Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

ONO

The epilogue there was just a huge wankfest for the fanboys and girls. 'Harry married Ginny! Ron married Hermione! WANK WANK WANK'. Couldn't she at least gone into a little more detail about the immediate aftermath rather than just the one throwaway line? I mean, the whole 7 books have been working to this point (of Harry vanquishing Voldemort) and she spends arse-all time saying what happened after.

Also, Rowling. Short sentences create tension! This only happened like once, with 'THE MINISTRY HAS FALLEN. SCRIMGEOUR IS DEAD. THEY ARE COMING.' One of the best things I've ever read in a book, but then every other sentence has like 3 commas and a hyphen or two in it. Quite a few of the sentences were poorly structured and I seem to remember a couple of typo's, so maybe they rushed it to get it ready for the July release? That could also explain why there was nothing about the immediate aftermath.

Also, she should learn how to write character's deaths and make it more epic (this goes for everything else too). Dobby's was okay, but everyone elses was just 'Oh, look, Lupin/Tonks/whoever is dead' and then a page or two later 'Harry's heart ached for Lupin/Tonks/whoever'. Again, short sentences. The same could be said for the Hermione/Ron kiss. It's been hyped up for ages and then it's just 'lol, they kissed. WANK WANK WANK'.

She seemed satisfied with just name dropping old characters and tying up loose ends in a couple of lines. For fucks sake, Rowling, people have been waiting for the ending of the series for ages and you make it as anti-climatic as possible.

Overall, yeah, it was pretty good, but it could've been so much better.

I had thought that Snape would die by protecting Harry from the Killing Curse, like Lilly had done, and then left Harry to kill Voldemort. I felt like the way Snape died was just way too anti-climactic. I was expecting him to die protecting Harry or standing up to Voldemort.

Zaz, you sound surprised that Rowling's lax writing abilities have interfered with the construction of a truly fitting end to the saga. Let's face it, none of the books are remarkably written (nor is the concept of a school of wizards and a 'chosen one vs. evil leader' particularly original). That's not to say I've not enjoyed the books - but it's no real surprise that the ending was a bit of a disappointment. She's just a weak writer with an excellent marketing team around her.

Zaz, you sound surprised that Rowling's lax writing abilities have interfered with the construction of a truly fitting end to the saga. Let's face it, none of the books are remarkably written (nor is the concept of a school of wizards and a 'chosen one vs. evil leader' particularly original). That's not to say I've not enjoyed the books - but it's no real surprise that the ending was a bit of a disappointment. She's just a weak writer with an excellent marketing team around her.

The epilogue there was just a huge wankfest for the fanboys and girls. 'Harry married Ginny! Ron married Hermione! WANK WANK WANK'. Couldn't she at least gone into a little more detail about the immediate aftermath rather than just the one throwaway line? I mean, the whole 7 books have been working to this point (of Harry vanquishing Voldemort) and she spends arse-all time saying what happened after.

Also, Rowling. Short sentences create tension! This only happened like once, with 'THE MINISTRY HAS FALLEN. SCRIMGEOUR IS DEAD. THEY ARE COMING.' One of the best things I've ever read in a book, but then every other sentence has like 3 commas and a hyphen or two in it. Quite a few of the sentences were poorly structured and I seem to remember a couple of typo's, so maybe they rushed it to get it ready for the July release? That could also explain why there was nothing about the immediate aftermath.

Also, she should learn how to write character's deaths and make it more epic (this goes for everything else too). Dobby's was okay, but everyone elses was just 'Oh, look, Lupin/Tonks/whoever is dead' and then a page or two later 'Harry's heart ached for Lupin/Tonks/whoever'. Again, short sentences. The same could be said for the Hermione/Ron kiss. It's been hyped up for ages and then it's just 'lol, they kissed. WANK WANK WANK'.

She seemed satisfied with just name dropping old characters and tying up loose ends in a couple of lines. For fucks sake, Rowling, people have been waiting for the ending of the series for ages and you make it as anti-climatic as possible.

And what about Headwig? The owl had been in the entire series! It dies early on and Harry's like....Oh crap, my owl is dead, and nothing more was mentioned about it. This may insignificant, but I think not considering the fact that he cried like a pussy over the grave of a dead elf.

Is it just me, or did it really feel like Snape's pre-death face turn was a desperate "Please stop hating Snape for killing Dumbledore, Voldemort's the one you're supposed to hate!" measure? I mean, it was sort of obvious that Voldemort was going down in this book regardless of whether Harry survived; Snape was the wild card. Will he live, will he die, will he help Harry, will he help Voldy, etc. I was hoping for a big-ass Harry/Snape duel that led to Snape inadvertantly trashing the horcrux inside of him, and inevitably Snape went down.

I also may have been hoping for Snape to blurt out that he, not James, is Harry's father, just for a :blink: factor.

To me, anyway, what she did with Snape is parallel to having Hogan drop the leg on Hall & Nash the night after the nWo was born.

A Harry/Snape duel would never have worked, because simply, Snape was far too strong for Harry. At the end of HBP Harry tried to attack Snape, but Snape easily deflected everything Harry had with ease. Harry's mother hadn't saved him from Snape, nor did they share any blood or have connections between their wands. Everything that made Harry so powerful against Voldemort would have no effect against Snape. A Snape/Voldemort duel would have been much more feesible.

I didn't see Snape's "face turn" as such. Snape has been portrayed as an ambigious character hardly ever showing any signs of emotion throughout the entire story. This revelation was strictly made to improve Snape's character and give closure, not to shift blame onto the main antagonist.

Edited by Javs

And what about Headwig? The owl had been in the entire series! It dies early on and Harry's like....Oh crap, my owl is dead, and nothing more was mentioned about it. This may insignificant, but I think not considering the fact that he cried like a pussy over the grave of a dead elf.

lol, true. The beginning of every book Hedwig was mentioned as his link to the wizarding world and a great friend, then all it was was 'Hedwig - NO!'. It seemed as if Rowling just wanted Hedwig out of the way ASAP. I didn't mind Hedwig being killed off early on, just that it was almost ignored.

Harry had other things on his mind, Like Voldy and the DE's trying to kill him, Hagrid falling off the bike, The sidecar detaching and ect.

Can't remember the chapter. Possible plot flaw.

There's something that stood out at me as a plot flaw. My memory may be a little off, but in book 6, I believe Dumbledore said that the reason Voldemort made 7 Horcruxes was because the number 7 was a magically powerful number. In book 7, it's then revealed that Harry is the 7th horcrux and that Voldemort made him that way unintentionally.

Also, which year is the seventh book based in?

lol, true. The beginning of every book Hedwig was mentioned as his link to the wizarding world and a great friend, then all it was was 'Hedwig - NO!'. It seemed as if Rowling just wanted Hedwig out of the way ASAP. I didn't mind Hedwig being killed off early on, just that it was almost ignored.