What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Prestige - 8.9/10

Fantastic film, adding to my belief that I'll love anything directed by Chris Nolan or anything at all with Christian Bale. The ending was brilliant, really went with the whole idea of "once you know the prestige, the trick is ruined" if you know what I mean. The usual style of splitting up the film that Nolan loves. Bale did a fantastic performance as Borden and Jackman was brilliant as well, but I do think he was out shined by Bale, which considering the story is perhaps not such a bad thing. Also Michael Caine will forever be awesome.

Rachel Getting Married

A decent movie made into a good movie thanks to a stellar performance from Anne Hathaway. The movie's run time was almost two hours and at least 25 minutes could've been cut from scenes going on WAY too long. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but sometimes I was so bored, I felt like I was at an actual wedding.

Let The Right One In

I can understand why this was being called the "Anti-Twilight," because it's definitely not something that will ever be a part of pop culture. Atmospheric, different, edgy and an instant cult classic.

Lakview Terrace- 5/10

Samuel Jackson is a great actor and in fact if you total up the earnings of all his movies, no other actor in history even comes close. so to see him in this forced, drab movie was sad. i really wanted to see this movie only to be disappointed. as with snakes on a plane, we all must learn that having a movie with samuel jackson in it yelling at everybody and being a smart ass does not make it good. this movie seemed to be really written with him in mind and not much thought after that. poor one liners, a weak main character i never cared about and actually got annoyed with because he kept going back to jackson for the abuse and then took it like a little bitch because the script called for him to be the poor white boy victim role. screw that! the fighting with his wife literally comes out of nowhere...white boy gets punked by jackson and the next scene he literally fights with his wife over nothing and then says he doesnt even know who she is anymore. WHAT?? um, where did that come from? more forced drama...

anyway, jackson is a cop...he has big beef with his neighbor...its not that hard to guess how this predictable movie ends.

i would not watch this again. same as snakes on a plane. cmon samuel....

Not to double post, but I just watched this.

Twilight - 9.5/10

The best film I've seen in a long time by far. It blew me away. Kristen Stewart was unbelievable. The movie, the picture, it's just all shot so beautifully. Some of the scenes are just breath taking. I feel like I'm over reacting, but fucking hell I loved this movie. Certainly a must see for anyone.

No, no, a thousand times no.

If it's one thing I can't stand any less than this movie is the whole subculture and vernacular it has spawned. Team Edward vs. Team Jacob? Fanpires? Ugh. True Blood does what Twilight attempts to do 1000 times better. Then again I'm a bit biased because all my girlfriend does is rant and rave about Twilight and all of it's drama. So much that it drives me crazy, and makes me hate the movie. <_<

Marley & Me - 6/10

The missus dragged me along to this (I owed her one after dragging her to Watchmen. Of course, she conventiently forgets that she liked it >_>), and turns out it's not a bad movie. Nothing I'd want to see again, but I didn't feel cheated, and it was an alright way to put in a couple of hours.

Slumdog Millionaire: 7/10

After all the hype from the Oscars, I was expecting something phenomenal, but I wasn't really that impressed. Although the frame story was rather different, the actual plot was rather cliche. I thought it dragged a bit at times, and some parts were just silly.

Push: 6/10

A decent plot, killed by rather wooden acting. It was alright, but I wouldn't really watch it again.

Coming Soon: -/10

Typical Asian horror movie, that isn't really so much scary as it is amusing. I wouldn't recommend watching if you're expecting anything serious, but if you plan to go in and take the piss out of the movie, then it's not a bad way to kill some time.

Not to double post, but I just watched this.

Twilight - 9.5/10

The best film I've seen in a long time by far. It blew me away. Kristen Stewart was unbelievable. The movie, the picture, it's just all shot so beautifully. Some of the scenes are just breath taking. I feel like I'm over reacting, but fucking hell I loved this movie. Certainly a must see for anyone.

No, no, a thousand times no.

If it's one thing I can't stand any less than this movie is the whole subculture and vernacular it has spawned. Team Edward vs. Team Jacob? Fanpires? Ugh. True Blood does what Twilight attempts to do 1000 times better. Then again I'm a bit biased because all my girlfriend does is rant and rave about Twilight and all of it's drama. So much that it drives me crazy, and makes me hate the movie. <_<

God yes, True Blood is everything that Twilight wanted to be but done right. I can't stand when people in my class go on about Twilight like it's the definition of what a vampire film should be, and then start to argue about how the vampires in Twilight are what every vampire should be. GLITTER IN THE SUN? REALLY? REALLY?

Speaking of True Blood, Anna Paquin will be returning to our screens June 14th when True Blood series 2 begins. :) I'm still waiting to be able to buy the first series on DVD, because it's honestly the best show I've seen in a long time.

Ironically, the last thing I watched was the Twilight Movie just about two-three hours ago.

