MMA News and Discussion Thread

Clay Guida vs. Mac Danzig has been added to UFC 87. It's Guida so you know you're in for an explosive matchup.

So has anyone watched UFC 84? Since it's past 24 hours since the show went on, I will be talking about what happened so you might not want to continue past this if you haven't watched yet.

Just got done watching UFC 84. Not a bad night. I liked seeing Machida land that beautiful knee on Ortiz. Ortiz locking in that triangle choke/armbar combination was awesome, though. But Machida has grown on me lately and I wanted to see him continue to win and he did here. What's next for Machida now? I think he is deserving of a title shot at this point. Goran Reljic vs. Wilson Gouveia was a solid fight. The Wanderlei Silva we all have come to know from Pride was back in a big way tonight. Great knockout on Keith Jardine. And BJ Penn just picking apart Sherk with jabs was great. And that knee to the head was a thing of beauty. Wonderful. So as we all pretty much knew, Penn has no desire to stick with the lightweight division and wants GSP and a welterweight title shot. So if GSP gets past Fitch in August, it looks like we'll probably see GSP vs. Penn II which, at this stage where both are at their best ever, should be awesome.

Also, Shane Carwin looked really good in his UFC debut. Solid addition to the heavyweight division right there. And Sokoudjo called out Shogun after he won his first UFC fight. I don't think they'll be putting that together just yet.

Purposely avoided this thread so as not to spoil it, since I get it on a one day delay. Due to the sheer quickness of some matches, we got a pretty stacked card here.

They opened up with Mendes and Silva. A very quick match where Mendes rocked Silva early on with a lovely high kick, Silva fought back, got Mendes on his back and Mendes didn't really have an idea what he was doing. As soon as Silva mounted it was just a matter of time before he was dragged off and declared the victor. Explosive start, better than a 15 minute drag fest where the fighters were too scared to fight, got me in the mood for the event at least.

Up next Machida vs. Ortiz. I was backing Machida, am a big fan of his and expected him to win this on decision, as I saw him winning comfortably, but not managing to stop Ortiz. He came very close to at the end of the first round though, because he had the head isolated pretty well. Ortiz was being a big gay acting as if Machida wasn't fighting back, if he didn't realise he spent most of the round swinging at air and then being kicked in the leg and punched in the face. Machida was a step above Ortiz, and he's going to be a big star. Joe Rogan said elusive about 64 times I believe.

Straight into Reljic and Gouveia. And boy did I find it fun. It was more the way they just stood off and Gou got the upper hand on the punching encounters but his right shoulder was just red raw, Reljic sending in some sick shots to the face and arm of Gouveia. He got predictable with them after a while, should have switched up some more body and leg kicks in their earlier but still, was surprising when it came down to a left punch that put Gouveia on his back. Glad to see Reljic win though, he's an absolute specimen.

Then they threw in Carwin vs. Wellisch for us from earlier, just to fill some time and to show us all about this Carwin dude. He's an ex-footballer I believe isn't he? Either way him and Wellisch just stood and threw some punches, and then Carwin stepped in and caught him with a nice right straight across the face. At the end of the day though, Wellisch could probably have done the exact same and it would have been the same outcome. Carwin looks good though.

Back to the main program and we got Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine next. 40 seconds later, Jardine was on his back and I was psyched for the main event. Silva caught him nicely, sent him down once but didn't seem to do too much damage. The next time he dropped him and Jardine was out like a light. Surprised the referee let it go on as long as it did.

The next match was back to the undercard as we saw Salaverry wind down his career by being slickly submitted by an impressive Palhares. The transition into in that armbar was as nice as you will ever see, so quick and so beautiful. He looks good. Also the way he quickly got into mount was impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing him fight some younger and better opponents.

And now, it's time for the main event of the evening. Man, as much as Sherk gets a lot of stick for his 'lay and pray' tactics as it were - although we didn't see that this evening. I know he's meant to be a dull fighter, but man, look at the guy. He's an absolute machine, ripped to hell. When he was walking around the octagon he gave new meaning to "pacing around like a cage animal" because he wanted Penn's blood. Didn't get it though and the Prodigy opened up three times, twice on the cheeks and on on the eye. Penn was just stepping in and hitting some nice jabs to keep Sherk back, and Sherk couldn't land any of his crazy-fisted swings. In the end it was three pretty average punches, Sherk backed into the cage - must have been momentum as he was hardly going to be gassed... it's Sherk afterall - and Penn just measures up a lovely knee to the face and good night Sherk. Penn rains punches down until the end of the round and the fight is stopped, first by Penn and then by the referee.

