Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

ONO

Harry Potter is completely gay.

Nothing saddens me more than being on the tube or a train and seeing a grown man in a suit with a briefcase reading a Harry Potter. Grow up.

You're writing this on a message board devoted mostly to fantasy wrestling scenarios. You'll find many of the members here like Pokemon, watch Cartoons or play video games. Who are you to say what people should or shouldn't be able to do? What people should and shouldn't be able to read? The HP books are entertaining escapes from reality, if you think yourself too 'mature' for that than fine, but no need to go bagging other people about it.

I agree with something Zaz and Misanthrope said.......people reading the book doesn't bother me, but what does is the fact that they really aren't any better than a lot of other books out there. After the first or second book, the marketing team got rolling and that was the end of that really. Rowling is a weak writer with some decent ideas, powered along by an excellent marketing team and excacerbated by the media themselves.

It just worries me that people may actually consider this the pinnacle of modern day books...

Oh, and

That none of the main 3 characters died is seriously weak......
Edited by Liam Byrne

Also, which year is the seventh book based in?

I'd assume 7 years after the first book set in 97 (i think), so the final book would be set in 2004. Although Rowlings references to popular culture (such as Dudleys playstation, then a few years later his PS2) seem to show that that idea is slightly flawed (time difference between the two suggests that it could be set between 97 and 99).

Then again she also uses genetic phrases like the Prime Minister to make general statements as if to say it could be set in any time, seriously if she wanted it to be a timeless then she'd have removed most product names or whatever

Oh well i'm probably looking too much into it, i guess it doesn't matter what year its based in

I agree on the deaths thing. I really enjoyed the book, but what annoyed & disappointed me most was the aftermath that didnt seem to exist. I really wanted to know what happened to George after Fred was killed, but...nothing. That was a bit shit too "And then...Fred died." It was just like "Oh, Fred, Lupin, Tonks & Colin Creevey (!?!?!?) all died in battle." And that was that for them.

And yeah, the deathdates of James & Lily told us that this book was set in 1997-1998

I just finished it and I have no complains at all. I´ed even say it’s the best book and I don’t share the criticism on who died/did not die.

As for the three main characters, of cause they are alive, just look at the history of this story, she thought of it because she wanted a bedtime story for her child, great idea to kill of the hero’s in the end, I am lucky you guys are not my parents – gruesome bastards :-p

The ending, Guys, it´s a big battle, 50 people died, it´s like that in war – there is no time to care about everyone, that’s what makes it horrible. As for Fred and George, it’s a book about Harry, it always was only about what he lived and experienced, it barely ever moved away from that. The end had all the important persons that always were around him, I don’t see a need for 100 extra pages to describe everybody’s fate, this is not Lord of the Rings, this is Harry Potter. That’s just not the style of the storytelling in this series.

As for the time it is set in,

I did not take notes but I am pretty shure it was said in Book Seven that the attract by Voldy that scared Harry took place in 1981.
Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

The only death that really really irked me was Lupin's. Like with Sirius and Dumbledore's deaths they were built up and everything but then it comes to Remus and we just got..."oh no Remus is lying dead on a table. Like fuck off and tell us how he died atleast. The books have gone from having too little cut out to too much being cut out.

Out of interest, who is everybody's all-time favourite character from throughout the 7 books?

Mine would be Luna, she seemed like a really cool, eccentric person throughout, and i know she was only in three books, but she played what i think is a significant part in each of them.

The only death that really really irked me was Lupin's. Like with Sirius and Dumbledore's deaths they were built up and everything but then it comes to Remus and we just got..."oh no Remus is lying dead on a table. Like fuck off and tell us how he died atleast. The books have gone from having too little cut out to too much being cut out.
Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Out of interest, who is everybody's all-time favourite character from throughout the 7 books?

Mine would be Luna, she seemed like a really cool, eccentric person throughout, and i know she was only in three books, but she played what i think is a significant part in each of them.