MMA News and Discussion Thread

I wouldn't say it put EXC on equal footing with UFC. I don't put alot of stock in this whole attracting casual fans stuff, as UFC pulls in monster PPV numbers, showing that they don't really need to do anything to pull in casual fans, their fan base is growing exponentially anyways. I'm willing to bet most of the audience that tuned into EXC was UFC fans who wanted to see how it stacked up. No one is touching UFC, no matter how many "casual fans" they pull in. Odds are any casual fans who do get interested in the product will migrate over to UFC anyways, as the competition is head and shoulders above that of EXC.

Edited by Maxx

Guest Dr. Potato Head

Two problems with that, Maxx...

1) EXC's best shows are relatively free, while UFC's are not. That alone is a plus in EXC's column.

2) I don't think anywhere close to the majority of EXC's viewers were UFC fans looking to check out the competition. If it were, those guys would have been watching the whole show - and almost three times as many people were watching Kimbo/Thompson as watched Rogers/Murphy. People were flicking around their dials, saw EXC, and decided to keep it there. I have no proof to back this up, but I suspect that many of those people would have never seen a UFC event in their life.

Yeah, but lets say those people got hooked on MMA from that show and look into it? Whats the chances they don't start following UFC?

Well if they happen to get hooked on MMA (not just future Kimbo fights) thanks to EXC, the chances of them tuning into the next UFC are extremely likely. Paying for it, who knows, but if some how they managed to get truly hooked, to the point where that person can claim they have become an MMA fan, they'll be checking out UFC on June 7th one way or the other. If they have means, that is.

Again, that's if they are hooked. Clearly a lot of folks came to see Kimbo and may have left just wanting to see more Kimbo on CBS.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

This past Saturday's "EliteXC: PRIMETIME" event, which aired on CBS as part of the new "Saturday Night Fights" series, peaked with 6.51 million viewers during a main event between Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson and James Thompson, according to updated Nielsen live plus same day ratings for May 31.

The ratings for the final 51 minutes of the event weren't initially available because the event ran past its two-hour scheduled time.

The addition of that data lifted ratings for the entire broadcast and eclipsed previous U.S. MMA ratings records held by the UFC and Spike TV.

The UFC's two highest rated events on Spike TV are UFC 75 (5.93 million viewers) and UFC Final Chapter: Ortiz vs. Shamrock III (5.89 million), according to a an email sent today by Spike TV. Spike TV is in 96.1 million homes. CBS is in 112.8 million.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported on Sunday, the 9 to 11 p.m. Eastern portion of the show did a 2.7 rating and a 5 share, an audience of 4.3 million viewers, according to preliminary Nielsen ratings for Saturday.

While leading up to the event, EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw had estimated the show would garner anywhere from four million to 10 million viewers.

The event delivered an overall 3.0/06 (rating/share) with 4.85 million viewers; 2.2/07 in both adults 25-54 and adults 18-49; 2.3/09 in adults 18-34; 3.1/09 in men 25-54; 3.0/10 in men 18-49; and 3.2/12 in men 18-34.

"Saturday Night Fights" cleared approximately 95 percent of CBS stations in the country. The telecast was pre-empted in those remaining markets due to coverage of the Children’s Miracle Network Telethon.

Much like Spike TV's brodcast of The Ultimate Fighter 1 Finale that put the UFC on the map in 2005, Saturday's EliteXC broadcast saw half-hour gains in viewers throughout the broadcast. A total of 3.38 million viewers were watching at 9 p.m., and the broadcast peaked at 6.51 million at 11:30 p.m.

EliteXC also today announced that a replay of "EliteXC: PRIMETIME" will air on Showtime on Friday, June 13 at 11 p.m. ET/PT.

Credit: MMAjunkie.com

So, what's the fallout of Saturday's show, in terms of MMA's mainstream acceptance?

I've seen everything from people proclaiming its going to overtake boxing, to people saying it doesn't belong on network TV, due to the brutality. I didn't get a chance to see the show, but what I did see didn't look too bad. Yeah, Thompson was bloody, but it looked to mostly be due to his cauliflower ear. Didn't even hear any backlash against the women's bout.

I have to admit, I'm mostly a casual fan. I know the bigger names, and recognize most of the 'good' fighters, but thats about it.

Didn't they create a weight class specifically for her? I read somewhere that she's never made weight.

From what I saw, Kimbo isn't ever going to be anything other than a sideshow. They can trot him out to fight cans, and make money that way, fair play, but he's just doesn't have it in him to take the next step and turn into a truly legitimate fighter.

Oh don't get me wrong, totally unprofessional and she deserves shit for not cutting the weight. I was just referring to the broken record that surrounds every fight she has well in advance that completely fails to acknowledge the bottom line: that she has exciting fights and is good for the sport. Not so much the "she failed to make weight again? How unprofessional" as much as the "I hope Young knocks that fat bitch out". :shifty:

Edited by GoodGodWhatAB-Jay

--The Sunday WEC show going head-to-head with One Night Stand did a 1.4 rating. It was one of the highest rated shows in the history of Versus.

--The Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell special going head-to-head with Elite XC did a 1.2 rating and Ultimate Iceman did a 0.9 rating

I believe WEC's prior highest rating was a 1.0 (I'm pretty sure Bryan Alvarez had mentioned that last week), so that's pretty awesome. I'm also glad that UFC didn't try too hard to counter-program EXC. Not only is it now abundantly clear that they would have gotten spanked due to EXC's network placing, but trying to kneecap a big moment in the history of your sport is just a bad idea. And hell, the success of this EXC show has probably improved their chances of getting a nice deal with FOX. What a good weekend for MMA.

It gets better with UFC 85. I don't know how people can trash it for anything but the losses of the card.

Alves is going to be a star if he beats Hughes, not that he wasn't getting there with a win over Karo. Marquardt vs. Leites? Excited for that. I'm certain if the pre-Sylvia Vera comes to play, Vera/Werdum will be a great heavyweight fight. Even though it was Sylvia's awesome vertical lay n' pray that stunk shit up. It's a shame people still haven't seen the very best of Werdum yet, because he was on his way to being a big deal in PRIDE and I have no reason to believe he can't keep going in that direction. Davis vs. Swick should be a great fight. Jason Day is starting to get a lot of cred, especially here in Canada. A lot of folks are thinking he's going to be a complete gamer and really bring it to Bisping. Nothing I've seen from Day would make me disagree, Bisping is a hell of an intense fighter, so it should be pretty damn good too.

You get Wiman/Tavares and Kampmann/Rivera as two really good prelim bouts too.

I love this card, maybe just because I'm really starting to get behind Nate, Alves, Davis, and even Bisping. And they are all against opponents that should bring out the best in them.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Yeah I can't wait for UFC 85. All the fights look really good. Davis vs. Swick has the potential to be a great fight. I am looking forward to seeing how Alves does against Hughes. White already said he has a guaranteed title shot from beating Parisyan but he didn't want to wait around for Fitch to get his shot and then wait another four or so months for his turn, so if he beats Hughes I am sure he will still be the next challenger for the Welterweight title.

Its a shame for Rogers really, because they won't match him up against Kimbo untill they absolutely have to, cause Rogers will probably win that fight easily.