What music are you listening to?

Benji

I heard Post-Nothing once; I don't remember a thing from it. Maybe I should check it out again.

You get their thing pretty quick but they're pretty good at it, so.

Also heard True Widow's As High as the Highest Heavens and so on and so forth, really good album. Not sure who I'd compare it to straight off, real lay-back stonery stuff.

If "grunge" was an actual genre and not just a magazine buzzword, it would not be Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Stone Temple Pilots, or Pearl Jam. It would be Tad. Tad are killer.

That's how you tell who really knew what was going on Seattle versus the people that tried to piggyback off of it. Members of almost every band you listed sung the praises of Tad every chance they got. Tad was the grunge band's grunge band, to mangle a phrase.

I grabbed Dust Bowl Ballads because I saw the song about Tom Joad. I love John Steinbeck and it immediately caught my eye that Woody Guthrie had wrote a song about the lead character in "Grapes of Wrath". Today was the first time that I heard this Part 1 and 2 of this song and I have immediately fallen in love with it. Woody has a great voice and is a great song writer. Not sure how I describe this song, there's words I'd like to put to it but I can't really figure it out. Heartfelt and sad maybe? I don't know, I'm shit with describing anything. If I saw a black cat I'd probably tell somebody it was a yellow dog.

I've honestly never been a big country or folk guy, but this is just fucking brilliant shit.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I listened to Jeff Buckley's Grace for the first time ever last week, and it was pretty good, very solo Chris Cornell-ish (they were friends, yes?). I probably won't listen to it again for a long time because I generally don't really listen to that kind of music any more.

As with Tad, whilst I agree with you about their inclusion in the grunge word, I don't know, I just can't get into them. I think it's too... abrasive for me. I don't know, I don't like his voice, I guess.

Anyway, speaking of more grunge (sort of), I've listened to Pearl Jam's new album "Lightning Bolt" on Goolge Music All Access a few times now and I quite enjoy it, enjoyed it enough to buy the CD. Infallible is my definite favourite.

Pearl Jam are far from my favourite grunge band, Soundgarden and Nirvana are top two by miles, but I tend to find I'm not into the more punk type grunge bands like Tad or Mudhoney (although I do quite like Mudhoney). I prefer the big sound and riffs of the main four.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUxMlud0Xg

I've recently started enjoying some Moody Blues. Obviously, I've always known who they were, my folks listened to them when I was a kid so I remember them. Anyway, I've been trying to find this song for the last year now. I knew the chorus and everything but for the life of me could not figure out who the song was by. I always remember hearing it as a kid and I assumed it was probably Jethro Tull or Gentle Giant (both are well known prog-rock bands similar to the Moody Blues). As it turns out, I found the song listening to SiriusXM. The Moody Blues came on the station I was listening to and I thought "Hell, I'd like to hear more by them", and sure as shit the song I've been trying to figure out was there. This one.

There are still a whole bunch of heavyweight stragglers from earlier this year that I still haven't listened to. I have a real bad tendency to constantly find and listen to new music, both newly released and old, and then I also constantly bombarded with stuff from friends who are just as enthusiastic about tunes as I am. And with me having a busy school, private and social life, I haven't found much time to actually sit down and properly listen to albums. But enough excuses, hopefully I can zone in on a more concentrated effort now that the year is about to end.

Anyways, yeah, really digging a whole lot of house music lately; especially deep house and future garage. Stuff like Duke Dumont, Deadboy, Joy Orbison, Lando Kal and, of course, Disclosure and Ian Pooley. I have also delved into the likes of Todd Terje, a Norwegian gentleman who produces a funkier and more disco-oriented side of deep and minimal house music. His work with Lindstrøm is awesome; I mean, just listen to "Lanzarote", a track they released earlier this year. Also, "Inspector Norse", a Terje solo track from last year; just lovely.

The list is as follows.

Debuted
AlunaGeorge - Body Music
André D./Henner Gräf/Christophe Meulien/Frank Wilke - Les avantages d'une haie de troènes
Anamanaguchi - Endless Fantasy
Avicii - True
Daftside - Random Access Memories Memories
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Ian Pooley - What I Do
Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2
Tricky - False Idols

Upcoming
Bombino - Nomad
Chase & Status - Brand New Machine
Dialekten - Stiplede Linjer
Everything is Made in China - Amber
Joey Bada$$ - Summer Knights
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
October Falls - The Plague of a Coming Age

Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonie
Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
R.A. The Rugged Man - Legends Never Die
The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Top Ten
1. Helen Money - Arriving Angels
2. Redwood Hill - Descender
3. Det Nopsus - Det Nopsus
4. Disclosure - Settle
5. Kvelertak - Meir
6. Shining - One One One
7. Iceage - You're Nothing
8. Humanfly - Awesome Science
9. Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
10. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels

The Great
11. Boris - Präparat
12. Ian Pooley - What I Do
13. Shugo Tokumaru - In Focus?
14. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
15. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
16. Peer Group - Brutalist Sketches in the Style of Water-Stained Concrete
17. Daftside - Random Access Memories Memories
18. A$AP Rocky - LONG.LIVE.A$AP
19. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
20. Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
21. Tricky - False Idols
22. James Blake - Overgrown
23. Deafheaven - Sunbather
24. Kavinsky - OutRun
25. Thundercat - Apocalypse
26. Charles Bradley - Victim Of Love
27. Wormed - Exodromos
28. David Bowie - The Next Day

The Good
29. Avicii - True
30. plök - Infolympics
31. Various Artists - Think and Change
32. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
33. aivi & surasshu - The Black Box
34. The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer
35. AlunaGeorge - Body Music
36. Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
37. Mountains - Centralia
38. Cult of Luna - Vertikal
39. A$AP Ferg - Trap Lord
40. Alberich - Guard Tower: Cassette Works, Vol. 1
41. Alberich - Fortification: Cassette Works, Vol. 2
42. Tomahawk - Oddfellows
43. Woodkid - The Golden Age

The Alright
44. Suuns - Images Du Futur
45. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2
46. Gold Panda - Half of Where You Are
47. inc. - No World
48. Dirty Knobs - A Disenchanted Snake
49. André D./Henner Gräf/Christophe Meulien/Frank Wilke - Les avantages d'une haie de troènes
50. Otis Taylor - My World Is Gone
51. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
52. David Lynch - The Big Dream
53. Snoop Lion - Reincarnated

Ech, No More
54. Vinnie Who - Midnight Special
55. Nosaj Thing - Home
56. Foals - Holy Fire
57. Portal - Vexovoid
58. Emancipator - Dusk to Dawn

• Like 1