So.. how bad do you want a Playstation 3?

Only In Dreams

I keep hearing the "no life" thing, but you gotta remember, a lot of these are parents who "need" it for Christmas. I'd be willing to be the extreme cases are a result of those people. People got trampled and assaulted for Tickle Me Elmo years ago and Cabbage Patch Kids way back in the day, some parents go crazy. Of course if you had to stab someone to keep your little bastard child from throwing a fit on Christmas morning, you'd probably think about it too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, a cheap blu-ray player that will likely crap out like the PS2's cheap DVD players usually did. Every PS2 I've ever personally encountered (from my own to the ones my friends have) either won't play DVDs at all, won't play blue bottom discs, won't play DVDs with any scratches, or just won't play anything that goes into the drive period. Mine personally won't properly play any DVD movie with even the lightest surface scratch. Wow, talk about a quality product. :thumbsdown:

Now I'll admit 50GB of storage is all great and wonderful, it's even more great and wonderful when Sony start releasing games like Gran Turismo HD with hardly anything on the disc to begin with, instead focusing on saving the majority of the game onto the HDD (which has reportedly been filling up rather quickly).

Aside from the Blu-Ray disc debate I thought I'd throw another little interesting tidbit in here about the damn things heating issues. Two of my buddies went in and actually got a console (they sadly didn't notice the PS3 kiosks were dead from overheating until after the purchase). Anyways, they both brought their consoles home and no more than three hours later both systems let out a beep, and turned off. They tried getting it to turn back on to no avail. Only about ten minutes ago I was talking to one on MSN and he said the system was dead.

I understand that launch systems usually have problems (minus Nintendo) but THREE fucking HOURS?! That's insane. If I pay $800 (cost of the system + game in CDN dollars) I want the fucking thing to last me at least three fucking years. All this talk about the PS3 being a "computer" is utter bullshit. Computers can at least rid themselves of their excess heat and be left running for weeks without problems.

Anyway I'm kind of ranting. The whole PS3 situation is sort of getting my goat. Hopefully they'll get the thing working properly in a few years when I expect there'll be enough good games to urge me to purchase.

No, blue ray is useless because there's just no point to having 50GB worth of space when no game can possibly even come close to that amount. Maybe if somebody started working on a game now, with around several hundred hours of gameplay, including several full length movies thrown in, to be released only after the PS4 comes out...you still won't fill that much space up.

Consider then, the average game, and you realize that you're paying a whole lot of cash for a bunch of unused space.

No, blue ray is useless because there's just no point to having 50GB worth of space when no game can possibly even come close to that amount. Maybe if somebody started working on a game now, with around several hundred hours of gameplay, including several full length movies thrown in, to be released only after the PS4 comes out...you still won't fill that much space up.

Consider then, the average game, and you realize that you're paying a whole lot of cash for a bunch of unused space.

That's pretty much why I'm anti-Blue-Ray. Plus, its not exactly a great selling point when we don't know whether Blue-Ray or HD-DVD will be the future. If HD-DVD becomes more popular, Blue-Ray won't mean jack shit.

And for the record, regarding Drifer_2000's comments about PS2s and different disk formats not working:

The only DVD players I have at all are my PS2 (which is hooked up to a tv that is only used for my PS2 - its not hooked up to receive tv stations) and the one on my computer. I usually use the PS2 instead of the computer to watch DVDs (however, I only watch stuff I've burned to a CD on the computer) and I've never had a problem with it playing any type of disks that its supposed to in all the time I've had it, which is about 4 years or so.

The only DVD players I have at all are my PS2 (which is hooked up to a tv that is only used for my PS2 - its not hooked up to receive tv stations) and the one on my computer. I usually use the PS2 instead of the computer to watch DVDs (however, I only watch stuff I've burned to a CD on the computer) and I've never had a problem with it playing any type of disks that its supposed to in all the time I've had it, which is about 4 years or so.

I don't think I'll even be getting a PS3. The only games on the PS2 that I wanted and couldn't get on the GC or Xbox were the GTA/Manhunt games, and SmackDown vs RAW. But now the 360 gets both, with downloadable content for the 360 GTA 4. I literally have no need for a PS3, at all. I want a Wii though. The order I buy my consoles is weird.

I got a Playsation. THEN an N64. Much preferred the N64. I got a GC, THEN a PS2. THEN an Xbox, and much preferred the Xbox. Now I have a 360, will probably get a Wii. But I can't see myself losing interest in the 360. There's just constant appeal so far, and there's nothing really special on the other consoles that I'd die if I couldn't have. I'm not a fan of the Zelda games, the new Mario game looks very odd. I'll probably get a DS before I get a Wii, for somewhat obvious reasons *cough* Pokemon Diamond *cough*.

Can anyone think of Sony franchises I might like? I can't think of ANY. Including Metal Gear Solid.

Can anyone think of Sony franchises I might like? I can't think of ANY. Including Metal Gear Solid.

Which is likely being ported over to the 360 anyway.

But in the interest of fairness, Sony does have a lock on Tekken and Virtua Fighter if you're into fighting games. The God of War series is theirs as well and the third is obviously going to be on the PS3. Twisted Metal is the reason I first bought a PS2 and we wound up only getting one game for it, which really pissed me off, hopefully the PS3 will get a couple games in the franchise. Final Fantasy if you're into RPGs. Devil May Cry is a Sony exclusive - unless of course the rumors are true and Microsoft winds up buying Capcom. Really, that's about it though.

I say, if you're only going to get one game system this generation, and you want to make sure that you'll have access to the best games, do yourself a favor and wait a little bit to see how the situation plays out.

Right now Sony doesn't seem to have any exclusive titles that are worth a damn, but it's possible that they will buy the rights to some good games. It's also possible that they'll lose the rights to some games as Microsoft buys the companies/and or signs exclusive deals. While it's nice to own a console around launch time and thus have the full lifetime of the console to enjoy it without it being a number 2 console, it's sometimes better to wait and see how things start developing before jumping on a certain console, in my opinion.

But, it's your money, and you're always free to do what you want with it. For my money, I'll be waiting to see how things start to shape up.

For me I will be getting a PS3. Just for many of its features like the PS2 and PS1 compatibility and PSP/PS3 features... But after this generation of consoles I will probably switch to a new system unless the PS4 is amazing.

For the PS3 I am looking forward to MGS4 (One of my top three game series), FFXIII, DMC4, GOW3 (probably will be on PS3), KH3 (probably will be on PS3 and also in my top 3 game series) and AC (because that game looks sick) and many more games that I have forgotten to name.

I've dealt with the reliabilty problems in regards to the DVD drives on the PS2. Mine would be very erratic, playing a game or movie one day and then not playing it the next. I got an XBOX near launch, and after 2 years the same thing started to happen.

My 360 so far has had no problems what-so-ever over the 6 months I have owned it.