If you were/are in a band....

Liam

My band covers the following songs:

"Twist Of Cain" by Danzig

"Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

"For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Metallica

"867-5309 (Jenny)" by Tommy Tutone

"Paranoid" by Black Sabbath

And we're learning a few more. Nothing better than a surprise cover tune during a live performance to liven up the crowd.

I was going to make this exact thread soon. Good call Liam. Good call.

I'd love to hear some thrash covers of Beasties stuff, maybe a Run-Dmc Track. That would rock. Also an Alice Cooper cover is needed, Loves A Loaded Gun maybe, or Feed My Frankenstein. Hmmm, this is fun. Everyone covers the Misfits at some point, I'd like to do Bullet, or Bruiser for new Misfits. I wonder if anyone could pull of a thrash, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, that would be hardcore. I don't think anyone could do a Rage Against the Machine cover justice, but I'd like to hear someone try.

I'd just do metal covers of rap songs.

Thrash version of Snoop Dogg's Gin & Juice > *

That and lots of Misfits covers. And Kill Hannah's Kennedy.

I can't get enough of heavy/death metal covers of 80's pop songs, so I'd have to whip some of them out.

Duran Duran "Rio" being an obvious candidate, along with Talking Heads "Psycho Killer", maybe even The Smiths "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"

I'd like to "prog-out" a some kinda random pop song with a big melodic interlude, but can't think of any decent candidates.

And just some Depeche Mode songs, because I could.

I was one in a long defunct 'band' back in my school years, and we covered;

"Beautiful Day" by U2

"You Only Get What You Give" by The New Radicals

"Last Nite" by The Strokes

"Dressed To Kill" by New Found Glory

and a couple of other NFG songs. Half of the band had a pure 'fetish' for them.

We sucked so bad. :shifty:

I also one got bored one day and started a borderline techno cover of "Touch Of Red" by In Flames. I lost it when my hard drive failed. Vocally it'd never worked anyway.

As a hypothetical artist, I'd love to do acoustic based, piano/acosutic guitar covers of stuff. Music stripped to 'simplicity', beautiful on the ear. Naturally I'd go for stuff I listen to. However the things I'd get the most 'contrast' with. Specific examples...I'm drawing a total blank. :shifty: There'd be some Strung Out in there.

Oh yeah. Acoustic-Piano covers of dance music. It'd be awesome.

Edited by Steve Mandela

My old band covered

'Basket Case' by Green Day

'Otherside' by RHCP

'Scar Tissue' by RHCP

'Teenage Kicks' by The Undertones and

'Rape Me' by Nirvana

Can't you just tell we were young, dumb and full of very little? :shifty:

However, as a hypothetical artist, I'd love to do a spoken word cover of Inherited Scars by Sage Francis, and a more electronic cover of How To Disappear Completely by Radiohead. Then I'd throw in some other (straight) covers, like Almost Crimes by Broken Social Scene, Animal by Pearl Jam and Catholic School Girls Rule by RHCP.

my friend's band, whom are a little bit on the emo side are covering "Can't Stand Me Now" by the Libertines at their next gig for the lead singer's girlfriend. I've heard them practice it, and it sounds pretty awesome. Imagine someone like Thursday or Taking Back Sunday covering it, works surprisingly well!

I'd like to make weird avant garde electro remixes of "London Calling" by The Clash.

I'd also love to be in a ska/two tone band and remix "No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley and lighten up something grungy like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana or "Where Is My Mind" by Pixies...

Me and my friends wanna start a disco/dance band who covers Metal songs. Enter Sandman, Iron Man, I Am The Law and probably some more modern stuff from System of a Down, Limp Bizkit, stuff like that.

I wrote a Power Metal Ballad version of My Heart Will Go On, which will be an extra should we ever release an actual album. Also, as soon as Keith mentioned Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay, I jumped onto Guitar Pro immediately and made it so. Otis Redding + Distorted Guitars + Blast-Beat Drumming = Fantastic. I intend on covering that, too.

Isn't "Can't Stand Me Now" a cover anyway? Originally recorded by The Jam?

No.

I'd love to do an early Sisters Of Mercy-esque version of "With Or Without You" by U2. It's just begging for it.

The band I'm actually in plays a lot of fairly straight folk covers, but we also do a version of Nina Simone's "Be My Husband" in the style of Rain Dogs-era Tom Waits, a vaguely reggae cover of "Cemetry Polka" by Tom Waits, and a garage rock-ish version of "Death Letter" by Son House