Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

ONO

The movie will be nothing if they don't have Mrs. Weasley's final line when killing Bellatrix.

Wrong. Both Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix were PG-13, and the final two will follow.

How is he wrong >_>?

And I agree, that final line is needed. But the movies will probably be awful anyways.

Out of interest, who is everybody's all-time favourite character from throughout the 7 books?

Mine would be Luna, she seemed like a really cool, eccentric person throughout, and i know she was only in three books, but she played what i think is a significant part in each of them.

My favorite characters in the HP series probably go as such, in no distinct order; Luna, Snape, Fred and George, Lee Jordan, and... uh. I'm sure there are more, but I can't really think of them right now.

Anyway, some observations on the book, now that I've finished it:

- It was awfully nice of Lupin to follow tradition with the rest of the Marauders, excluding James, and have an incredibly anticlimactic death. Seriously, what the hell was that supposed to be? Though I wasn't really particularly fond of how most of the deaths were written in book seven with the exceptions of Fred, Bellatrix, and I suppose Dobby (Snape's death had a purpose but after all that hype and build-up, he more or less just sort of dies after sucking up to Voldemort a lot? Lame). Moody's death was good for what it was intended as, though.

- Someone on another board pointed out that it made no sense that they HAD to wear the Horcrux locket when there was that Bag of Holding of Hermione's. I'm inclined to agree, really; I suppose Rowling felt there needed to be an excuse for Ron turning on Harry for like the seventh or eighth time.

- Neville Longbottom is a badass. His evolution as a character may have been one of the best things in the entire series and if ever I make the decision to reread it I'm probably going to keep an eye out for hints towards that a lot.

- Oh Crabbe. Poor, stupid Crabbe. I always liked you more than Goyle, I did.

- Also, Dudley's sudden, random burst of character development was surprising in a good way. I would have liked to know what happened to him post-timeskip.

- Y'know, it really would have been nice to see at least one or two Slytherins in the actual Battle for Hogwarts aside from Slughorn; one of the biggest failings of Rowling's, in my opinion, was how poorly she wrote Slytherin as a house. Really, why would they even have Slytherin anymore at this point? As far as I can tell, only two people have come out of Slytherin who weren't complete lowlifes, and Slughorn is a suck-up whereas Snape only seemed to do what he did out of love for Lily, not because he was morally opposed to it.

I'm also a little interested by J.K. Rowling's assertion that "two main characters will die" before the book was released, because I have to wonder whom she meant. I suppose Snape and Voldemort, or something? But then, everyone knew Voldemort had to die, and odds were on Snape dying as well. I suppose she didn't think that Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Moody, or Hedwig really counted, or somesuch.

Also, they damn well better have Molly Weasley's line directed at Bellatrix in the movie. That was a fantastic moment, right there.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

- Someone on another board pointed out that it made no sense that they HAD to wear the Horcrux locket when there was that Bag of Holding of Hermione's. I'm inclined to agree, really; I suppose Rowling felt there needed to be an excuse for Ron turning on Harry for like the seventh or eighth time.

Thanks for that, relevant-information-fairy.

Ron has now turned on Harry so many times it makes my head spin. Those two need Oprah.

And ironically, even in death Albus Dumbledore manages to have more to do than Tonks, Kinglsey, Moody and Lupin combined. What an Order they are.

Plus, Moody's death is awesome for the line "he got hit in the face with the Killing Curse" or whatever it was. It's bad enough if it hits your toe. YOUR FACE?!

And ironically, even in death Albus Dumbledore manages to have more to do than Tonks, Kinglsey, Moody and Lupin combined. What an Order they are.

Dumbledore is clearly the preptime king of the Harry Potter world. Pretty much everyone was just following the roles he had plotted out for them. Hell, not even Snape knew everything that was going on.

Plus, Moody's death is awesome for the line "he got hit in the face with the Killing Curse" or whatever it was. It's bad enough if it hits your toe. YOUR FACE?!

Yeah, Moody's death was marvelously "... oh shit, now what?" I was expecting one of the other characters to die in that scene, not Moody, but when it came down to Bill, Fleur, Moody, and Mundungus I was like "oh hell."

If only Voldemort was more sassy, he could've taunted the Order later by saying "remember Moody? I cursed his fucking face off, I did."

I'd have prepared it if he had kept Moody's eye and then held it up to his eye, taking the piss pretending to by Moody infront of Harry, not THAT would have been good.

I kind of liked having Moody's eye being in the middle of Umbridge's door, though, because dear god what an amazingly, fantastically evil and fucked-up thing to do.

Oh, also, Luna immediately recognizing Harry despite the Polyjuice Potion at the wedding was fantastic. I forgot to mention that.

I had a thought the other day regarding Bellatrix's death. It obviously parallels Sirius' death in Order of the Phoenix, even to the point where there's a line that states that Harry knew what was about to happen before it did. In both OotP and Deathly Hallows, it's an unnamed curse that kills them. In the movie of OotP, though, Bellatrix uses Avada Kedavra on Sirius to kill him before he falls through the veil. Does this mean we're going to see Molly Weasley use Avada Kedavra on Bellatrix in the movie version of Deathly Hallows? If I'm not mistaken, if that happens it'll have been the first time a good character has used that curse.

Not the best, but I definitely thought "Oh shit. Things are about to fuckin' pick up." and then they went camping. *Shrug*. Should've been all killing from there on, not really before. 'Cept for Mad Eye, his was finely done.

I had a thought the other day regarding Bellatrix's death. It obviously parallels Sirius' death in Order of the Phoenix, even to the point where there's a line that states that Harry knew what was about to happen before it did. In both OotP and Deathly Hallows, it's an unnamed curse that kills them. In the movie of OotP, though, Bellatrix uses Avada Kedavra on Sirius to kill him before he falls through the veil. Does this mean we're going to see Molly Weasley use Avada Kedavra on Bellatrix in the movie version of Deathly Hallows? If I'm not mistaken, if that happens it'll have been the first time a good character has used that curse.

Did she? I can't remember all that well, but I thought the curse that hit Sirius was a stream of red light. I'm not going back to the theatres to check that out, so I'll have to take your word for it.

She wasn't particularly loud with it, and it didn't wrap around him and send him flying like it did with Cedric in Goblet of Fire, but it was definitely Avada Kedavra and a green streak of light. Wikipedia agrees with me:

Sirius gets hit by the killing curse then falls backwards through the Veil and disappears.

Found it here.

Once again Biggzy, you're reading stuff wrong.

I don't mean have all the killings right then and there, but from that moment is when the killings should have happened. Not really before, after the ministry had fallen.

Did she? I can't remember all that well, but I thought the curse that hit Sirius was a stream of red light. I'm not going back to the theatres to check that out, so I'll have to take your word for it.

I always thought that it wasn't the curse that killed Sirius, but rather him falling into the veil that killed him.

That's what happens in the book. In the film he's hit with Avada Kedavra, which kills people, then falls into the veil. So he may have died by either, and maybe it was a weaker Avada Kedavra than most others that hit him, which would explain the lack of flashiness.