What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I went to the drive in last night which featured the double feature of The Day After Tomorrow and Kill Bill Volume2. The thing is, I was SO TIRED after sitting through Day After Tomorrow that I was only able to sit there and deal with the heat and my weary eyes for the first 30 mins of Kill Bill. It looks better than the original though. As for the other:

The Day After Tomorrow: 5/10

I guess it was a good thing that a bunch of my friends, virtually every critic, and those on this VERY BOARD had all panned TDAT universally, cuz as I sat there watching it expecting the very worst, I was pleasantly surprised. The Special Effects are quite good, the acting is just there, and the story is beyond belief hackneyed, cliched, and just bad. However when you expect this to the the worst film of all time, it really isn't all that bad overall. It was mildly amusing in parts, and sort of fun.

If you go into it looking for something good, as I did with that pile of shit Van Helsing, then you will surely hate it, but if you go into it expecting it to be the worst of the worst, then you might find yourself having a bit of fun. It's bad, but not bad in a Deep Impact sort of way. Speaking of which...

Deep Impact: 2/10

I originally saw this when it was released, as my buddy and myself thought that this looked to be the GOOD "asteroid crashes into earth" movie of that year. Sadly, we were wrong, and the $8 and two and a half hours that we lost sitting in the theater making fun of of Tea Leoni's moustache and watching this crap was proof positive of that. When I saw it in the video store the other day, for 50 cents on DVD mind you, I thought that maybe I had been too harsh on it and rented it, years after my initial viewing.

I had been to kind. This truly is one of the worst movies I have ever endured, and I endured it twice. The acting is horrid, and no amount of Morgan Freeman can save a bad film, as the Alex Ross films will prove ad nauseum. There is nothing likeable about this film at all. NOTHING. And if you can sit there and feel anything for these characters as they run from a wave of water with boats and jet skis on the top of their cars and die, while a a kid on a fucking bike is able to survive, then you should go see Van Helsing, you'll love it.

TGC

Edited by thegodcomplex

B0001WTWDI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Station Agent - 8/10

For those who are of the assumption that small people cannot act (most likely due to the horrible memory of Gary Coleman and Vern Troyer), The Station Agent will come as a huge shock. Starring Peter Dinklage (a terrific actor whose height has kept him back for far too long), the film tells the story of Finbar McBride, a man who moves to Newfoundland, New Jersey after inheriting a small piece of land from his recently deceased friend. The rest of the film chronicles the bonds he forms with a recently seperated wife Olivia (Patricia Clarkson), a son running his father's burger truck named Joe (Bobby Cannavale), and the librarian Emily (Michelle Williams). The cast is superb; not one person is unconvincing in their roles. This is especially true for Clarkson, who has become something of a sure thing on the Indy scene. It's also a pretty poignant examination of what it's like to be different in modern America. This need not apply to merely those with dwarfism, but also nearly anyone who's had the unfortunate predicament of not fitting in. Thumbs up, and a must see for fans of the craft of characterization.

Guest TheTokenWhiteGuy

Osmosis Jones- 5/10

Has its good parts, but the parts that arent animated just aren't very good, also Bill Murry isn't very funny in it.

Bound (1996) 8/10

Okay, movie-making lesson, kids. Take the Wachowski brothers. Add Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly. Add a steamy sex scene and a mob storyline. And finally, add Joe Pantiliano. That is Bound in a nutshell. This was the film that showed that the Wachowskis were ready to go Matrix on us.

Soul Plane - 4/10

Pretty Bad Movie. I give it a point for each of the following things.

1 point for the banging white chick.

1 point for the smoking spanish chick.

1 point for the good looking black chick.

and 1 point for Tom Arnold.

Stupid movie with no plot, but occasionally funny.

Pink Floyd : The Wall - 8/10

Bizarre Movie. A big long music video for the Wall. But me being a Pink Floyd fan liked it, very interesting, one of those movies where you draw your own conclusions.

A Life Less Ordinary, I really like it too. Picked it up in a 3 for £10 deal on DVDs along with Crouching Tiger and Swordfish, haven't watched the other two yet.

Plus it has a cracking couple of songs in it: Ash's 'A Life Less Ordinary' and Oasis' 'Round Are Way'.

Dawn Of The Dead- 9/10. Thought it was a great movie, which was quite the funny in some places.

Van Helsing- 6.5/10. I liked it, but then again, I might be too generous in my reviews

Paycheck- 6/10. Interesting, and well thought of, though it was most likely based on something (there was a book to it I know of)

Edit: Altered my ratings a bit after reading/hearing what others have said/say

Edited by Zaz

The RunDown- 7/10

Above Standard action fair, good chemistry between Sean and The Rock, and Walken is always cool.

Watched a lot during the weekend:

Terminator 3 4/10 This installment just doesn't feel right. With no James Cameron directing and the addition of humor that really doesn't follow the previous Terminator's lines, this one just isn't as good as comparible to T2 or even the original in story.

From Justin To Kelly 0.5/10 I came into this movie knowing it would be crap and laughed at the bad songs. This, indeed, is the second worst movie I have ever seen.

Terminator 2 8/10 I watched this after T3 and I am happy for that. T2's elaborate action scenes are still amazing to watch today, 12 years after the film was released. Not to mention, the story is good as well.

X2 - 8/10 : Hey, personally, I enjoyed the movie. The plot, IMO was a lot better than the first film.

School of Rock - 8/10 : I found it funny, but maybe it's just me. Some of the humor *could* go over peoples heads if they don't know a little about metal/rock, but I still enjoyed it.

Harry Potter and The Prizoner of Azkaban: 9/10

I rated it a little higher this time, becuase I didn't feel 8.5 was good enough. It really is a great movie....at least for me it was.