Horrible. I am a huge fan of the books, but the movie was just... urgh. Despised it. They pretty much killed many of the major parts like they do in most books2movies, but this, like many others, couldn't pull them off. Needs to be burned. >_<

Not seen any True Blood before, somebody tell me about it please. You guys talking about it have me intrested. :shifty:

Edited by Black Majik

Ironically, the last thing I watched was the Twilight Movie just about two-three hours ago.

Horrible. I am a huge fan of the books, but the movie was just... urgh. Despised it. They pretty much killed many of the major parts like they do in most books2movies, but this, like many others, couldn't pull them off. Needs to be burned. >_<

Not seen any True Blood before, somebody tell me about it please. You guys talking about it have me intrested. :shifty:

True Blood is an HBO Series starring Anna Paquin and its based on Charlaine Harris's novels Dead Until Dark, A Touch of Dead, Dead and Gone etc.. You'll find that many of the themes are very similar to what is presented in the Twilight series. However True Blood is targeted to a more adult audience, and the series does a much better job at pulling you into the universe than Twilight did for me. The premise is that every day society has discovered that Vampires exist and are living among them every day. Thanks to the invention of synthetic blood called "True Blood" Vampires no longer need to survive on human blood and can purchase and consume to True Blood to keep them going. However, there's those who choose not to of course.

Edited by Sean IdO'lHaire

I Love You, Man - 7/10

I'm so happy that Paul Rudd has ascended through the ranks of Apatow supporting roles to find himself a legitimate star. Last year's "Role Models" showed his ability to carry a movie on the back of his Chevy Chase-esque delivery; this time around he couples that with a performance similar to some of the more subdued roles of earlier in his career and tackles a character suspiciously more complex than is usual for frat-comedy-fare. Jason Segel follows up his sleeper hit "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" with a role that actually takes him even further over the top. He commits with just as much enthusiasm, and delivers the greatest Andre the Giant impersonation I've ever heard. It's a bit uneven in places, but the encouraging result is that the Frat Pack seems to be maturing a bit and the result is a funny yet entirely relatable comedy.

You Kill Me - 8.5/10

Ben Kingsley is awesome, there's no denying it. He was awesome in this movie as he always is and Dennis Farina and Luke Wilson were pretty good in their roles as well. Tea Leoni was nice to look at but the character was a bit annoying even though she didn't do a bad job in the role, it's just that it was poorly written. It was well-directed and for those curious, it was directed by the same guy that directed Ronders.

Killshot - 7/10

Mickey Rourke's acting was a bit stiff but that's because the character seemed a bit stiff, or at least that's what it seemed like. Either way, he wasn't exactly convincing when he would talk in short sentences but when he had a monologue it was good. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was awesome and I am glad to see that he's starting to get feature roles in movies as since Brick he's proven that he's capable of carrying a movie with his talent. It's just a shame he'll probably linked with Shia LaBeouf as Gordon-Levitt is easily the better actor. Rosario Dawson is alright but has probably about 10 minutes of screen time. And then Diane Lane and Thomas Janes are good as the married couple. Overall, not a bad movie but probably could've been a lot better with a better script.

True Blood is an HBO Series starring Anna Paquin and its based on Charlaine Harris's novels Dead Until Dark, A Touch of Dead, Dead and Gone etc.. You'll find that many of the themes are very similar to what is presented in the Twilight series. However True Blood is targeted to a more adult audience, and the series does a much better job at pulling you into the universe than Twilight did for me. The premise is that every day society has discovered that Vampires exist and are living among them every day. Thanks to the invention of synthetic blood called "True Blood" Vampires no longer need to survive on human blood and can purchase and consume to True Blood to keep them going. However, there's those who choose not to of course.

Note also that Charlaine Harris can write worth a damn.

I watched the Battlestar Galactica finale. The first hour was good. The second hour was some of the worst TV I've ever witnessed because of how efficiently it shat on all of the series that preceded it. If you want some bile, PM me and ask about it.

Confederate States Of America

Framed in the style of a documentary made by the "British Broadcasting Service" and aired on confederate TV with commercials for products such as "Darkie Toothpaste" and "Sambo Axle Grease", this is a good mockumentary that details the history of the United States - erm, Confederate States - from Lincoln's defeat and exile to Canada up to the new millenium. What surprised me the most about the film is that some of the products advertised in the commercials - Darkie Toothpaste, Coon Chicken Inn, and the like - were actually real products. Overall, it's a pretty good film. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in mockumentaries, alternate histories etc.

Comparing Twilight to True Blood is like comparing Dora the Explorer to South Park.

Over at another board I go to, there was a discussion about the Twilight, where some people brought up the series of novels, and the consensus was the author has about as much skill as a bad fanfic writer.

Edited by GhostMachine

The first season of True Blood is over, but I defo recommend watching it. It gets pretty gory at times but worth a watch.

Watched Battlestar Galatica pilot yesterday after a friend insisted on me watching it. 3 hours, goddamn, but it was pretty good. Now I need to find a way to watch all the other episodes online :shifty: