Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

ONO

Like you don't know what it's like to revel in a lack of decency! I'm sure most people that whinge about that would, if the tables were turned, do the same thing. I KNOW people that do that. They'll whinge and cry about HP spoilers but they've got no problem whatsoever spoiling movies or what have you for other people.

Plus, in the end, if it's a good book having it spoiled for you won't taint your enjoyment at all. At least knowing the ending to The Godfather or Taxi Driver didn't ruin it for me. That said, I don't really see much point in the end of going out of your way to spoil stuff.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/j_k_...at_harry_potter

WTF. Just WTF. :shifty:

Edited by Captain Cloudy

I've been holding out strong so far, guys. For some reason, I'm actually not too hyped for the book (I'm not as into them as I once was) so not reading the spoilers is actually pretty easy, I should easily make it to Saturday. For me, the problem is going to be not flipping to the end of the book as soon as I get it. I'm even going to try to avoid looking at the chapter titles if I can do it.

Honestly..I have to fucking laugh at the state of those fans on that video. :lol:

You do realise that The Onion is a satirical newspaper and tv show right, and it's actualy a piss take? :blink:

WIZARD BREAKING THE SABBATH

Israeli Minister Warns Against Harry Potter Sales

The final tale in the global phenomenon that is the Harry Potter series hits the bookshops on Friday night. But in Israel the launch coincides with the Sabbath. Booksellers are pledging to sell the book despite a government minister's warning of hefty fines.

Harry Potter fever is heating up across the world as the seventh and final installment of the boy wizard's tale is due to hit the bookshops on July 21. But in Israel the unfortunate timing of the the launch threatens to overshadow the event. The novel is scheduled to go on sale in the wee hours of Saturday morning -- slap bang in the middle of the Sabbath.

Israeli bookstores have pledged to go ahead with the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" at 2 a.m. Saturday as part of a huge global event. The books are being released simultaneously around the world and the final tale about the teenage wizard and his escapades is expected to be the fastest-selling book in history. "We will hold the launch as planned because we are contractually bound to do so," Alona Zamir, spokeswoman for the Steimatkzy book chain, told Reuters on Wednesday. "The book will go on sale here at the same time as in other places around the world."

The Sabbath runs from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday, a time during which pious Jews shun business dealings. Although most Israelis are secular, shops close on Saturday for reasons of tradition as well as to avoid mandatory fines and paying staff overtime.

Eli Yishai, a minister in Ehud Olmert's coalition government, and a member of the ultra-orthodox Shas party, is crying foul over Israel's participation in the Harry Potter phenomenon. The Industry, Trade and Labor Minister said this week that he will send inspectors to see which stores are taking part in the launch.

"It is forbidden, according to Jewish values and Jewish culture, that a thing like this should take place at 2 a.m. on Saturday. Let them do it another day," he told Israel Radio. He said he intends to impose fines on distributors of the book who violate the Hours of Work and Rest Law. "We must put a limit on the desire to imitate other nations," Yishai said on Tuesday. "It is inconceivable that numerous employees will be brought in to allow these events to take place and damage the spirit of the Shabbat."

And another ultra-orthodox politician, Avraham Ravitz of the United Torah Judaism Party, has also slammed Potter-mania in Israel: "We don't have to get carried away like monkeys and imitate the world in this kind of subculture."

Hey hey,

Some of you may have seen my random threads about the radio show I host...some of you may have casually ignored them, for which I don't blame thee! :shifty:

Well, seeing as the Harry Potter book comes out at midnight tonight, I would like to chat to a Harry Potter fan on the air about the book. Basically, it's just a three minute interview where I'll ask about how you became a fan and the importance of this book.

If you fancy it and you have some form of microphone/messenger combination drop me a line either on myspace (www.myspace.com/tontoenjoystheseaside) or email me at tonitifico@hotmail.com (add me on MSN Messenger if it's quicker).

Cheers, guys!

Ok, so the book is about to be released in a few hours in other countries, then later in the UK, and finally the US. As everyone reads at different speeds (some of us will finish in one night, others will take days or weeks, etc) I thought it'd be a nice idea to keep it spoiler free for everyone while still discussing the book by using the spoiler tags and placing the chapter number above it. This way if it says "Chapter 8" you'll know to expect discussion from chapters 1-8 in that spoiler tag.

Amazon will be delivering my tomorrow afternoon, or else I'd go to store tonight and get it, but that's a lot of work and waiting in line.

Well, if you were too cheap/poor to have pre-ordered the book and you'd just like to know the ins and outs of the plot, it's on Wiki. Surprisingly quickly, too. I imagine certain bits have been skipped/skimmed, but the basic integral details (ie: what they'll put in the resulting movie...) are all there.

This isn't an information spoiler, just a comment spoiler, but I'll play it safe for all you Potter fans...

Rowling's definition of "main character," as in "evil goes for main characters" when discussing that characters will die, requires some investigation.

I'm not going to spoil anything but WHAT A TWIST~~~~~~~~!

actually, in spoilers, I will. SO DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANNA GET IT SPOILED.

Harry sacrifices himself to Voldemort as he's the final horcrux like everyone thinks he is.. but he doesn't die. :blink: That's a fucking weak swerve, some M. Night shit imo. Maybe he can direct Deathly Hallows.