The Mafia Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I think that taking away the mafia's weapon is a dumb idea. Plus it would lead to meta-gaming as far as "was he really scum, was it a con that carried over, was he not a threat" based on whether or not a kill followed.

You know, for as much as I complained about Candor Falls being broken, I forgot how awesome MPH's claim of "nomadic anti-roleblocking antelope" was.

That and this line from Srar:

It's a game. Giant Apes don't really investigate people either.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. I wish I'd just sucked it up and finished that game. :(

For some reason, I really liked Candor Falls.

How do we feel about "if town lynches scum then said scum gets no nightkill that night" as an incentive to get the town swinging in the dark? I'm in about 4 games and nobody's lynching anybody in any of them. It's beyond ridiculous.
One thing I really hate is the "random townie dies" stipulation most people put on deadlines. It encourages the scum to stall discussion, not push for any sort of concensus, and simply wait for the apathy to take hold. I think, since more or less everyone is doing it, it leads to game death.

But see, in the early parts of a game, I think it can help (or at least, hopefully so), because the town is usually big enough that even if the mafia tries to stall, the town can still get a lynch done with some participation.

Though I didn't like doing it in Divine Comedy, and would probably do something else for any future mafias I might would try to run.

Whatever happened to 'Random Person Dies' in comparison to just 'Random Townie'. That way it forces the scum to post just as much as the town does.

Or just have the person with the least posts killed. If that wont inspire activity, I don't know what will.

• Admin

You know what - I'm going to go back to the idea I had a few months back about compiling a "League Table" to complement the Survival Standings, giving points for being part of a victorious town or mob, even if you were killed.

Might take a bit of time to put together, but might get some people active at least, knowing there will be at least some recognition for their efforts.

The day phase is the Town's weapon. If they choose to piss it away, the scum players should not be penalised.
A no lynch is rewarding the town's lack of decisiveness. Killing a random townie encourages the scum to deliberately sabotague activity in a game. It gives them an incentive to not be active.

Whatever happened to 'Random Person Dies' in comparison to just 'Random Townie'. That way it forces the scum to post just as much as the town does.

Or just have the person with the least posts killed. If that wont inspire activity, I don't know what will.

This. I think it's unfair for just a random townie to die, and allow a lurking scum to simply survive through to the later part of the game.

I plan on randomly modkilling anybody from Australia in my game if activity drops.

If it works out, I encourage all others to try it as well.

So, you're sacrificing yourself in future games? :wacko:

Well, lurking is actually a good strategy for a scummy, and doesn't go against the spirit of the game provided the scum DOES get active at one point, lurking is in essence laying low and floating under the radar, and a scummy that's paying attention but simply pretending to not be around can gain a serious advantage by coming in late with alot of gathered information and an apology. Even if the information turns out to be total bullshit.

Granted, some might find it distasteful play, but I can see how it works, and why someone might lurk as scum.

But when lurking turns from being apart of the game to disinterest and actual abandonment, that's where it becomes the problem, and really I'm not sure how to solve that as a barely functioning game runner.

Well, lurking is actually a good strategy for a scummy, and doesn't go against the spirit of the game provided the scum DOES get active at one point, lurking is in essence laying low and floating under the radar, and a scummy that's paying attention but simply pretending to not be around can gain a serious advantage by coming in late with alot of gathered information and an apology. Even if the information turns out to be total bullshit.

Granted, some might find it distasteful play, but I can see how it works, and why someone might lurk as scum.

But when lurking turns from being apart of the game to disinterest and actual abandonment, that's where it becomes the problem, and really I'm not sure how to solve that as a barely functioning game runner.

I don't know whether it's either disinterest or lazy play of simply wanting someone else to come in with the info or lead. This is of course if you're town.

If you're scum, however, I understand it's good strategy, but when only the town can be punished for lack of activity, I find that a little unfair. It shouldn't only be the town to be the one to keep the game moving.

The problem with lurking is that it requires no skill whatsoever. There's always *someone* posting who will be more suspicious than you, and getting the town to start lynching all lurkers instead of the active suspicious guy is an incredibly hard task.

I can speculate at all manner of things as to why the games drag: people relying too much on power roles, townies having this ridiculous notion that winning = surviving the game, people afraid to cast bandwagon votes, and so on. Eliminating lurking may help increase activity, but it's really just one problem out of many.

That said, I'm going to try a new strategy next game: every time I fail to get a lynch via deadline, I replace/modkill all players who haven't posted that day phase. I think a line needs to be drawn between lurking and complete inactivity, and that's the line I'm gonna draw.