What music are you listening to?

Benji

44.jpg

(+44) When Your Heart Stops Beating

This as we all know is Mark Hoppus attempt to get away from his Blink 182 days. While it has the more poppy sound like we all know Blink 182 did in fact have, the album in itself is a great listen. Mark does a great job with the vocals, as I always considered him the better of the two anyway (Tom just sounds like a girl whining). Other than that the selection of tracks was done masterfully, and I cannot wait and see if there is in fact another (+44) album to come out because if its anything like this one, I am sure to buy it. Its hard to compare Angels and Airwaves to (+44) because there sounds are two totally different things. But I do like the sound that Mark and Travis made out of this record more so than I do Tom's efforts.

Best Tracks: Chapter XIII, No It Isn't, Lycanthrope.

Rating: 8.3/10

TENresized.jpg

The Early Novemeber The Mother, The Mechanic, The Path

This is by far one of Ace Ender's best bunch of songs written by him. The flow of music each CD of the three give out makes it probably one of the best releases of the year. They worked there asses off on this album and it has shown, Jeff finally showing that he can play a mean set of drums, Ace finally showing off his voice, and what not this album is probably their best effort to date. It was a long process the three disc masterpiece but in the end it was really worth it. My favorite disc is the Rock disc, because that is what I am use to of them. The third disc, the Path is the accumliation of the first two discs, with the whole story coming into play. While this disc should be a great movie, I didn't really care for it. The songs on there were alright, some seemed just thrown on there cause they wouldn't fit the other two discs, but other than that its a solid effort from the boys of Hammonton, New Jersey.

Best Tracks: 1,000 Times A Day, Decoration, Outside, Figure It Out, Money In His Hand

Rating: 8.7/10

Barefoot - A Tribute To Patti Smith

I've owned this for years, listened to it for the first time in a long while today, having listened to "Horses" by Patti Smith ad nauseum lately. I'm still not sure of it. For starters I haven't heard of any of the bands on the album, and I usually like to see at least one or two recognisables names on a tribute CD. Secondly...all the tracks apart from Swarf Sisters' take on "Piss Factory", which reminds me of Billy Bragg, although almost solely because of the guy's accent, and Brix Smith's "Rock 'N' Roll Nigger", which brings to mind early KMFDM or other such bands, sound EXACTLY like the originals. I'm not even talking about a straight cover, they're almost indistinguishable. With the exception of Swarf Sisters, every band they've chosen has a female vocalist, and every single one of them sings just like Patti Smith.

While it's a great listen, just because the music is fantastic, I think if I'd forked out anything more than the £3 I paid for this, I'd feel cheated. For the most part, I may as well be listening to a greatest hits album.

Guest Ringo Masterson

I agree with Steeb. I tend not to like this sort of stuff, but a friend made me listen to this in the car this morning and it was really good. I heard half the songs and it was quality.

Snoop's Tha Blue Carpet Treatment

Solid album. Snoop proves he can still do it, especially with tracks like Candy (Drippin' Like Water), Imagine, Conversations, and Vato. It does lack, though - none of the Akon tracks are great and That's That Shit with R. Kelly wasn't too good either.

8/10

The Game's Doctor's Advocate

Weakest album I've heard all year. It has maybe 3 or 4 solid tracks (Compton, California Vacation, Wouldn't Get Far & Let's Ride) but the rest was highly disappointing, especially given how good some of Game's mixtapes have been.

weaksauce/10

Gym Class Heroes' As Cruel As School Children

Probably going to wind up as my pick for any album of the year awards. Top notch from the beginning to end, it doesn't skip a beat and there isn't a single explicitly bad track on it! Could do without the skits, though.

9.5/10

Michale Graves - Return to Earth

I must say that this album is great. After my first listen i absolutely loved the album, and considering that his previous effort "Punk Rock Is Dead" left me unsure how i felt after the first few albums i was quite impressed. I'm not going to say its the best album of the year, but if you are a Graves fan you should definately pick this up. Stand out tracks: Nobody Cares About Me, Butchershop (was on the "import" version of Punk Rock is Dead... and also available as a free download off his myspace page), and pretty much all the other songs are good too... I dunno i'm a big fan of Michale Graves... so... 8 out of 10

Zombeast - Self titled

Zombeasts debut effort, and with both reviews i've seen being positive with one making the claim that "Singer Mario Montichello is far more Danzig than Danzig himself has been for a decade now, aping that booming baritone better than - dare I say - ANYONE..", i was really looking forward to this album... and it delivers. I love every song on this CD... It may not be for everybody, but i really enjoyed it. Stand Out Tracks: Flesh Eaters, Eternity, Wolfskin Killer... any song off the album is good (they also have a cover of the Misfit's Devilock availble as a free download on their myspace page...)

about an 9/10

Edited by Styk

• 2 weeks later...