All in all, a highly enjoyable fight. It had a good mix of your ground paced stuff, it had people standing and trading. It had people being knocked out, it had stoppages, it had submissions and it had decisions. I really enjoyed that event and glad I stayed in to watch it last night.

Let's see where The Dragon, Machida goes from here. And what I love about Penn is that it's not about reigning supreme in his division, its about hunting down the big name guys (he is one too obviously) and going for them. People will remember him for dominating the lightweight division, but also beating Hughes, stepping up weight classes to take on Machida of all people and although losing, sticking with him for the full match. Penn can and probably will go down in the history books, and his fight with GSP has the potential to be something special.

Guest Dr. Potato Head

Buy WMMA. :shifty:

Seriously though, UFC 84 from this past weekend would be great...it'll give you an idea who some of the big stars are, and had some very good matches. Plus you'll be up to speed on everything already.

Alrighty. Any other "classic" events as well though?

I watched about half of UFC 1 and loved it, if only because of the atrocious announcing and the first fight being ridiculously shit.

I was rooting for that sumo guy :(

Bobby Lashley has apparently signed with American Fight League according to MMAJunkie and will be announced officially during the event they have tonight. Does anyone know if American Fight League airs anywhere? I'd be interested in seeing how he does when he has his first fight.

Also Gina Carano came in 4 1/2 pounds over the 140 limit (not that anyone was expecting her to actually make it anyway) but, as MMAJunkie put it, "New Jersey Deputy Attorney General Nick Lembo told MMAjunkie.com the Gina Carano-Kaitlin Young bout was scheduled to be contested at 140 pounds. Both fighters were aware that Carano would be over weight before the weigh-ins, and a percentage of Carano's purse was awarded to Young. Lembo was unsure of the amount but believed it to be 12 to 12.5 percent."

Why don't they just make it a 145 weight class? She never makes 140. It is odd, the 140 was made specifically for her but she can never make it.

Anyways, big weekend for MMA as you got EliteXC tomorrow night live on CBS and the WEC 34: Faber vs. Pulver on Sunday night on Versus. Here are the cards:

EliteXC: Primetime

MAIN CARD (TELEVISED)

* Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (235.5) vs. James Thompson (257)

* EliteXC champ Robbie Lawler (184.5) vs. Scott Smith (184.5)

* Gina Carano (144.5) * vs. Kaitlin Young (140.5)

* Jon Murphy (260.5) vs. Brett Rogers (263.5)

* Phil Baroni (185) vs. Joey Villasenor (184.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD (INTERNET)

* Carlton Haselrig (263) vs. Carlos Moreno (261)

* Jim Bova (160.5) vs. Chris Liguori (161)

* Matt Makowski (171) vs. Nick Serra (167)

* Wilson Reis (140.5) vs. Justin Robbins (140.5)

* James "Binky" Jones (154.5) vs. Calvin Kattar (155.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD (UN-AIRED)

* Zach Makovsky (135) vs. Andre Soares (134)

* Mike Groves (154) vs. Joe Sampieri (155)

WEC 34: Faber vs. Pulver

MAIN CARD

* Champ Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver -- for WEC featherweight title

* Champ Miguel Torres vs. Yoshiro Maeda -- for WEC bantamweight title

* Chuck Grigsby vs. Mark Munoz

* Kenneth Alexander vs. Rob McCullough

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Donald Cerrone vs. Rich Crunkilton

* Mike Brown vs. Jeff Curran

* Chase Beebe vs. Will Ribeiro

* Tim McKenzie vs. Jeremy Lang

* Luis Sapo vs. Alex Serdyukov

* Jose Aldo vs. Alexandre Nogueira

* Dominick Cruz vs. Charlie Valencia

Okay, wait... is the show completely live? Like, it'll be live in every time zone? So 9 eastern, 6 pacific? Or is it airing at 9 PM in all markets?

If it's live, which means 6 Pacific, then will there be repeat showings at all? Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals starts at 5 PT tomorrow night, so I won't be able to watch EXC unless they show the event again afterwards.

Interested in the Urijah, Torres and Lawler matches. And will watch the Kimbo Slice fight. I don't like him, but I want them to build him up until he runs into a good opponent. Then hopefully he'll fall face first onto their knee.. repeatedly.

Guest Dr. Potato Head

You'd think that would be the natural thing for Kimbo - give him Butterbean, Tank Abbott, all the freakshow guys who don't really pose much of a threat. Then Ken Shamrock before having him finally get destroyed by Antonio Silva or someone.