On my last review I stated that I'd be doing "Flesh Eaters - A minute to pray, a second to die", but I don't feel like it. Instead I will be doing Nipple Erectors - Only the end of the begining.

Honestly, no reason for the last minute change, I just wasn't in the mood for Flesh Eaters right now. I figured the Nipple Erectors would be a good choice for all of you Pogues fans out there, as this was the punk band that Shane McGowan was involved with before the Pogues.

This is very good, under the radar 77 style punk, except less dirty or snotty than a lot of the other groups of this genre. Instead, the focus on their music seemed to stem from a rockabilly influence, which can be heard in the rhythm's and lyrical content. The only difference is that the music keeps a quicker tempo than the usual 50's style of rockabilly, the Nipple Erectors opt for the quicker beats in the punk vein. As I mentioned though, the themes in this music seem like an absolute throw back to the 1950s era which is a reason I absolutely love this. The album is half studio recording, and the other half is a surprisingly good quality live show. It gives you the best of both worlds in that regard.

I wont go as far as saying I enjoy this more than the Pogues, but this band does come damn close. It's two different styles of music really, so it depends on which side of the fence you'd fall on. Still, even if you might not be a fan of this style of music, but do enjoy the Pogues, it would be a worth while venture for those interested in seeing what Shane McGowan was up to before helping to create one of the greatest Irish influenced bands that ever existed.

Tracks for pleasure: King of the Bop, All the time in the world, Vengeance

Next Review: Billy Childish - Native American Sampler

Hurray, more Nips fans! I'm glad someone else likes King Of The Bop, most people I've spoken to don't like it that much, and reckon Private Eye is their best song, but King Of The Bop is far and away my favourite.

Bizarre and interesting sidenote, apparently post-Nips, but pre-Pogues, Shane MacGowan wanted to form a band inspired by Greek/Cretan music, in which half the band would dress as gladiators.

I'm surprised, it seems that I've encoutered the opposite, as most people I talk to really dig King of the Bop. Ah well, not everybody can have good taste like us Skummy. :shifty:

I'd have loved to have seen where MacGowan (apparently I spelled that wrong in my review) would have taken his Greek/Cretan influenced band. It's too bad he didn't go through with it, it would have been interesting. I also regret never watching this documentary about MacGowan that was on "On Demand" for quite awhile, I'm a fool.

Gary Jules - Trading Snakeoil for Wolftickets

Jules is such an awesome and palatable songwriter, so it's really fun, easy listening from start to finish. I like that "Mad World" is placed at the end, which lets the listener really appreciate his skills all the way through before they get to the most well known track. My favorites - "Broke Window", "Umbilical Town", "Unlucky", "No Poetry", "Mad World".

KRS-One - Life

KRS is awesome, but goddamn the guy needs some new producers. Most of his songs are pretty sparse and unimpressive apart from his mic skills, and in hip hop that just doesn't cut it. A few great tracks though - "Woke Up", "Mr. Percy", "I'm On the Mic", "Gimmie Da Gun", "I Ain't Leaving".

A huge backlogue of stuff I've heard over the past day or two, hopefully some will be reviewed in full on *site plug coming* ROC = RATINGS! I am shameless, I know.

Spoon - Gimme Fiction - 8/10

System of a Down - Mezmerize - 7/10

System of a Down - Hypnotize - 7/10

Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom - 6/10

Outkast - Idlewild - 6/10

Edited by Crazy Fucking RCOC

The Tragically Hip - World Container

It's not as good as some of their previous stuff, but still good. I consider The Hip, along with Sam Roberts and The Trews, to be really the torchbearers for Canadiana music, and they carry the torch well. This one has a track that should be a fucking hockey anthem, plus the single is so addictive. Favorite Tracks - "Yer Not the Ocean", "The Lonely End of the Rink", "In View", "The Kids Don't Get It", "The Drop Off", "Family Band".

post-139-1163372677_thumb.jpg

These guy are a local band from Columbus and the drummer who I know attends the college that go to Bowling Green State University, and that is how I heard about the band. They have a sound that I havent heard to much but from what I have heard I like the sound. If you are looking for something new give it a listen.

post-139-1163372677_thumb.jpg

Russian Circles - Enter

Holy fuck is this ever good. Builds up in all the right places, whilst being atmospheric in the right places too. Really like it.

8.5/10

Our Brother The Native - Tooth & Claw

A lot of the music I listen to is a bit 'weird'. This is too fucking weird for me though. WAY too fucking weird. Maybe it'll grow on me. Maybe I'll 'crack' it. For now though....

5.5/10

Various Artists - Colours Are Brighter

Man alive, I love this album. It's the perfect music to make you smile. Childrens songs done by indie bands. Awesomeness. Particularly recommend the track by The Divine Comedy.

8.5/10

Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City

Far better than Silent Alarm upon first listen. Real progression shown by the band as a whole, and a far better emphasis on songs, rather than singles, which is the air I got from their debut.

7.5/10

B000JJSRUM.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37410206_.jpg

Jay-Z - Kingdom Come - 5.5/10

It's hard to think of exactly what motivated Jay-Z to return to hip-hop. Hova's legacy (regardless of opinion on how talented he really is) is already etched and certainly money is hardly a problem for it. Perhaps a love for the game brings the rapper back for his latest CD, Kingdom Come. Unfortunately, he doesn't bring the normally sharp production typical of Jay's work and far too often, he panders to the crowd and instead of delivering something profound, goes for the single dollar. While pandering to the crowd is typical of Jay's records, the underwhelmingness of songs like "Show Me What You Got", "Hollywood", and "Anything" is not. The record's biggest weakness is that while there are good songs, fans of Hova expect so much more. They want another "99 Problems" or another "Dirt Off You Shoulder" and it seems Jay doesn't want to give it. Credit must be given to Jay for coming back to the game even after he was loaded enough to not have to, but Jay could do so much better than this.

Key Tracks: "Beach Chair", "Lost Ones", "Minority Report"