"The suppersunnyspeedgraphic LP" by Ben Folds :

So yeah, it's basically redone old b-sides and rarities, most of which I've heard before. Still okay. Not up to the par of his previous two releases though, not by a mile. I can't really be arsed to go into detail. 6/10

BEST SONGS : In Between Days, Songs Of Love, Dog, Bitches Ain't Shit, All U Can Eat

Edited by Steve Mandela

B000JBXXZ4.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V35540414_.jpg

Incubus - Light Grenades - 7.5/10

I don't buy into the pre-album hype that this is the best CD the band has done, but it's definitely got it's solid parts. The first three tracks ("Quicksand", "A Kiss to Send Us Off", "Dig") are pretty weak, but the rest of the album, including "Diamonds and Coal" and "Oil and Water" are beaitfully done, and the other tracks are well written and consistantly brilliant. Not Incubus's best, but the band goes 4-for-4 since turning into a major rock band.

See, I disagree. I think Light Grenades IS the best CD they've ever done. Not only that, but Dig is one of the best tracks on it, for me. I'm planning on doing a more indepth review of it sometime this week, so I won't go into immense detail here, but lets just say that it's my second favourite CD of the year.

See, I disagree. I think Light Grenades IS the best CD they've ever done. Not only that, but Dig is one of the best tracks on it, for me. I'm planning on doing a more indepth review of it sometime this week, so I won't go into immense detail here, but lets just say that it's my second favourite CD of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Bourbon Crow - Highway to Hangovers

Ok so Bourbon Crow is actually Wednesday 13 and his former band member Kid Kid... and well its nothing like Wednesday 13 has done before. Bourbon Crow is an outlaw country CD that they released as a tribute to the music that they grew up listening to. Not being a style of music that I normally listen to I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm pretty much the type of person who will buy everything from an artist I like which is how I ended up with this CD... I think this CD will grow on me, but for the time being i'm not going to give a score.

Jim Jones - A Dipset Xmas

Very good CD, but I'm pretty partial towards JJ, and a Dipset christmas cd, thats just awesome

John Legend - Once Again

Amazing cd, great to fuck your gf/wife to, the beats and the lyrics are so amazing, it just turns her on

Clipse - "Hell Hath No Fury" - 8/10

So fucking solid. Some people are sucking their dick a bit too much, but great production, great lyrics, great delivery. One of the 5 best rap albums of the year.

Best Tracks - Everything but "Nightmares".

Clipse - "Hell Hath No Fury" - 8/10

So fucking solid. Some people are sucking their dick a bit too much, but great production, great lyrics, great delivery. One of the 5 best rap albums of the year.

Best Tracks - Everything but "Nightmares".

Flogging Molly- Whiskey On A Sunday

8/10

Its only 10 tracks, but I still like it. Its got mainly acoustic and live versions of their songs and a new recording of Laura I believe, but its still really good. I just got Within A Mile Of Home too so that might be up here in a little bit.

Silent Civilian - Rebirth Of The Temple - 9/10

This is an excellent CD and might even be better than the lead singers former band, Spineshank. Spineshank is one of my all time favorites, but this just might top it for it is excellent all the way through. Not a single bad song. I like that the length of the songs are all quite long compared to most stuff these days. Seven of the thirteen tracks are 5 five minutes or longer (longest being 7:32). The shortest is the intro (1:26), but not counting that it is a 3:10 song.

It starts off with a pretty cool intro, "A Call to Arms" and then track two, "Funeral" starts off real heavy.

Another thing they seem to do is solos which not many do these days either.

Favorite tracks: Funeral, The Song Remains Un-Named, Rebirth Of The Temple, and Live Again.

So, if you like Spineshank or whatever, you will most likely enjoy this.